aspiesw

How to cope with negative thoughts and emotions?

Nesf

I'm in the same boat, it's something I also need help with. I find that it's no good trying to talk to others because they only want to know you when you are happy and smiling, when you have problems they don't want to know. I'm always being told not to be so negative, and a family member even told me recently that she didn't want to talk to me when I was miserable and depressed, which hurt me. So I have to deal with it on my own.

Mike_GX101

There's an interesting link here about how emotions physically affect the body: see here.

Edited by Mike_GX101

RiRi
On 1/6/2014 at 6:18 AM, Nesf said:

a family member even told me recently that she didn't want to talk to me when I was miserable and depressed, which hurt me

That is not nice. If people really care about you, they are with you when you are happy and also when you're sad. 

RiRi

How I cope sometimes when I get negative thoughts when someone's being mean is figuring that this person is probably miserable in their life and because of this, they are subconsciously, maybe, maybe not, making others feel miserable because they are miserable themselves. They are rude to everyone. If a person says something bad about you and they don't like you, it's garbage. Because a person who doesn't like you will always find something to dislike. Basically, I try to come up with an explanation as to why that person is acting this way. Sometimes there are just bad or mean people out there.

Nesf
1 hour ago, RiRi said:

How I cope sometimes when I get negative thoughts when someone's being mean is figuring that this person is probably miserable in their life and because of this, they are subconsciously, maybe, maybe not, making others feel miserable because they are miserable themselves. They are rude to everyone. If a person says something bad about you and they don't like you, it's garbage. Because a person who doesn't like you will always find something to dislike. Basically, I try to come up with an explanation as to why that person is acting this way. Sometimes there are just bad or mean people out there.

Yes, this is true. People want you to feel how they are feeling, whether that be joy or sorrow. Some people are miserable and they resent that another person is feeling happy and want them to be miserable too. They are jealous of the happiness of others.

PandaPrincess

I've been trying to act more positive about things so that people will like me more, but deep down, I still have some pretty negative emotions buried below the surface.  Like lately, I've been feeling left out on Discord (a site for gamers) because everyone else seems to play when I'm not playing, and vice versa.  I feel some pretty heavy jealousy and just the feeling of being left out because everyone else is having fun playing with each other, and I am not.  You would think that an online group wouldn't have me feel so left out, but it does.  It feels just like a regular, irl social group where I'm always left out and don't get invited to anything.  Obviously, I haven't expressed my feelings to any of them because they would be like, quit causing drama, so I have to deal with it in silence.  I hate that I always feel more than other people seem to do.

Peridot
23 minutes ago, PandaPrincess said:

I've been trying to act more positive about things so that people will like me more, but deep down, I still have some pretty negative emotions buried below the surface.  Like lately, I've been feeling left out on Discord (a site for gamers) because everyone else seems to play when I'm not playing, and vice versa.  I feel some pretty heavy jealousy and just the feeling of being left out because everyone else is having fun playing with each other, and I am not.  You would think that an online group wouldn't have me feel so left out, but it does.  It feels just like a regular, irl social group where I'm always left out and don't get invited to anything.  Obviously, I haven't expressed my feelings to any of them because they would be like, quit causing drama, so I have to deal with it in silence.  I hate that I always feel more than other people seem to do.

Hey sorry to hear that. I can relate, Panda. Especially about "feeling more than other people seem to". I sometimes wonder if a lot of people around me feel anything at all sometimes… It's frustrating and actually kinda eerie to see these flat eyes of a lot of folk... It's just scary. Like there's a void in their minds…

I have Discord but I never use it. I installed it to join a discussion group regarding a new political party in my country but after lurking a bit I never joined the discussion as the conversation was so flat, weird and aimless. So now Discord is just sitting there. It's kind of annoying how I have to close it every time as it starts automatically whenever I start my laptop up.

A lot of people here like you, Panda. Even when you're negative. lol Rock on. 😎

Edited by Peridot

RiRi
On 3/16/2019 at 6:26 PM, PandaPrincess said:

I have no idea what Discord is but that's sad that you can't voice your feelings. Are these people your friends? If they are, they would find a work around to play when you're online. I have felt similar to you for the livestreams. Although they are not my friends on there, the last one that was held (you were there), I felt totally excluded, especially because some people totally ignored me and no one said hi to me when I came online the last 3 minutes or so. I thought that was rather rude. But, if these people are your friends they should care more about you at least.