Sign in to follow this  
Frankie

Does anyone know how to set up a website?

Kuribo [old account]

Yeah, Forumotion doesn't have an arcade, and SMF, the software used by Create A Forum is pretty good, so stick with that if you're happy.

Having a subdomain won't necessarily be a hindrance, as long as people have a reason to post, the forum looks presentable, and you market it correctly.

I don't know a lot about model cars, but if you'd like any help in setting up the forum, etc. then I'm willing to help.

Frankie

Yeah, Forumotion doesn't have an arcade, and SMF, the software used by Create A Forum is pretty good, so stick with that if you're happy.

Having a subdomain won't necessarily be a hindrance, as long as people have a reason to post, the forum looks presentable, and you market it correctly.

I don't know a lot about model cars, but if you'd like any help in setting up the forum, etc. then I'm willing to help.

Thanks, I just made a facebook page last night but only added a profile & cover photo to it until I get stuff ready to start posting & see if it takes off which I think it should, I'll be sharing pic's of my model cars on it :D I'll need to link the site to the facebook!

If the forum site does work out & get busy I'll probably need an admin or two :)

aspiesw

I'm studying Web Design at Uni. You might want to try wordpress

Mike_GX101

I set up a mock website once before you could go to any of these 'create a website in 5 minutes' sites (the content was irrelevant and was only basics about holiday destinations but I had to put something in and was short on ideas).  I had to do everything in Notepad and I set up the frames and all that in html - it was surprising how much coding was involved to begin with but once you have the template set up the rest is easy - the rest is just window dressing, as they say!!

Websites are fun, or at least they used to be.  But now there's more to it than just your basic design and content, especially if you're to have a lot of traffic.  But if you just want to set up a basic website to the effect of a "hello world!" test then it is easy especially if you've already got the domain registered and all that.  Just make sure you do your homework for any other requirements you need to meet, especially if its a business venture.

Edited by Mike_GX101

MrGrey

Assuming that you just want something for free, and not for money-making purposes, then Forumotion is the best free host for beginners. :)

http://www.forumotion.com

That's what I've used for some gaming clan related stuff.  

Frankie

I set up a mock website once before you could go to any of these 'create a website in 5 minutes' sites (the content was irrelevant and was only basics about holiday destinations but I had to put something in and was short on ideas).  I had to do everything in Notepad and I set up the frames and all that in html - it was surprising how much coding was involved to begin with but once you have the template set up the rest is easy - the rest is just window dressing, as they say!!

Websites are fun, or at least they used to be.  But now there's more to it than just your basic design and content, especially if you're to have a lot of traffic.  But if you just want to set up a basic website to the effect of a "hello world!" test then it is easy especially if you've already got the domain registered and all that.  Just make sure you do your homework for any other requirements you need to meet, especially if its a business venture.

I done a little coding, I just put a drawing of a boat on it & type something like "The puffer steamed up the canal on a cold winters morning." I didn't understand how some of it works like "meta name" etc.

Anyway my sites working & I added some stuff in the Arcade, ended up playing Classic Sonic the Hedgehog for ages! :lol:

Melanie222

I know this topic is pretty old, but I have recently looked for the good way to build a website and found a great review of the most popular website builders. What I like most of all about it is that it includes pros and cons of every builder, so it is easy to compare them, all you need is to look through one page. Personally I decided to use Weebly. I shared this info in the hope it will be useful for someone!

*Links removed by moderator due to excessive advertising*