Sofi

The Undateables

Sofi

I am watching a programme on channel 4 called The Undateables and there is a boy age 25 with Autism on it looking for a girlfriend. I should have gone on this programme lol He is going to a dating agency for people with Autism to help find a girlfriend, I want to do something like that. He is lucky.

The title does not sound very nice though...

• Helpful 1

Smithy The Wizard

That sounds interesting, but I don't like the title of the show. Just paints autism in a bad light.

• Helpful 1

Nintendo2

That seems like a really interesting show Sofi.

• Helpful 1

Wren

I think the title sounds cool! It sounds like a club or a band or something.

Sofi

That seems like a really interesting show Sofi.

It is. Do you play Pokemon?

coffeebean

I think I've seen that episode. To be honest, I don't know why people go on these shows. Don't they know their failures and eccentricities are being made out to be a spectacle?

• Helpful 4

Willow

Someone from the show's team contacted me wondering if I could help find people who might be interested in taking part, but I refused based on the name of the programme, and how it would show us in a negative light, at least based on first impressions.

• Helpful 4

Sofi

Yeah it's a really bad name but you can probably go to the Autism dating agency without being on the programme. I could do that

aspiesw

I think I've seen that episode. To be honest, I don't know why people go on these shows. Don't they know their failures and eccentricities are being made out to be a spectacle?

Just the name itself makes me feel self conscious about my aspergers, although, on the other hand, I'd be intrigued enough to watch it to see what it's like

Nintendo2

Hey Sofi I will confess I have not played Pokémon in a long time. I'm more in Mario; Kirby and Donkey Kong but I might look into it. Do you like it? I bet it has changed a lot since I been into it like 10 plus years ago.

• Helpful 1

Nedarb

The title does seem a bit insulting, as aspies are known to have trouble communicating socially. And communication is kinda important when you are dating! But that may be a good reason to watch this show. Just to see what light us aspies and other people with various disorders are shown in. Hopefully they show how our own personal charm can work for us when dating and show that we are not defined by our disorders and disabilities. I don't know. Is this show any good, Sofi?

iggy

I've seen a couple of adverts for it. It looks like a modern day "freak show", let's put all the weirdos on TV, and the people watching can go "omg, they're so weird they can't possibly date" and whatever else it is people do when they watch reality TV.....

• Helpful 1

luckydip

This is the third programme in the series. It is not just for people on the autism spectrum although nearly all the series have someone who is on the spectrum. Don't know how others feel about the title.

Sofi

Hey Sofi I will confess I have not played Pokémon in a long time. I'm more in Mario; Kirby and Donkey Kong but I might look into it. Do you like it? I bet it has changed a lot since I been into it like 10 plus years ago.

Hi. Yes, I have played all Pokemon games and yes it has changed a lot in 10 years, the latest games X and Y are amazing with great quality graphics. You'd probably like it, Pokemon is the main thing I play on DS.

The title does seem a bit insulting, as aspies are known to have trouble communicating socially. And communication is kinda important when you are dating! But that may be a good reason to watch this show. Just to see what light us aspies and other people with various disorders are shown in. Hopefully they show how our own personal charm can work for us when dating and show that we are not defined by our disorders and disabilities. I don't know. Is this show any good, Sofi?

Well, I don't know I don't like how it shows people off like that but it is not doing it in a nasty way I presume. The Autistic boy did quite well on his date and was still friends with the girl and might become boyfriend.

• Helpful 1

Nesf

Personally I would have chosen a different, less negative title for the series. Is this a new series, Sofi? I have seen some of the episodes, and there's a guy called Richard with AS in the first episode who has a date and doesn't order any food, but when his date's food arrives, he starts eating the food off her plate. I remember thinking that it was the sort of thing a kid with AS might do, but it's unlikely that a 35 year old adult would do it on a first date - I would never do this! Something doesn't ring true, I wonder if these dates aren't staged in order to have more audience appeal.

• Helpful 1

Sofi

Personally I would have chosen a different, less negative title for the series. Is this a new series, Sofi? I have seen some of the episodes, and there's a guy called Richard with AS in the first episode who has a date and doesn't order any food, but when his date's food arrives, he starts eating the food off her plate. I remember thinking that it was the sort of thing a kid with AS might do, but it's unlikely that a 35 year old adult would do it on a first date - I would never do this! Something doesn't ring true, I wonder if these dates aren't staged in order to have more audience appeal.

Yes, this was a new series that started last night.

I hadn't thought of that, that's really bad to make a show out of people with ASDs and sad :( Yes that does sound really unlikely for an adult to eat food of someone's elses plate... Possible I suppose but if it was age 35, you'd think someone would have taught him by then not to do that. 

Nesf

Yes, this was a new series that started last night.

I hadn't thought of that, that's really bad to make a show out of people with ASDs and sad :( Yes that does sound really unlikely for an adult to eat food of someone's elses plate... Possible I suppose but if it was age 35, you'd think someone would have taught him by then not to do that. 

Yes, exactly - as I said above, I'm sure this bit was staged - I'll look out for the new series on Youtube.

MrGrey

I'll also try to follow this and critique the hell out the show if that fellow aspie is mistreated or ridiculed in any way.

Kuribo [old account]

I found this comment on the title from a member of staff:

Second matter to address, the name 'Undateables' does in NO way mean people with disabilities are undateable. Hence why Cupid is shown shooting the UN off the rest off the word, the title addresses stereotypical views that people with disabilities are less or unable to be dated and that is the only reason for the title.

Even if this is true, the name is still flawed. In plain text, the arrow cannot be seen, so if their motivation is to show that people with disabilities aren't undateable, why stick with a title that requires an image to the left of it to have even a chance of being understood?

coffeebean

I found this comment on the title from a member of staff:

Even if this is true, the name is still flawed. In plain text, the arrow cannot be seen, so if their motivation is to show that people with disabilities aren't undateable, why stick with a title that requires an image to the left of it to have even a chance of being understood?

Next they'll be saying interviewing people who eat cat hair for My Strange Addiction is about educating the world on how to understand and respect them. All that footage isn't for the gross-out, it's to help people connect. I might have Asperger's but even I can tell what the social subtext to a collection of weird stuff without the actual psychology behind it or real medical professional opinions is about. :rolleyes:

I'll believe it's about tolerance when shameful moments, what makes a freak show a freak show, are kept off the air and the social difficulties are discussed in a neutral light with Asperger's and dating experts. Until then.. people smudge. People lie. People do what they can to get the ratings they need, and that includes making a spectacle out of strange and awkward people for others to gawk at.

Edited by coffeebean

Nintendo2

Thank you Sofi I might check out Pokémon one of these days. :)

• Helpful 1

Ben

Oh good! More dogmatic, stereotypical, horseshit; courtesy, of the mainstream rat race idiots. Why bother watching? We all know what's going to happen. I can close my eyes now, and play out in my mind how the entire series is going to go. 

Yeah, I'm being Mr moody today... I'm feeling far too grumpy to be politically correct. "It's not fair to tar all N.T's with the same brush! Rah! Rah! Rah! Oh, shut up! Come and generalise with me, it's fun... " 

It beats watching insulting television anyway. 

Saveyourscissors

I love the programme The Undateables! I agree I dislike the title BUT it is the most positive programme I've watched towards disability and doesn't just show the extreme case and paint a picture for people who have no idea that isn't at all what we are all like. Also its not just asd its all disability's :) I think it would be awesome if they changed the name but at the end they do change it to the Dateables when they find relationships etc :) so I guess that's where they are going with it :)

• Helpful 1

Sofi

Thank you Sofi I might check out Pokémon one of these days. :)

Great, if you want to exchange DS friend codes anyway, then tell me  :)

• Helpful 1