Sofi

The Undateables

HalfFull

I finally watched a recording from Week 1 last night. Turns out that Week 2's was on Channel 4 + 1 at the same time, and isn't yet on 4od  :o

I don't think the title means to be offensive, but is merely making the point that these people are often overlooked as possible dating material due to how they are. True, a different title might be preferable but it might be almost impossible to have a kinder title with the same message. The best I can think of is "The Romantically Sidelined". Even that might offend people so then it could be "The Romantically Disadvantaged". Even that might do too. Something like "They find it hard to find love" just sounds like normal people who have been single for over 12 months. Oddly, these shows make people look really unlucky if single for longer than that and on the verge of needing to get a cat for company.

Anyway, Daniels dates (the one with Autism) seemed to go well enough. The fact that the lady had mild learning difficulties will have helped. It was interesting seeing how someone with full Autism might present, because he was more affected than people with HFA and I have met a few and they are pretty much like more severe Aspies, but he was less affected than someone with it so full blown that they can't even speak or otherwise only say a few words.

Sofi

It doesn't feel like there is, one of my friends keeps telling me there will be someone somewhere for me, or "what's for you wont go past you".

I think I have a harder job finding a Mrs because of my unique goth-like style, my profile pic was a one off, I don't look like this all the time but took a lot of time to do the make-up, & putting the contact lens in was a nightmare!

I signed up to a few dating sites but have to pay to message people & I don't like giving out card details, they say "free dating" & once signed up they then say like pay £15.99 a week or something to send a message & I keep getting emails saying someone's sent a message please pay money to view message(I believe there's no message & just trying to get the money & card details).

I hate feeling like a loner :(

These dating websites all work on the same premise.

As a 'free' member you cannot read messages.

However, your inbox will show that many people have sent you a private message.  The messages are real but they are not specifically aimed to you. 

Each fully paid member can send out group messages (ice breakers).  They can send them to everyone who falls into the age category of their choice but there are often no geographical preferences.  Therefore everyone in the country who fits the age group gets the same 'private message'.

It would be more honest to substitute "private message" with "spam" so that you know that the message is not a private message to you at all.

Yes. My mum went on a dating website where the males had to pay so it's like they were taking it seriously. I don't know the name of that one though....

I finally watched a recording from Week 1 last night. Turns out that Week 2's was on Channel 4 + 1 at the same time, and isn't yet on 4od  :o

I don't think the title means to be offensive, but is merely making the point that these people are often overlooked as possible dating material due to how they are. True, a different title might be preferable but it might be almost impossible to have a kinder title with the same message. The best I can think of is "The Romantically Sidelined". Even that might offend people so then it could be "The Romantically Disadvantaged". Even that might do too. Something like "They find it hard to find love" just sounds like normal people who have been single for over 12 months. Oddly, these shows make people look really unlucky if single for longer than that and on the verge of needing to get a cat for company.

Anyway, Daniels dates (the one with Autism) seemed to go well enough. The fact that the lady had mild learning difficulties will have helped. It was interesting seeing how someone with full Autism might present, because he was more affected than people with HFA and I have met a few and they are pretty much like more severe Aspies, but he was less affected than someone with it so full blown that they can't even speak or otherwise only say a few words.

I am maybe a bit like Daniel, maybe a bit less affected but I am more like him than someone with Aspergers I think. I am more realising recently I am actually less like Aspergers than I thought (I have HFA). I wouldn't think I am like a severe Aspie, I don't know... maybe. The boy last night on episode 2 has Aspergers.

Karrie111

I agree the name is awful. I have never had a proper boyfriend and people don't understand or get why. They're always like "but a good looking girl like you blah blah blah" I just have no idea of the whole boyfriend/girlfriend etiquette, or how to even know if someone fancies me or not.. and i'm so away with the fairies i don't even notice people that could perhaps be boyfriend material. If this program had a better name i'd maybe give it a second thought. I wonder who made up the name? Obviously not someone with special needs etc.. :/ 

Saveyourscissors

Watching the latest episode and getting annoyed at the way the women says aspergers!! Erg!

• Helpful 1

Frankie

Watching the latest episode and getting annoyed at the way the women says aspergers!! Erg!

I missed last nights episode, only seen last weeks one. 

Is the woman saying it like asperjers?

Toran

I don't think these types of programs should be made because it doesn't come from an Aspie about life and how they really feel about dating and it's issues concerned with relationships. They are using t v to put most people and disabled in a bad viewpoint for rating figures. Have you noticed the increase in t v and radio shows now about this with the general election coming up to show how the benefits cuts are justified by the government. At an estimate a very small percentage of these are genuine fraudsters the vast majority are genuine people as highlighted by facts and medical reports. Those involved and the people watching them are gullible victims to spoon feed information they want you to hear. I've been around a lot of places lately and the number of people sleeping in shop doorways has increased dramatically and yet your told how things are getting better while food banks are struggling to cope with demand.

Life is what it is look outside for yourself don't let t v convince you of how wonderful things are because it isn't.

Saveyourscissors

I missed last nights episode, only seen last weeks one. 

Is the woman saying it like asperjers?

Noo like ASS BURGERS or ASS PERG GERS

Makes me angry

aspiesw

I continue to be offended by the show, but my curiosity won't let me stop watching it

Edited by aspiesw

Willow

Noo like ASS BURGERS or ASS PERG GERS

Makes me angry

ASS PERG GERS is how it's supposed to be, with a hard G, but I dislike how it sounds, and prefer the soft G, which I have mentioned several times in my videos lol :)

• Helpful 1

Saveyourscissors

ASS PERG GERS is how it's supposed to be, with a hard G, but I dislike how it sounds, and prefer the soft G, which I have mentioned several times in my videos lol :)

Hmm I think it's an American way to be honest all my doctors said aspergers in my opinion the right way, I think it's the way you say it I'm not too sure though haha :)

Willow

Hmm I think it's an American way to be honest all my doctors said aspergers in my opinion the right way, I think it's the way you say it I'm not too sure though haha :)

It's not down to any particular country pronouncing it certain ways, it's a hard G because of the man who named it - Hans Asperger, who was Austrian.

Toran

Does it really matter what they claim it to be its a condition with similar traits in people. Let them carry on riding the roundabout going nowhere. Get off and watch them ride thinking they are getting somewhere but just going round and round saying and doing the same old thing time and again.

Boobookittyfrag

All of these shows are exploitative and staged. There used to be a member on here who was on a bbc documentary about ASD and she was sought out by the producers and made to go on a date with the man they were featuring.

Wouldn't trust these shows as far as I can spit - and I don't spit.

Frankie

I could tell that guy on the train on last weeks episode that he was asked questions but they just show his answers & edit out the questions. I think its all a load of horse!

funny-horse.jpg

Nesf

I continue to be offended by the show, but my curiosity won't let me stop watching it

Same here.

All of these shows are exploitative and staged. There used to be a member on here who was on a bbc documentary about ASD and she was sought out by the producers and made to go on a date with the man they were featuring.

Yes, you can tell a mile off that they are staged - it sounds unnatural and is extremely irritating.

Saveyourscissors

I know the girl she speaks quite highly of it, except she's a lesbian which she discovered after the 1year relationship.. I just think the exaggerate stuff

Bongo

I really love the concept of the show but not sure I would want to go on it myself.

Does anyone know how to contact the agencies they use and how much it costs? I heard it costs thousands.. 

Edited by Bongo

Sofi

i want to contact them too but i don't know how 

the strangest man

I really love the concept of the show but not sure I would want to go on it myself.

Does anyone know how to contact the agencies they use and how much it costs? I heard it costs thousands.. 

i want to contact them too but i don't know how 

Here ya'go then http://www.channel4.com/programmes/take-part/articles/all/the-undateables has details on how to participate in the next series.

Best O'luck.

Andrew004

I thought Richard was a legend on this show ha

• Helpful 1

Aeolienne
On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2014 at 9:10 AM, luckydip said:

It is not just for people on the autism spectrum although nearly all the series have someone who is on the spectrum. 

There's only been one female autistic participant so far (I mean a main participant, as opposed to one of the matches), which bugs me. I inquired about taking part last year and received a phone call from the producers, but they didn't want to take it any further. Another thing that annoys me is the southern bias of the show, southern coastal in particular. Could we please have a moratorium on all this footage of participants strolling along beaches?! And another thing - I for one would love to see an Undateables set-up in which the woman takes the lead, just for once. It's disappointing that these so-called "remarkable" singletons, for all their claims to see the world differently, are just as constrained by gender norms.

Aeolienne
On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:50 PM, Aeolienne said:

There's only been one female autistic participant so far (I mean a main participant, as opposed to one of the matches), which bugs me.

There's going to be a second autistic woman in the latest series, back tonight in its usual 21:00 slot on Channel 4: The award-winning series returns with more singletons looking for love, including film buff Charlotte, who has Asperger's, and Mitch, who was born deaf and lip reads when dating. (S9 Ep1/3)

The previous one was Heather in the second series: Series 2 episode 4: Heather, Gareth & Matthew