Sofi

The Undateables

coffeebean

I found this comment on the title from a member of staff:

Even if this is true, the name is still flawed. In plain text, the arrow cannot be seen, so if their motivation is to show that people with disabilities aren't undateable, why stick with a title that requires an image to the left of it to have even a chance of being understood?

Next they'll be saying interviewing people who eat cat hair for My Strange Addiction is about educating the world on how to understand and respect them. All that footage isn't for the gross-out, it's to help people connect. I might have Asperger's but even I can tell what the social subtext to a collection of weird stuff without the actual psychology behind it or real medical professional opinions is about. :rolleyes:

I'll believe it's about tolerance when shameful moments, what makes a freak show a freak show, are kept off the air and the social difficulties are discussed in a neutral light with Asperger's and dating experts. Until then.. people smudge. People lie. People do what they can to get the ratings they need, and that includes making a spectacle out of strange and awkward people for others to gawk at.

Edited by coffeebean

Nintendo2

Thank you Sofi I might check out Pokémon one of these days. :)

Ben

Oh good! More dogmatic, stereotypical, horseshit; courtesy, of the mainstream rat race idiots. Why bother watching? We all know what's going to happen. I can close my eyes now, and play out in my mind how the entire series is going to go. 

Yeah, I'm being Mr moody today... I'm feeling far too grumpy to be politically correct. "It's not fair to tar all N.T's with the same brush! Rah! Rah! Rah! Oh, shut up! Come and generalise with me, it's fun... " 

It beats watching insulting television anyway. 

Saveyourscissors

I love the programme The Undateables! I agree I dislike the title BUT it is the most positive programme I've watched towards disability and doesn't just show the extreme case and paint a picture for people who have no idea that isn't at all what we are all like. Also its not just asd its all disability's :) I think it would be awesome if they changed the name but at the end they do change it to the Dateables when they find relationships etc :) so I guess that's where they are going with it :)

Sofi

Thank you Sofi I might check out Pokémon one of these days. :)

Great, if you want to exchange DS friend codes anyway, then tell me  :)

Nesf

They could change the name to "Undateables?" and the question mark would show that the aim was to challenge the view that people with disabilities can't or won't date.

Sofi

They could change the name to "Undateables?" and the question mark would show that the aim was to challenge the view that people with disabilities can't or won't date.

Good idea. 

I want to speak to that Autism dating agency sometime for me

Someone I know (not really know), who has AS and goes to the Autism social group Kuribo & I are going to, made a YouTube video about the programme too and I just watched it. 

Kuribo [old account]

Good idea. 

I want to speak to that Autism dating agency sometime for me

Someone I know (not really know), who has AS and goes to the Autism social group Kuribo & I are going to, made a YouTube video about the programme too and I just watched it.

When was your intro meeting scheduled?

Sofi

When was your intro meeting scheduled?

They've not got back to us with another date after the other one I missed but now I don't know as my mum was going to go with me, my mum's boyfriend could go with me now or possibly the support worker but I'll have to see more how I feel now etc. I still have every intention of going at some point though. 

KevinElektro

The title kind of insults me and I'm sure others.. but besides that, it sounds like a nice idea.

I wish I had something like that. Finding a girlfriend is terribly difficult. :/