coffeebean

Your early years

coffeebean

What were they like?

I struggled with anxiety and isolation throughout middle school and high school, but I was a very outgoing child before the 4th grade or so. I knew I was strange and far too wild, but I hadn't yet learned to be self-conscious about it. I even had a few friends who were tolerant of me, though their parents were a little put off.

MrGrey

I was quite angry because all other kids kept saying I was weird and I had no idea why.  I learned to be a loner, it was easier that way.

Nedarb

From between when I was born to about 5, I mostly hung out with my sister and her friends. During those years I was (sorry if I sound insulting or insensitive) very much a girly man. I related much more to females than males at this time as I was very sensitive, really enjoyed the euro dance era, liked bright and colourful things etc. During the summer after I turned 6, we got our dog (Lewis). He was the best present I have ever gotten! Initially I didn't enjoy being chased around the yard by him and avoided going outside for a long while. But after I had matured, we became great friends! From about age 6 to age 12, I had become much more shy and didn't really hang around with anybody until the later years of this time period. Everybody seemed to have a gameboy and I wanted to fit in, but my parents wouldn't buy me one. Around this time, I guess you could say that I had a knack for making friends with students who had turrets or some sort of disorder. I can't help but wonder if some of their disorders rubbed off on me and I had acquired them too. 

Middle school was hell, pure and simple. Not only was I struggling academically (I just could not concentrate on anything!), but socially as well. A few of the friends that I had made (who had various disorders) now had become bullies and treated me like garbage. I was constantly being tripped on the school bus, I was made fun of for my short height, and my severe lack of athleticism. I had started to get physically violent too and often got detentions for giving people nose bleeds. I don't know how I was never suspended!

High school started out as a completely fresh start. I had joined various clubs, I auditioned for the school's jazz band and made it! For the first time, I had girls actually talking to me (excluding my sister and her friends). Looking back I think they mostly liked my bass guitar playing rather than my personality, because I never became friends with them. I still had problems with bullies, but now being completely ignored was becoming an issue. I don't want to talk about it further. Academically, I had initially began in the remedial classes because my parents didn't like my work ethic in middle school. But after age 15, I started becoming more serious in my school work and was able to transfer to some of the enriched programs! Math and science were a mistake though. Unfortunately in January 2008, Lewis had to be put down. He had gotten very sick the last few years and diabetic. Lewis was not the same dog that he was before! Losing Lewis is probably my least favourite memory

Edited by Nedarb

aspiesw

I was quiet, nervous and confused most of my childhood, I didn't really have any direction, I just went to school, I got help from the LSU (learning support unit) at school, saw loads of therapists for loads of different reasons, I didn't even know why I was seeing them, I was just doing what I was told. I also got bullied a lot in school, people didn't understand me, they still don't

Heather

I was a very quiet, shy girl growing up.  Though when I was at home with my sisters and parents, I could get a bit crazy.. it was my familiar safe place.  Though once I got to school/church/other public places, I would be very quiet again.  I do remember having a few girls that I considered friends through elementary school at one point or another.  I guess I didn't understand the rules and have always been super anxious about standing out, and super scared about doing something against the rules, so I would stay quiet and only do as I was told pretty much.

Sofi

I was a really hyperactive and wild child too and could get really angry too and destroyed a lot of stuff in my house. I just remember playing on my own in my house most of the time, doing weird stuff. I played in the garden on my own a lot and in my little wooden wendy house thing, reading Greece textbooks in there. I just went to school every day in a taxi and was wild there too. Then I got older and just watched TV a lot and went on the computer all the time. When I was 10 or 11, I got my first friends but it ended when I was about 13.

DominikaCupcake

I was a quiet, shy girl when i was little, but sometimes i was very hyperactive and had problems With controling my anger too. I had only one friend back then, but she was a good friend. She was the only one who wanted to play Board games With my own rules. I loved to sit in my room and read books about the universe and planets and i liked to Draw labyrinths. When i was in the fourth grade, i was sent to the psychologist because my teacher realized that i was different than other kids. Secondary School was a hell to me and because of bullying i became more closed in myself. I became more open during the last two years however. Now i feel that i can trust some People again.

Nesf

I was always a bit of tomboy and never interested in the things that other girls were into. I had one or two 'best friends' but also played on my own a lot. I never belonged to a group or clique. I used to like conducting makeshift experiments with things around the house or inventing things which made sense only to me, then taking the inventions into school with me. I even wrote up my experiments on a piece of paper. I had a wooden shack round the back of my house where I played on my own, or I went off to the neigbouring farm or fields to play in the stream, where I made dams,  or hay bales. I could be very serious and adult-like around older people, but if I was with a friend I could be a bit crazy, too, and did stuff like skip assemblies, play practical jokes, make comics of teachers, etc. I also did some strange things sometimes, like take a library book called "Little Women" and black out the word "little" from the whole book, suddenly announce to the world that I hated teenagers and sardines, decide I hate my name and I want to be called Charlie (that earned me press-ups from the PE teacher), and smear all the kids on the bus with snot (that earned me the nickname "Snotty Mabel"). My grades weren't very good, and after 2 years of extremely bad grades, the teachers decided that I would have to join the slow learners' group.

I was very strong-willed and had a fierce temper, which the other kids soon picked up on, and they began to tease me and wind me up to provoke a reaction out of me for their own amusement. I couldn't understand why they were picking on me and shouted "why?" which became my first nickname. When I entered puberty, I began to notice more and more that I couldn't relate to the other teenagers, and that they were leaving me out. I entered a phase of depression where I hardly spoke for 6 months to anybody, including family. I hated being fussed over and being told what to do, so I always made sure I was up and had had breakfast before everyone else. I was very shy and withdrawn a a teenager, and didn't participate in class activities or discussions, didn't have much of a social life, and felt very isolated, anxious and depressed. I often went and sat with the other kids, but found it extremely hard to join in their discussions and would just sit there and not say anything. It felt like I was watching TV. I was very much aware that they were able to do things I couldn't, but assumed it was because I was shy and had no confidence. Eventually I gave up trying to join in the groups, but did have one or two friends I talked to, went to the cinema with, etc. I concentrated hard on improving my grades, became much better academically, and was able to get a place at uni.

Rich07

In my earlier years bullying only became a problem for me in my teenage years, I tried to make friends at Secondary school but I would always just get bullied, so I isolated myself, which for a few years completely ruined my self- confidence.

L Lawliet

Right, long story short because I will be here all day.

Early years were quite hard. My dad left my mum when I was 7. So me and my mum had to move house a lot as we struggled with money and my dad didn't really do anything about that. But all in all, it was nice to be with my mum :) I moved schools a lot too so I was always the new girl. I hated it. I used to get really nervous and just spend most of my time locked in a toilet cubical just to get away from everyone else. People weren't horrible to start with, it was only when they realised I was weird and didn't fit in! But I just didn't understand people and preferred my own company.

Teenage years were hell. I realised I was bisexual at 14. I had always been bullied at school, but you can imagine what it was like after I came out. I had quite a good group of friends by then though and we were the "weird" group so we all looked after each other really :P I nearly had a breakdown with my GCSE's. How I passed most of them I don't know. Although I feel I could have done so much better if I had known about AS back then so I could get the right support. I feel a little let down by teachers not spotting it as it could have made my life sooooo much easier :rolleyes: