coffeebean

Your early years

Soul_Doubt

I was always a bit strange I guess.. quiet etc but I was happy for the most part until I moved schools away from everyone I grew up around.  Then I was isolated for years and suffered from terrible worries and anxiety and did not know how to express this to anyone.

When I got into my late teens I feel like I hit a point where I was like.. screw this and was quite angry at the world.  I got myself some friends, grew up and got a bit happier and never looked back.

Not to say that I haven't had problems but I have always had an attitude of I can do what I want if I put my mind to it which has helped me overcome a lot of them.

L Lawliet

Not to say that I haven't had problems but I have always had an attitude of I can do what I want if I put my mind to it which has helped me overcome a lot of them.

I try to incorporate that attitude where I can :)

King_oni

My early years...

I had a lot of anger issues, primary school was a mess due to excessive bullying and physical confrontations on a daily basis. Said physical confrontations ended up in hospitalizations of bullies at times. And that's clearly where I got in trouble... because school didn't really think there was such a thing as a group bullying one individual. Eventually I changed school and got into some after school daycare thing that was run by pediatricians. That helped me a bit with anger issues, though I suppose, change of environment had a part in that as well. 

High school was somewhat of the same. I was a loner, had some people bully me and for some reason I attracted others that got bullied a lot so those were the people I eventually became high school friends with. I didn't really bond with them except for the fact that we had the bullying thing in common. And as with primary, once people got hurt it ended being funny for bullies and "shit got real". 

And performance wise I really underperformed in high school. I wasn't interested in anything school had to offer and got with the program with no effort from my part.

That was just school... my life besides school I pretty much stayed in, played videogames, still played with toys till halfway in my teens, when others my age were clearly busy doing other things. I just didn't care (well, nor do I care now, lol).

Early on I already ended up getting into certain kinds of music, which obviously didn't make me more popular among peers, especially not since I was obviously not into the type of music everyone was in at the time. So I suppose that "I don't care what people think" attitude was early on already.

I remember ending up at therapists at a young age for anger issues, depression, antisocial behaviour and hints of bipolar but nothing was really conclusive. And considering the changes in life back then it seemed to hold back a fair few issues at times (changing schools for example). I've read the reports last year with obviously some more knowledge about psychology than I did back then. Even the reports showed signs of what later could be specified as Aspergers, but since we're talking late 80's, Aspergers wasn't even in the DSM. It was written off as a phase... which seemed to be the easy way out IMO.

Karrie111

As a younger child i was less aware of others around me and just did my own thing. I was quite wild and people just thought i was a wee bit strange. As i got older i felt less and less connection with people so isolated myself from them. Shame how as you get older you see you are different.. sometimes ignorance is bliss :/

vcq14

As a child, I was the classic "little professor" who spoke with a college vocabulary and couldn't understand why the other kids weren't interested in classic lit, etc. I found it easier to socialize with adults and went out of my way to do so. Got placed in Talented and Gifted for several years, Math Olympiad, etc., teased mercilessly (verbally). I would lose myself in elaborate stories that I'd create (still do). Academics were never a problem, I was always near the top of the class (think I had a 3.9 in high school, 3.89 for my BA and 3.9 for my MA).

When I was younger, I used to see a shrink ( don't think this lasted long, I was never honest about issues, mostly anger-related and I would act out at home from frustration). As another poster pointed out, "but since we're talking late 80's, Aspergers wasn't even in the DSM. It was written off as a phase.." No one ever mentioned AS. I'm also really hyperactive, which made it hard for me to sit still in class.

Nesf nailed it: "I was very strong-willed and had a fierce temper, which the other kids soon picked up on, and they began to tease me and wind me up to provoke a reaction out of me for their own amusement." Took me a long time to figure out that people enjoyed punching my buttons, and people still do it to me as an adult because I'm an easy target.

I used to literally BEG every morning not to go to (high) school. However, once I got to college and grad school and away from the crowdthink and cliques, I found that a whole new world opened up to me.

Ala

I was quiet. My parents have told me I didn't talk much, I just observed and did things. As a toddler I always insisted I do everything by myself. Like learning to go to the toilet and having baths. Like I would close the door and not want anyone to help me. One of my earliest memories involves me when I was about to have a bath and then not being able to undo my overalls and then "deciding" to just have the bath with them on.. :|

I was popular in primary school. I think people remember me as being strange as they are not surprised when I say I study art.

However in high school I was REALLY different and distinct from my Peers. I think it kind if distressed me being so strange, I think it still does.

awesomeliza

I was quite weird and crazy from primary school to Year 7 and I don't think I was self-conscious at all, I was just crazy, yet a loner who enjoyed playing by myself, carving and doing things with sticks and flint in the school playground. I didn't hang out with pupils because they didn't understand me and I found that teachers understood me much better and I would always strike up an intellectual conversation with one at lunch time. Whenever I tried to start talking about my interest with a pupil, they would just shun me and once I got told I should have "weird geek" imprinted on my forehead.

I had to learn friendships the hard way in Year 7 and I was lucky to find friends who partially understood me. From there, I did become self aware and due to anxiety kicking in, I am currently in one of the lowest and most withdrawn parts of my life. Which sucks. But I hope I will find out if it's AS or not and just see how life goes.

brookeloveslotr

I was really hyper, loud, and naive.

Edited by brookeloveslotr

Ben

I was a little bastard... 

Not much different from today really! Ha! Ha!