Saveyourscissors

Sensory room/get away.

Saveyourscissors

I really want to turn my spare bedroom into a sensory room/quite comfy space or get away room, I think if really benefit from it when anxious or having sensory overloads which I guess can be most days some days all day.. Also I want a bubble tube in there 100%

Any way does anyone have one?

Is it worth it?

Do you benefit from it? How much?

Did it cost a lot?

Do you recommend anywhere to buy stuff for it from?

Any good websites/shops?

Any advice or recommendations for it?

Pinky and his brain

I would totally like to have a room like that. For me, it would have to be a relatively dark room. The room should have floor heating, because it's a lot more comfortable. It should be painted in dark colours, and there should be as few items in there as possible. Most likely just a bed or sofa that I could lie on. The room should be sound proof, so that no noise would intrude. Lighting should be some kind of computer controlled RGB LED lighting. I am very sensitive to light and colours. And sometimes I can use coloured light as therapy. It almost feels like hypnosis. But I don't know why light and colour has that impact on me, it just does.

But in reality, I cannot afford to build something like that. I would first need a bigger place to live, and changing a room that much would be seriously expensive. Sound dampening alone is very expensive, and the floor heating is also not cheap. So this is another dream, that can only happen after I win the lottery.

Nesf

I don't have a room like this, but if I had one it would be a bit like my Grandfather's snug, or my mum's garden room. Unlike most Aspies, I like lots of natural light (but not direct sunlight) and like to look out of the window. I would like to have a window that looks out onto a pond with fish in it, a comfy sofa to lie on and lots of plants. I would also like a bubble tube, but also like the pattern of the sun reflecting off the pond and into the room dancing around. It would be warm, even in winter. But the most important thing is that it would be quiet and I'd not be disturbed.

Shōnen Bat

I would love a sensory room. There was one in the school I worked in a few years back that I loved (to the extent I would spend my lunch times in there if no classes had booked it). It had 2 bubble tubes, soft cushions, a small soft play corner and various complex lighting rigs that only 2 or 3 people could work properly.......... It also had some fibre optics, a projector-type thing and a mirror/light infinity tunnel thing. Everything was controlled by a giant black box to program them all. It was a magical place and I kind of resented having anyone other than the children in there, it felt like a place for relaxation and de-stressing, not sensory stories!

The music was always the same:

which I have become very fond of.

There was also a place called Scotland Yard in edinburgh which had a nice sensory room but no bubble tubes (One of our boys managed to get the top off the tube and peed in it :P ). My personal preference would be for a mix of these 2.

I don't have a rooms spare but I try to recreate those places with what I have when I feel the need for it. Darkness, calming music or nature sounds and slow, hypnotic light shows (either star projections or moving fractals) are what it mostly consists of. It would be great to simply have it ready to walk into rather than having to set it up everytime. I can't quantify how much use it is to me but I always feel better for setting it up if I am feeling particularly anxious.

I don't know the exact pricings as most of the equipment used to come from educational catalogues but I believe the room had several thousand pounds worth of equipment in it. When we had a little money left over at the end of the year we would unofficially buy from this site (I think, it looks familiar) but it was still expensive. Purpose built stuff tends to be very expensive in this area so I would recommend using things not specifically designed to sensory toys unless money is no object. (One of these on a slowly rotating disk is very nice).

L Lawliet

To be honest, I would just be happy with a big cardboard box! Dark, quiet, tucked away in a corner, but with eye holes in the side so I can see out if I want to (Wallace and Gromit style!). Plus it would be cheap to get one and if you wanted to add stuff, like little coloured lights you could just add them.

Maybe you could add some objects too. For example I have a thing about concave glass. Calms me down. When I was little, I used to run my thumbs over my teddy bears glass eyes because the feeling used to soothe me and send me to sleep. His eyes are all scratched now, bless him! I did discover the other day that you could buy gemstones with a little concave bit to rest your thumb in! Perfect! I was so happy! Haha! So for me I would put some of those gemstones in there. I would also put pillows and a duvet in there for comfort and maybe my Ipod for music.

Cardboard boxes always worked for me growing up. I wish I had one now... :)

When I'm in it, no one would know I'm in there and wouldn't even think to look, because it would be my space.

aspiesw

That would be brilliant, sometimes I need a quiet room where I can calm myself down and be alone, my bedroom doesn't suffice

Nedarb

I spend most of my time in my bedroom. If I need further privacy, I put my bass amp next to my door so my parents can't come in. Of course when I play my bass with my amp next to the door, the whole floor vibrates lol! But I guess my car would be my get away place. I just drive somewhere up north and stay in my car while watching nature. I only regret not always bringing my camera because some of what I see is really amazing!

Chlillis

I know a lot of people with AS would like to have time when it's just them in their own bubble, I have a friend with aspergers who spends 1 hour everyday like that, but I never actually feel the need for this. I do spend a lot of time in my room everyday on my own, but mainly on the computer or playing my xbox, maybe taking a few minutes thinking about my current situation/plans and often I escape to my own world when lets say taking transportation, and I enjoy my me time like most people I presume, but lets say if I was to spend a day without a moment where I would be completely to myself for an hour, it wouldn't 100% bother me too much.

If I had a spare room I would probaly turn it into something, maybe a study, or a TV/Gaming room, or just a room that feels perfect to me, but if it was just empty I would never use it, but I'm sure most people with AS would benefit from having a space where they can just relax for a while to themselves, in their own bubble.

Saveyourscissors

nzory0.jpg

This is a bubble tube :)

Edited by Saveyourscissors