Myrtonos

Face recognition

Myrtonos

It has been observed that many aspies have prosapagnosia. Speaking from personal experience, I often don't recognise someone if they are in different clothes from what I am used to seeing on them, or if they dye their hair (differently).

vcq14

Yes, but is it consistent with you, or only sometimes? I would say face blindness is an issue for me about 5-10% of the time tops. Discounting seeing someone outside a familiar setting or with a hat on (which is a real issue for me with everyone in uniforms; I'm fine indoors, but when they're wearing their covers outoors, I can only recognize them by their voice), I can't see any real pattern. Usually if I've met someone two or three times, I'll be fine (I may forget a name, but I'll at least remember that I've met the person before and they look familiar). Like I mentioned in an earlier post, though, there's someone detailed to my unit that I've seen almost every day for months, and every time I see her, it's like the first time.

Edited by vcq14

Frankie

It has been observed that many aspies have prosapagnosia. Speaking from personal experience, I often don't recognise someone if they are in different clothes from what I am used to seeing on them, or if they dye their hair (differently).

I find it hard if I meet someone new then they change their hair style & its difficult to recognise them, I remember someone's clothes & build more than I remember faces.

I mind seeing on the news a guy with my same last name(no relation) a few years ago from Edinburgh & he designed glasses to help aspie's, think they were mildly mirrored so it gives us more confidence to look at peoples faces.

Frankie

I sometimes find it difficult to tell these two actors apart!

Scottrv.jpg

benedict_cumberbatch_01.jpg

They could probably pass as brothers! lol!

Nesf

Yes, I have a problem with this. I followed the link to the site and did the famous person test, and recognised only 3 faces, and got 14% where the average person gets about 80%. I rely on other features of a person such as hair, stature ad voice to recognise a person, without those I'm hopeless! If I see a person everyday in the same place I know who they are, but as soon as they are in a different place, dye their hair or have a haircut i won't recognise them any more.

Frankie

Yes, I have a problem with this. I followed the link to the site and did the famous person test, and recognised only 3 faces, and got 14% where the average person gets about 80%. I rely on other features of a person such as hair, stature ad voice to recognise a person, without those I'm hopeless! If I see a person everyday in the same place I know who they are, but as soon as they are in a different place, dye their hair or have a haircut i won't recognise them any more.

Iv mistaken people in the past thinking they were someone else because they had same clothes on and same size, hair etc, just different face which I never noticed until I made my mistake! Ooops! lol!

Nesf

Iv mistaken people in the past thinking they were someone else because they had same clothes on and same size, hair etc, just different face which I never noticed until I made my mistake! Ooops! lol!

Oh yes, I've done that plenty of times. It's so embarrassing! i also get anxious at the airport when I'm waiting for my sister to pick me up in case she changed her hair and I don't recognise her, lol!

vcq14

What a cruel trick...excuse me, I'm still recovering from my Cumberbatch swoon ;-)

Frankie

This one aint Mr Cumberbatch, Google thinks he's George Orwall. He's actually Scott Ryan Vickers, one of the stars from Scottish soap River City.

Scottrv.jpg

I think they look alike!

L Lawliet

I always thought I had trouble recognising people because I don't make eye contact, so I don't pay much attention to peoples faces in general. However, my obsession with actors and movies means that I am excellent at recognising famous people, even if I see their face for a split second. So I probably don't have face blindness, I just don't pay enough attention to faces in general :P