Sign in to follow this  
Caroline

What should I do?

Caroline

No, I haven't told him about my Aspergers... I don't see him very often, he doesn't go out of his appartment now. I'll tell about my AS to my aunt (his sister) and I suppose she won't keep it to herself. Or I can give her something about AS and she'll recognise her brother. I would prefer her to tell him than me

Nesf

No, I haven't told him about my Aspergers... I don't see him very often, he doesn't go out of his appartment now. I'll tell about my AS to my aunt (his sister) and I suppose she won't keep it to herself. Or I can give her something about AS and she'll recognise her brother. I would prefer her to tell him than me

Yes, that would be the best way to do it if you feel you can't speak to him directly. You could tell his sister about your being diagnosed with AS, and then point out that your uncle has a few of these traits, or tell her that you've seen this really interesting documentary or read an interesting article and it reminds you of her brother and then discuss the traits.

Auletes

Does he need to know he might have AS-> would it be a benefit for him? If he's got no problem, like let's say he's in a happy relationship, he has got a job, is happy, why should he know that his way of being can "official be labeled as different".

In my opinion telling about AS could put a well balanced system out of balance.

That were my thoughts not to tell him about AS for quite a long time. And that's what I do with two others I know and show quite a few traits in my opinion.

Caroline

Does he need to know he might have AS-> would it be a benefit for him? If he's got no problem, like let's say he's in a happy relationship, he has got a job, is happy, why should he know that his way of being can "official be labeled as different".

In my opinion telling about AS could put a well balanced system out of balance.

That were my thoughts not to tell him about AS for quite a long time. And that's what I do with two others I know and show quite a few traits in my opinion.

He lives alone, practically doesn't go out of his appartment, has no job... Maybe it could help him to know

Whoknows

Why don't you ask him if he has Asperger's?

Auletes

He lives alone, practically doesn't go out of his appartment, has no job... Maybe it could help him to know

this doesn't sound all happy, so it really might help to tell him in any way.

Otherwise I think nesf made good suggestions, so good luck whatever you decide to do.

Heather

Yeah I think maybe if you think it would help him then talk with your aunt who sees him more.. and maybe can say something.. but it is harder when the people are older because they have lived without hearing the diagnosis that it might not do much difference with how they live.  If anything you can bring up how you feel about how AS affects you and maybe emphasize the traits that you have which you think he has.. and maybe he will ask questions or maybe not.. and maybe you will be able to tell how accepting he is of it.