Anon

Does anyone feel really normal and embarrassed?

Alex
I am 17 and have aspergers, and was diagnosed when I was 14.

I have never told any of my friends, and find the whole thing really embarrassing, e.g.even if a teacher asks to speak to me after class, im paranoid that my friends will ask why, and find out. Even though I know I have it, I feel so normal, that I almost feel like im so mild that I shouldnt have even been diagnosed. Does anyone else feel like this?

I felt the same way at one point... It was hard for me to tell my friends because I was afraid that they wouldn't believe that I was different, but actually I don't think it was very surprising to them. I felt pretty normal aswell to begin with, but as I read more and learned more about Aspergers, I realized that the diagnosis fit me really well...I think it's a part of the diagnosis to feel "pretty normal" because you dont realize that your problems aren't common amongst other people :)

Arthur

I feel like i'm normal and bit more intelligent then a NT, but to the world i'm not and don't really give a S@#% i am the way i am.

Willow
I feel like i'm normal and bit more intelligent then a NT, but to the world i'm not and don't really give a S@#% i am the way i am.

Yeah the intelligence thing is true, I feel. Without sounding 'big headed' of course. But me and my fiancé have agreed that to an extent we feel normal aside from being smarter. Although, as you say, I don't think the rest of the world views us as normal. XD

Anon
Yeah the intelligence thing is true, I feel. Without sounding 'big headed' of course. But me and my fiancé have agreed that to an extent we feel normal aside from being smarter. Although, as you say, I don't think the rest of the world views us as normal. XD

Couldn't agree more! I try not to appear conceited but I always feel like I am much more intelligent than most of the 'normals'!

StormCrow

I have a paper in college I can fill out, that states that I have AS and I can have more time on tests, but I never filled it out and gave it to the college.

so far very few people know about it, I have herd that some people in highschool thought I was a little weird, but all of the positive compliments of how smart I am and all the stuff I can make have overtook any negitive things. 

I think all humans feel embarresed if they are different, even if no one actualy notices their diferrence.

Anxious

17 is a difficult age...neither adult or child and fitting in is one of the major concerns ( speaking from my own experience ) I understand fully the problems of revealing your condition to your peer group...it would be a lamb to the slaughter...i would have kept the whole thing under wraps too when i was in that age group but i have to be careful because society may be a little more tollerant and understanding now ( i am a bit dubious though )

I have a similar problem 30 years down the line from you.

I started a job a year and a half ago working 16 hours a week in a local Co-op store...at the time i wasn't diagnosed AS. I got promoted to team leader 2 months ago knowing i was AS and i keep thinking that i will tell them about the AS because although i come across as all proffessional and able i just  do  not  know  what  to  do  with  small  talk...be it customer or staff member..and it has caused me quite a lot of problems and i keep thinking that if i told them then it would no longer be a problem because they then would understand that i wasn't being rude or stuckup or anything.

A customer will walk in the shop and say ,"eggs"....i know that means ,"where are the eggs please" but what am i supposed to with statements?

" cold today"  someone will say and whoever is around to catch that will have a full scale conversation with laughter and all sorts going on .

Stressmonster
" cold today"  someone will say and whoever is around to catch that will have a full scale conversation with laughter and all sorts going on .

Yes. Love that "what the hell is going on here and how the hell can i get out of this mess" feeling. :P

Willow
17 is a difficult age...neither adult or child and fitting in is one of the major concerns ( speaking from my own experience ) I understand fully the problems of revealing your condition to your peer group...it would be a lamb to the slaughter...i would have kept the whole thing under wraps too when i was in that age group but i have to be careful because society may be a little more tollerant and understanding now ( i am a bit dubious though )

I started a new school when I was 16 and because I'd been out of school for two years and missed everything, they put me 2 years behind, with the 14 year olds. I told everyone from the start that I had AS and what it was and what it could mean and how it might affect me and how to help etc and everyone was so understanding. They were all really nice to me and helped me out etc. I didn't know what would be best, but I'm glad I explained from the start. It's surprising how accepting people can be.

Sofi

I feel normal within myself but I feel extremely different whenever I am around other people, such as when I was at school I realised how different I was. I think this might be a difference between Aspergers and Autism....

imir8atu

for me most time I at odds with the stuff going on around me, if i think to long id never go out...