Echo

"Asperclickers" - Our Story - Living with Aspergers

Whoknows

I can't see what she feels, nor I know her, but I'd like to know her better.

I scare with my feelings, despite of being sincere.

My psychologist claims that I must be "clever", but not act like James Bond, so I'm lost.

brookeloveslotr

NT's: Please be patient with us. Our brains are wired different from yours. Understand that:

We may have trouble reading body language and social cues. No, we're not being rude when we don't understand you, it just takes some time for us to process what you mean, so we might have to ask you what you meant.

We love to talk about our interests, even to the point where they might get on your nerves. We don't do this to purposefully annoy anyone, we just love being nerds and talk of our interests fascinates us.

Understand that we can be sensitive to loud noise and may need to leave the room when things get overbearing.

Understand that we love to look up facts and say facts. Because of this, Some label as "walking dictionaries", but it has more to do with our fascination of interests.

HalfFull

This is a great idea though I know from past experience of trying to get Aspies involved in something that you think is exciting that you may need to have patience getting as much interest in it as you would like. You should not give up if it takes too long to get sufficient feedback, as these things can take time. I'll see what I can rustle up.

I was particularly interested in what Arthur refered to about France, as I studied there for a year as part of a degree I did in Britain, so being Aspie and foreign made life in France especially challenging for me, and yet very rewarding, so I'll incorporate that into my contribution :)

Echo

Thanks for the feedback peeps :) Keep 'em coming. I'm trying to think of other ways that people can contribute. I'll keep you posted. Cheers x  

Nesf

As the vast majority of my posts on this forum are reflections of some kind on my life with AS, you could take any one of those posts as being representative of an aspect of living with AS. For me my life with AS is a vast inexhaustible topic and it would be difficult for me to choose one specific aspect to focus on. I feel it needs structure, a framework in which to organise ideas. I think it would be a lot easier if it were divided into topic areas such as "life with siblings", "your early years" or "seeking employment" because these are all key life experiences which are often greatly affected by AS. Or alternatively, you could make up a questionaire with questions concerning key areas and let each person provide his or her answer, leaving them the option to post something more poetical or abstract, should they so desire. I've seen this approach taken in books about AS with many contributors, and it strikes me as being a good idea.

Echo

As the vast majority of my posts on this forum are reflections of some kind on my life with AS, you could take any one of those posts as being representative of an aspect of living with AS. For me my life with AS is a vast inexhaustible topic and it would be difficult for me to choose one specific aspect to focus on. I feel it needs structure, a framework in which to organise ideas. I think it would be a lot easier if it were divided into topic areas such as "life with siblings", "your early years" or "seeking employment" because these are all key life experiences which are often greatly affected by AS. Or alternatively, you could make up a questionaire with questions concerning key areas and let each person provide his or her answer, leaving them the option to post something more poetical or abstract, should they so desire. I've seen this approach taken in books about AS with many contributors, and it strikes me as being a good idea.

Brilliant Nesf! This post is extremely helpful. Structuring my ideas in a logical order has never been one of my virtues. I'll take your advice on board and see how I can implement these suggestions in this thread. It is also very nice of you to provide me with your permission to trawl through all your other Asperclick posts to gain a better understanding of living life with an ASD from your P.O.V.  

If anyone else has any suggestions or would like to grant their permission to use any of their posts in the possible composition of a book, please do not hesitate to do so. All information will be treated with the greatest respect. :)

Alternatively, if you do not wish to take part in any way (including possible publication of any previous posts you may have made) please let me know. Thanks.

Bruce

What could I say about NT's being such superficial &/or judgmental (since such judgements claim to be about 'deeper' stuff)....?

Edited by BruceCM

Echo

Anything you want to Bruce :) Your opinion, whatever it may be is valid. If it means something to you, then it will mean something to others (not all people though). That's why we need to have two sides to each story (For example: from an NT perspective - whatever that may be or from the perspective of an Autie who has only been met by understanding, patience, support...) .

If you could include an example of how this has affected your life, that would be good. You could narrate it if you like (as if you're seeing this happening to someone you care about), tell me how it makes you feel (if you are able to) when you are faced with such behaviour... this can be done in any number of ways (it doesn't have to be written - video, picture, song, podcast...), whichever method that is more suited to you. 

For example, this is what I wrote above (about the same subject you brought up - abstract method, using humor to "turn the tables" on the notion that we are the aliens as depicted in most books etc...):

Humans are a strange species. Every time I think I have an understanding of this alien breed, it becomes instantly apparent that my attempts to infiltrate their ranks: have been futile. Searing like laser beams straight into my soul, I’m melted down to my purest form. Running away from this imminent disaster has never been an option. Their language incomprehensible, cryptic and mystifying: impairs my telepathic abilities. Left unable to read the signs, isolated in my own dimension, their laughing, judging eyes incarcerates all individuality.

Thanks for posting. 

Edited by Echo

Bruce

Except that those issues aren't, particularly, caused by Asperger's/ Autism. Was it you that said about not meaning to be rude when having to clarify what somebody said? Maybe that's an AS issue, since I totally don't get how that could be seen as 'rude'! I'd have thought it must be the way the question came across that caused the problem, not just that you asked, as such. Certainly, none of my teachers ever complained about me being arrogant/ rude/ disrespectful or anything & they never told me simply not to ask questions. Although most of the ones I was asking were 'philosophical' ones, that never got answered....

Although it was the case for years, I can not imagine any perspective from which the name-calling isn't considered simply wrong. It certainly would be if I were doing that, so.... Most of the time, I'm supposed to think most of my difficulties are due to AS, though! Sorry, any time I try to write about that stuff, it doesn't even seem real to me, it's so ridiculous & I delete it.

Nesf

Brilliant Nesf! This post is extremely helpful. Structuring my ideas in a logical order has never been one of my virtues. I'll take your advice on board and see how I can implement these suggestions in this thread. It is also very nice of you to provide me with your permission to trawl through all your other Asperclick posts to gain a better understanding of living life with an ASD from your P.O.V.  

If anyone else has any suggestions or would like to grant their permission to use any of their posts in the possible composition of a book, please do not hesitate to do so. All information will be treated with the greatest respect. :)

Alternatively, if you do not wish to take part in any way (including possible publication of any previous posts you may have made) please let me know. Thanks.

You're free to use any of my posts, I would only request that you let me know which ones you would like to use, and that they don't contain personal information about third parties - friends or family members, for obvious reasons :)

Edited by Nesf