Sign in to follow this  
Gogorian

Topic's to talk about?

Gogorian

How do you keep conversations going with "ordinary" people who are in constantly need of saying something?

Regards

Fredrik Jørgensen

Willow

To be honest, I'm not in a situation very often where I have to talk to ordinary people. Usually I struggle quite a lot, but generally just try and agree with what they are saying, and ask questions about them. People love to talk about themselves. :D

Gogorian

Yeah well, it's not that hard when you are talking to someone who is blabbering on, but i am thinking about when there is expected of you to actually reply more then mhm, aha, ok. :) 

Akirasugoineko

Asking on a aspie forum about how to keep a conversation going with "ordinary" people?  You need to be talking with "Ordinary" people about that?

StormCrow

I've been have more trouble with that lately.

I'm mostly the one listening, then I start to say something relevent, but they cut me off before I get to the point (I tend to add a lot of background info before saying what I wanted to say)

So I just shut up and go back to listening

Willow

I really don't know what do to when it gets to the stage when you're meant to talk back and properly engage. Just keep switching it back to them. If they genuinely want to know something about you then great, you can go nuts, but I'm not sure what you mean when you say you need to say something back - it's going to be different depending on who you're talking to and why - like, wildly different. So, give us an example of who you were talking to and why, when you needed to say something, and I'll try and help a bit more :P

Gogorian
I've been have more trouble with that lately.

I'm mostly the one listening, then I start to say something relevent, but they cut me off before I get to the point (I tend to add a lot of background info before saying what I wanted to say)

So I just shut up and go back to listening

Feel quite familiar with your description here :)

2-4 people is OK, but when theres more i just tend to zone out and listen.

specialstar

Do you mean communicating verbally to neurotypicals? If so i struggle to do so verbally not just to neurotypicals either, but it can be twice as hard. I can get into a situation where it can send me into a sensory overload 

Whoknows

I just talk, and end up talking 'til who knows.

Willow
I just talk, and end up talking 'til who knows.

Hmm, a lot of people with AS can end up doing this - and sometimes it's about something they're extremely interested in whilst the person they're talking to might not care at all for it. A conversation needs a balance, so both people are interested :)