Sign in to follow this  
Gogorian

Topic's to talk about?

Heather

I tend to be always the one listening if it's a group thing.  Because I'm not good at knowing when to speak, and if there's more than just me and another person, they can usually find something to talk about amoung themselves.  I tend to laugh a lot but not say much.  I am MUCH better at one on one conversation, especially with people I know well, because I know when they stop talking I can talk, because who else is going to talk?  And also I know when they ask a question, they are asking it to me, and no one else can respond.

Whoknows
Hmm, a lot of people with AS can end up doing this - and sometimes it's about something they're extremely interested in whilst the person they're talking to might not care at all for it. A conversation needs a balance, so both people are interested :)

Welcome to my life.

Erythrura
I really don't know what do to when it gets to the stage when you're meant to talk back and properly engage. Just keep switching it back to them. 

When switching the conversation back to them, you've got to make sure you don't end up 'interviewing' the person. In a conversation, I typically find that I either can't say anything at all, turn a conversation around to my interests, or end up overloading the person I am talking to with questions about themselves, thinking I am making successful smalltalk. I once had someone next to me ask if I was playing a guessing game with the person I was talking to because all I did was ask them questions. Embarrassing  <_<

It helps if you can find some 'middle ground', so to speak. A common interest between both parties...just remember not to info-dump on the other person! 

Willow
When switching the conversation back to them, you've got to make sure you don't end up 'interviewing' the person. In a conversation, I typically find that I either can't say anything at all, turn a conversation around to my interests, or end up overloading the person I am talking to with questions about themselves, thinking I am making successful smalltalk. I once had someone next to me ask if I was playing a guessing game with the person I was talking to because all I did was ask them questions. Embarrassing  <_<

It helps if you can find some 'middle ground', so to speak. A common interest between both parties...just remember not to info-dump on the other person! 

hehe yeah I guess it could end up that way. Finding middle ground would always be best, as you say - but the info-dump thing is kind of difficult for some people with AS, they don't know they're doing therefore, can't stop themselves. I hear myself doing it and think..'argh! shut up, they don't care!' but then I find it hard to stop and begin on something else. I fee like I can't just abruptly stop talking about it, so sort of trail off... :(

Pharaoh_G

Who is bold enough to discuss religion with me in a separate forum? I'm struggling with how to interact with people of the same faith...especially if some may not understand me.

Ben
Who is bold enough to discuss religion with me in a separate forum? I'm struggling with how to interact with people of the same faith...especially if some may not understand me.

Absolutely. I have no qualms taking about any religion. 

Stressmonster

Religion is an interesting topic.

Arthur

religion is like politics divides people and get out of hand.

Ben

Only people who misinterpret religion. It should be all about love, and being the best you can be, and live through jesus' example. That is all. Yet humans always find a way to complicate everything.

Stressmonster

Understand what you're saying. Religion is so many different things to so many different people. But it is a damn touchy subjekt for a lot of people as well. :P