TheWizardofCalculus

Career Information for Aspies: Math, Science, and Engineering

TheWizardofCalculus

Programming is one of the most difficult branches of applied mathematics; the poorer mathematicians had better remain pure mathematicians.

E.W Dijkstra

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/transcriptions/EWD04xx/EWD498.html

I'm going to take a leap of faith and surmise that this was written down by a programmer?  =)

Electrician.

I just can't function when it comes to academics.  But we use trigonometry all day on the job.  Plus it keeps you active physically.  Many female electricians are asp/asd.

Started out in the navy as an electronics technician.  The navy nuke field is filled with asp asd's.

Yeah, that sounds about right.  Honestly, I think that academia and all technical jobs (from mathematics to linguistics) are likely littered with people with ASD's.

(deleted)

I like Computing and Maths. I wasn't sure if your description of "abstract Maths" was supposed to put aspies off because apparantly aspies sruggle with abstract concepts but I actually really like that kind of Maths. But I wouldn't want to make a career out of Maths for some reason though...

Edited by invisible

TheWizardofCalculus

I like Computing and Maths. I wasn't sure if your description of "abstract Maths" was supposed to put aspies off because apparantly aspies sruggle with abstract concepts but I actually really like that kind of Maths. But I wouldn't want to make a career out of Maths for some reason though...

No, it's not designed to put them off.  =)

I find that aspies do, in fact, tend to understand abstract concepts quite well.  I've never understood that statement of an aspie symptom.  I cannot imagine what is meant by it, unless they are referring to complex, abstract social thoughts.

Edited by TheWizardofCalculus

Xenolith

Yeah, that sounds about right.  Honestly, I think that academia and all technical jobs (from mathematics to linguistics) are likely littered with people with ASD's.

That was certainly the impression I have got from my visits to universities! Academia looks like Aspie heaven. 

(deleted)

No, it's not designed to put them off.  =)

I find that aspies do, in fact, tend to understand abstract concepts quite well.  I've never understood that statement of an aspie symptom.  I cannot imagine what is meant by it, unless they are referring to complex, abstract social thoughts.

Yes I can certainly agree with that. That is one of the things that has always made me unsure about wether or not I have Asperger's Syndrome. EDIT: I mean as in like I do get abstract concepts quite easily sometimes actually. Also I think that because aspies are generally less reliant on verbal thinking that probably makes it easier for them to understand abstract concepts, especially ones which can't be explained too well in terms of words (like how most abstract concepts are). That's assuming of course that they can understand the explanation given to them of the abstract concept LOL!!! (Meaning that the explanation has to be given in terms of words of course which makes it a little bit difficult for them to understand...)

That was certainly the impression I have got from my visits to universities! Academia looks like Aspie heaven. 

That is what I would expect as well...

Edited by invisible

TheWizardofCalculus

It's not entirely aspie heaven, but it's much better than most working environments.

Yes I can certainly agree with that. That is one of the things that has always made me unsure about wether or not I have Asperger's Syndrome. EDIT: I mean as in like I do get abstract concepts quite easily sometimes actually. Also I think that because aspies are generally less reliant on verbal thinking that probably makes it easier for them to understand abstract concepts, especially ones which can't be explained too well in terms of words (like how most abstract concepts are). That's assuming of course that they can understand the explanation given to them of the abstract concept LOL!!! (Meaning that the explanation has to be given in terms of words of course which makes it a little bit difficult for them to understand...)

That is what I would expect as well...

Yeah, it's not an official DSM criterion anyways, as memory serves, so I don't think that it matters very much.

(deleted)

Yeah, it's not an official DSM criterion anyways, as memory serves, so I don't think that it matters very much.

No it isn't but that doesn't stop my mother from using it as a reason why I can't have Asperger's.

Edited by invisible

Aeolienne

TheWizardofCalculus, on 17 Apr 2014 - 05:33 AM, said:

2.) The market is pretty saturated with engineers.  I wouldn't say that there's huge numbers of positions available for engineers.  If you have a degree from a good engineering university, you'll do fine.

Is that more true of the US than the UK? Over here we keep hearing about a skills shortage.

TheWizardofCalculus

Is that more true of the US than the UK? Over here we keep hearing about a skills shortage.

It's at least true in the US.  In the US, they also say that we have a shortage, but realistically that's not true.  Most of my friends who are engineers have had some level of difficulty getting a job, but not all of them.  It also depends on what your specialty is, however.  Again, that's not to say that it's hard to get a job as an engineer, but it's not nearly as easy (at least in the US) as many people would think, especially for things like mechanical engineering.