Jump to content
Willow

Ranting

Recommended Posts

StarlessEclipse

I loathe YouTube's new "artist channels" feature. What kind of complete and utter idiot could possibly think it would be a good idea to screw up the site's functionality so badly? How arrogant would one have to be to think that one is doing artists a favour by denying them the ability to opt out of having their YouTube channels hijacked and rendered completely unusable in the way that conventional channels are? It's shit like this that makes me relieved that I abandoned my ambition of a career in the software industry. 99.9% of people working in the industry seem to be insufferably smug assholes with all the common sense of a teaspoon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Miss Chief
On 5/31/2018 at 7:17 AM, Sirius said:

I loathe YouTube's new "artist channels" feature. What kind of complete and utter idiot could possibly think it would be a good idea to screw up the site's functionality so badly? How arrogant would one have to be to think that one is doing artists a favour by denying them the ability to opt out of having their YouTube channels hijacked and rendered completely unusable in the way that conventional channels are? It's shit like this that makes me relieved that I abandoned my ambition of a career in the software industry. 99.9% of people working in the industry seem to be insufferably smug assholes with all the common sense of a teaspoon.

Ok I wasn't aware of this (not being an artist) but having read this... is seems to be designed for musicians... Makes sense from what I've read, certainly seems to bring functionality suitable for musicians.... you can create playlists and albums, chose what you want to promote (i.e. upcoming singles) and as a fan I can listen to an album in order, checkout upcoming stuff etc. What's wrong with it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nesf
On 5/3/2018 at 3:48 PM, Myrtonos said:

What if someone (if 1.) doesn't think that those comments warrant a response

Then they won't respond.

On 5/3/2018 at 3:48 PM, Myrtonos said:

can't conceive that the full meaning of a complex question is important to grasp.

Then they will give an impartial or inadequate response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
StarlessEclipse
8 hours ago, Miss Chief said:

What's wrong with it?

The problem is that there's no guarantee of being able to view all of an artist channel's uploads in chronological order, especially on mobile devices. The "videos" tab should take the user straight to a channel's uploads, and this no longer happens. On the desktop site (and ONLY on the desktop site), there is a dropdown box that takes the user to where "videos" used to lead by default, but not all videos are even listed there, because Google clearly didn't test this anywhere thoroughly enough before implementing it. There's an "uploads" section on the home page, but only if whoever manages the channel chooses to enable it, and some haven't. For someone like myself who mainly browses YouTube via the Android app, basic functionality is utterly crippled on most of these channels. It's just yet another case of developers abandoning a simple, intuitive and perfectly functional design in favour of a convoluted mess.

They didn't even take enough care to ensure that content is ending up where it belongs when merging channels. Not long ago, videos by a bunch of completely unrelated bands were showing up under "David Bowie", burying all of his own music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Myrtonos
15 hours ago, Nesf said:

Then they will give an impartial or inadequate response.

You said they'd do that if they have trouble grasping the full meaning. Wouldn't it be any different if they can't even conceive that the full meaning of a complex question is important to grasp?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
StarlessEclipse

@Myrtonos @Nesf @Miss Chief might it be more appropriate to continue this conversation in the Cooling Off thread? I know it's not a hostile dispute, but it's not really what this thread is for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Miss Chief
2 hours ago, Sirius said:

@Myrtonos @Nesf @Miss Chief might it be more appropriate to continue this conversation in the Cooling Off thread? I know it's not a hostile dispute, but it's not really what this thread is for.

I am not involved in the above conversation so not sure why you included me in it the above? Nor is it a heated one so I don't see why it should be in cooling off. People often go off topic in this thread, for example I answered your earlier comment and that wasn't a rant (my answer I mean) was just me asking you what was wrong with something. I have to say I still don't see the problem... surely it is up to the owner/artist to decide how they want people to experience their work/music. As for David Bowie, most of his work was created before youtube was a thing so why on earth would you want to watch it in the order it was uploaded? As for there being other artists on his channel, that sounds weird but clearly was the choice of the people who run the channel and hardly youtube/googles fault. When I looked at his channel I found this: https://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialDavidBowie/videos  and I don't see any other artists in there (except where they actually featured on his albums of course).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nesf
11 hours ago, Sirius said:

@Myrtonos @Nesf @Miss Chief might it be more appropriate to continue this conversation in the Cooling Off thread? I know it's not a hostile dispute, but it's not really what this thread is for.

I don't think it is necessary - the cooling off thread was for the particularly acrimonious disputes and bickering that use to occur on a regular basis here, which disrupted and derailed other threads. This is more a discussion, perhaps a diagreement, than an argument, and I don't see any reason to move it, it's not like we are swearing at each other or exchanging insults. This thread is for general ranting on any topic, and I don't find it inappropiate.

On 6/2/2018 at 6:12 AM, Myrtonos said:

You said they'd do that if they have trouble grasping the full meaning. Wouldn't it be any different if they can't even conceive that the full meaning of a complex question is important to grasp?

Probably not - they can't respond to something that they are unaware of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Myrtonos

But they might be aware of it, but not only have trouble grasping the full meaning but think it it's not important to grasp the full meaning of such an "unnecessarily" complex question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nesf
On 6/4/2018 at 10:46 AM, Myrtonos said:

But they might be aware of it, but not only have trouble grasping the full meaning but think it it's not important to grasp the full meaning of such an "unnecessarily" complex question.

I agree. In whcih case, you won't get the response you were hoping for.

Many people find it hard to hold more than one idea, or one piece of information at one time in their head. If they have this difficulty, they are unlikely to grasp the full meaning. Best to keep things simple, or to break them down into stages or separate questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.