Willow

Ranting

Miss Chief
On 6/16/2018 at 12:24 PM, Sirius said:

ALRIGHT, FINE, SINCE YOU WON'T SHUT UP ABOUT IT, WE MIGHT, POSSIBLY - VERY CAREFULLY - CONSIDER WHETHER OUR BENEFACTORS IN THE PHARMACEUTICAL INDUSTRY AND THE PRISON INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX WILL ALLOW US TO LET THE LITTLE BRAT LIVE! HAPPY NOW???

The British government is subject to a lot of rules when it comes to donations and spending, if they so much as send a bouquet of flowers they have to declare it, it is very different to the legalised bribery of the US. As for the pharma complex they hate the British government because we refuse to pay the prices they get away with charging in the US. Personally I don't understand why big pharma aren't researching the ingredients of cannabis (obviously in countries where it is legal to do so) and making medicines that work from them. 

Myrtonos

I recently received a warning simply for a thread which was deleted, simply for giving an example of a disagreeable person. Disagreeable doesn't necessarily mean aggressive, and before I started that thread, I didn't know that many others thought it meant that.

So for example, a blogger or vlogger who keeps things as tight as they can so only certain people can follow them, comment on their blog or channel, etc, is most certainly quite a disagreeable person.

One the other hand, someone who doesn't like to restrict, such as not liking to make content patron-only, is likely to be more agreeable.

RiRi
8 minutes ago, Myrtonos said:

I recently received a warning simply for a thread which was deleted, simply for giving an example of a disagreeable person. Disagreeable doesn't necessarily mean aggressive, and before I started that thread, I didn't know that many others thought it meant that.

So for example, a blogger or vlogger who keeps things as tight as they can so only certain people can follow them, comment on their blog or channel, etc, is most certainly quite a disagreeable person.

One the other hand, someone who doesn't like to restrict, such as not liking to make content patron-only, is likely to be more agreeable.

@Myrtonos I saw that thread and while I reading it, I thought you'd say I am a disagreeable person. To be honest, it's probably the first time I see someone describe someone as disagreeable. Without looking at a dictionary definition, I don't think it's a bad adjective or describes a bad person. Anyone can be a disagreeable person, anyone can disagree on something with another person. Now, I've just looked up the definition and I guess I now understand why some people were so upset that you used that word to describe a member. Taken from a google search:

dis·a·gree·a·ble

ˌdisəˈɡrēəb(ə)l/

adjective

not pleasant or enjoyable.

"another disagreeable thought came to him"

synonyms:unpleasant, displeasing, nasty, offensive, off-putting, obnoxious, objectionable, horrible, horrid, dreadful, frightful, abominable, odious, repugnant, repulsive, repellent, revolting, disgusting, foul, vile, nauseating, sickening, unpalatable

"a disagreeable smell"

unfriendly and bad-tempered.

"Henry was always a very disagreeable boy"

synonyms:bad-tempered, ill-tempered, curmudgeonly, cross, crabbed, irritable, grumpy, peevish, sullen, prickly; More

I guess that's why a lot of people seemed angered and triggered by the thread that you made. Personally, I didn't get it until now, I still don't get it but I can conclude that is the reason why a lot of people gave you backlash for it. 

@Myrtonos What kind of warning did you receive? What does disagreeable mean to you? By reading your posts it seems like you think disagreeable means a person who doesn't like other people disagreeing with them. I based this on you saying that they put restrictions versus not. I don't believe that by those actions you can tell that person is disagreeable or not. That person may just be sensitive to criticism or they might be receiving a lot of hate by people who are jealous of them and they can limit the amount of hate by putting restrictions. 

RiRi

This whole ordeal makes me question whether @Myrtonos was punished unfairly since he was using the word not to mean something bad and he didn't know there was a second definition to the word. :rolleyes: Or were you using it as an offensive word @Myrtonos

Miss Chief

@Myrtonos Are you talking about a thread on this forum? The one where you asked about hosting a vlog on a private website rather than youtube? I didn't know there had been any updates on that thread... I have posted in it so I should have had a notification? I don't remember you using the word disagreeable on that thread either but if I'm not getting updates perhaps that is why?

Personally I know what disagreeable means it is one of the 5 big personality markers, agreeableness means that you either will or won't go with the flow even if you don't agree with the sentiment. I would say that in the main I am not an agreeable person but I don't think that is a bad thing it just means I will say what I really think and why I think it even if it is not the 'popular' opinion.

If I have the right thread I seem to recall you and I were the only active posters in the thread? Were you calling me disagreeable? I don't think I would be offended if you were... perhaps it might be an idea for us to discuss this via PM though if you have had a warning about it? I don't want you to get into more trouble by just moving the discussion to here.

Myrtonos
2 hours ago, RiRi said:

I saw that thread and while I reading it, I thought you'd say I am a disagreeable person. To be honest, it's probably the first time I see someone describe someone as disagreeable. Without looking at a dictionary definition, I don't think it's a bad adjective or describes a bad person. Anyone can be a disagreeable person, anyone can disagree on something with another person.

I said nothing about you. Disagreeable doesn't mean disagreeing on something with another person, it has more to do with not doing a thing one doesn't want to do. Priding oneself in control is also disagreeable. In fact I like to pride myself in control.

1 hour ago, Miss Chief said:

Are you talking about a thread on this forum? The one where you asked about hosting a vlog on a private website rather than youtube? I didn't know there had been any updates on that thread... I have posted in it so I should have had a notification? I don't remember you using the word disagreeable on that thread either but if I'm not getting updates perhaps that is why?

No, it was a different thread now deleted where I used both the words agreeable and disagreeable.

1 hour ago, Miss Chief said:

Personally I know what disagreeable means it is one of the 5 big personality markers, agreeableness means that you either will or won't go with the flow even if you don't agree with the sentiment. I would say that in the main I am not an agreeable person but I don't think that is a bad thing it just means I will say what I really think and why I think it even if it is not the 'popular' opinion.

One way to get an idea is to recall asking someone (directly or indirectly) what they wanted at the time of asking. Did they tell you right away or were they unsure what they would want?

RiRi
26 minutes ago, Myrtonos said:

I said nothing about you.

I know that, please read my post again I said I thought you'd (i.e. I thought you would) but instead you mentioned @Nesf as being the most disagreeable active member of the forum. Note that I've no idea what you mean by disagreeable. I was trying to defend you, in case you didn't figure. I guess what might have been mostly wrong of what you did is openly making an opinion about a forum member, maybe that is what was out of line. And using a word that might be taken as offensive to described someone which violates the forum's terms of use. 

Myrtonos

I didn't even think of describing your personality, sorry, I didn't pay enough attention to the exact wording. Agreeable means things like friendly, accommodating and compassionate. I gave an example of a member who comes across as quite disagreeable (key words "comes across") so that others have an idea on what disagreeable means, and gave an example of someone who seems quite agreeable for an aspie so they know what agreeable means.

Miss Chief
1 hour ago, Myrtonos said:

Agreeable means things like friendly, accommodating and compassionate.

And you think Nesf is disagreeable? As in the opposite of the above?

I have to say I am not surprised it got deleted. Nesf is one of our most reasonable members, she is often able to settle disagreements between members and frequently offers support and advice to those who want/need it. I don't think she is particularly disagreeable even by my definition but she definitely isn't by your definition.

Myrtonos
2 hours ago, Miss Chief said:

And you think Nesf is disagreeable? As in the opposite of the above?

Not as in the opposite of the above. I didn't say "agreeable means friendly, accommodating and compassionate" I said "Agreeable means things like friendly, accommodating and compassionate."[emphasis added] It's hard for me to explain exactly what agreeable means. One thing an agreeable person might say is something like "Your mother died shortly after you were born and you have always had family problems so it's no wonder you are feeling this way and we all need to take care of each other."

2 hours ago, Miss Chief said:

I have to say I am not surprised it got deleted. Nesf is one of our most reasonable members, she is often able to settle disagreements between members and frequently offers support and advice to those who want/need it. I don't think she is particularly disagreeable even by my definition but she definitely isn't by your definition.

There is a difference between reasonable and agreeable. To see why, someone being on your side of a dispute doesn't make them accommodating and compassionate. Or consider a boss who judges you on your accomplishments. You might be doing the work and they are very good to you, but that doesn't mean they really care about your feelings. And being able to settle disputes between others also doesn't make one agreeable.

Someone might run a private club, and keep things tight enough that only certain people can join. You might be one of those people, and like them, but they still pride themself in control.

Finally, just because someone won't do a thing you don't want them to do doesn't make them agreeable.

Edited by Myrtonos