Toran

Clothes And Fashion

Toran

How do you all see yourselves, do you define who you are by what you wear. Does it make a difference to making you feel comfortable or uncomfortable. If you have to wear something you dont like or irritates you how does that effect you and how far will you go to wear or not to wear what you want.

Sofi

I can only wear clothes that I am comfortable in,, I couldn't ever wear something that irritates me (waistbands, belts, labels on clothes) just because it is in fashion. I don't follow fashion trends anyway and often those clothes wouldn't be comfortable for me. I just wear whatever I like or what is comfortable, most of my clothes are from the same shop, or 2 shops, because I know their clothes are okay for me. 

Andy

When I dress up to go out in my favourite clothing, it actually makes makes me feel good about myself and confident. Yeah I get looked at, but isn't that the whole purpose of dressing up, but what I wear is not modern day fashion, in fact the more fashionable something is the more I will keep away from it because of one thing, if one wants to be fashionable one has to constantly have their hand in their pocket and that's not me, and I can't have large quantities of clothing either, so what I have is stuff I wear mostly not rarely.

The materials I like are tactile fabrics as near natural as possible where the only synthetic I will allow is velvet type material otherwise it is silks, leather, wool, lace and pure cotton/linen, yes it's hard work to keep those fabrics in good order, especially the sodding silks but one's best clothes one looks after as they were not cheap and they have lasted a long time like a minimum of ten years so far.

My fashion, when I dress up to go out that is, what my style says about me is individual, I don't follow the herd, it also I am told is sort of fantasy/harry potter/battle re-enactor/ rock musician/ gothic, but I like older styles and I am quite interested in the steam punk fashion where I will cross gender boundaries, I always have, but my style has always been renn goth. Colours; dark red, black, green, purple and I don the metalwork when in that mode, as I have gone out wearing chain mail before, but metalwork normally in the silver rings and bangles I have made or if I am wearing my hair tied up, I did have a silver serpentine bobble shield I made but drunk one night, I gave it away and so must make another.

But when not dressing up I wear Asian clothes in the  summer, things called kurtas which are both cool and warm at the same time, they stop sly drafts and they are baggy enough to stay cool when it's warm, but also smocks and tunics belted at the waist. Winter, it's all black; long woollen pea coat, black jeans, para boots or new rocks, a norwegian pullover, black leather digger hat and fingerless gloves. Winter or summer I always wear calf length or knee length boots, never trainers, shoes or sandals.

Nylon or other synthetic materials make me itch and if it is uniform that is someone else is paying for it, I look at it this way, they are buying my skills and labour, they are not paying me to advertise for them so I won't look after works uniform and with me it degrades fast as I am rather messy when I am working in that anything oily or greasy I usually get covered in it.

Also perhaps common to many here, clothing labels get unstitched at the first opportunity as I hate the itchy, tickly feel of those things, they irritate something evil.

Oh and I will not wear anything 'named'.

But I like clothing and I do believe clothing doth maketh the person

Willow
How do you all see yourselves, do you define who you are by what you wear. Does it make a difference to making you feel comfortable or uncomfortable. If you have to wear something you dont like or irritates you how does that effect you and how far will you go to wear or not to wear what you want.

I don't follow fashion as religiously as some people. I know what I like and if it creeps up as being fashionable then great. I like slightly Gothic things - so I have a lot of black, but then I kind of cross over into a country/American/girl next door style. I like skinny jeans and knee length black boots and black tank tops. :D

As for materials - whatever feels comfy for me in the store. As a general rule - cotton. I can wear soft jumper type materials but I am fussy with it.

And in terms of how far will I go to avoid wearing something that makes me uncomfortable - I left school and missed out on my GCSE's because I couldn't wear the school uniform and they wouldn't make a special allowance for my preferred jumper when we got a new head teacher. So, quite far.

Nowadays, I don't buy things I'm uncomfortable with - but if I happen to end up with something, I throw it out.

Also perhaps common to many here, clothing labels get unstitched at the first opportunity as I hate the itchy, tickly feel of those things, they irritate something evil.

I rip my tags out if they're annoying me - which means I have a lot of holes in my clothes! It's usually because I've just put it on and it's started to irritate me and in my panic I just grab it and tear it out.

Andy
I rip my tags out if they're annoying me - which means I have a lot of holes in my clothes! It's usually because I've just put it on and it's started to irritate me and in my panic I just grab it and tear it out.

Oh it is almost religious for me first job unpick the label and dispose of it quickly and make sure it is in the bin as they give me the creeps. But first before I unpick, I write down the care instructions in my note book where all sorts of good gen is written. But day to day wear I don't bother with the care instructions as day to day stuff gets washed with the rest anyway and I see day to day stuff as consumables.

Khasper

I have pretty much 1 look, polo shirt and Khakies makes it easy to go shopping, just check the size and I am good.

One time I was told that I needed to wear a shirt and a tie, I do not like ties as I think that I am choking, they didn't make any other comment other than that, so I went out and I picked up a pair of Black pants, Black Shirt, and a Black Tie. They didn't ask me to wear a tie again after that.

I don't like tags either, I usually go for the tagless items if I can, though one brand has really annoying ink and you are not able to tear that off.

mary

Like a lot of you tags tend to annoy me, so if they are irritating they are removed pretty much straight away.

As far as clothes go I wear the same kind of things no matter what the season.  I may put a fleece on if it's the weekend or a short sleeve cardigan on if I'm at work, but I can't deal with being too hot so I tend not to bother too much.

For work I wear black trousers and a nice top.  Outside of work I tend to wear cargo pants or jeans with a tshirt or nice top.  I don't follow fashion at all and have no dresses and I think one skirt, which is part of a suit I use for job interviews.

Sofi

I always use scissors to remove labels that are on clothes. 

I also tend to wear the same clothes all the time. I usually wear jogging bottoms, or my jeans sometimes if I am going out, long sleeve top of which I have a few in different colours, and a jumper on top. I have one hoody I wear all the time basically but my mum tells me it's not good for wearing outside of the house, so I have another jumper I wear out. I sometimes wear tights underneath my trousers if I am cold. I have A LOT of pyjamas though, I love pyjamas! 

I've not been anywhere where I needed to 'dress up' for a long time - I hate dealing with those kind of clothes! 

Willow
I always use scissors to remove labels that are on clothes. 

I also tend to wear the same clothes all the time. I usually wear jogging bottoms, or my jeans sometimes if I am going out, long sleeve top of which I have a few in different colours, and a jumper on top. I have one hoody I wear all the time basically but my mum tells me it's not good for wearing outside of the house, so I have another jumper I wear out. I sometimes wear tights underneath my trousers if I am cold. I have A LOT of pyjamas though, I love pyjamas! 

I've not been anywhere where I needed to 'dress up' for a long time - I hate dealing with those kind of clothes! 

I find using scissors to remove tags makes a little stub of material which is even more annoying than if I'd just left it.

I can't wear a jumper over a long sleeved top, it creases up and it irritates me so much - the same goes for tights underneath trousers.

But, I do love pajamas :D I don't have too many pairs though but I love wearing them if I'm not going out of the house.

Sofi
I find using scissors to remove tags makes a little stub of material which is even more annoying than if I'd just left it.

I can't wear a jumper over a long sleeved top, it creases up and it irritates me so much - the same goes for tights underneath trousers.

But, I do love pajamas :D I don't have too many pairs though but I love wearing them if I'm not going out of the house.

I know a lot of people don't like the tights under trousers, I am surprised I am actually okay with it. It is a thing I started doing only recently, I have been so cold recently. I know what you mean, the top needs to be  just right for it to be comfortable, I only wear 2 jumpers so I know they are okay. Everything with my clothes needs to be just right or I won't be happy. I have a lot of problems with coats on top of jumpers, I still don't have a coat I am comfortable in. 

I have too many pyjamas, I have 2 all in one  and lots of fleece ones, not many t-shirt ones because I'm always freezing, 3 dressing gowns for different specific purposes  haha  :D