Nesf

Which ASD symptoms don't you have?

Nesf

So far most of the threads here have concentrated on specific AS/ASD traits. As we are on a spectrum, we all have different traits to different extents: no two people are the same. So now I'm going to turn the tables and ask the question: which ASD traits don't you have?

Many people on the spectrum talk a lot and very fast, especially about their special interests. I don't talk much and find it hard to find topics of conversation.

I'm not as sensitive to light as some on the spectrum are: in fact I like natural daylight and find winter depressing, although I dislike bright fluorescent lighting.

I'm not sensitive to taste. I don't mind it too much if two different foods touch each other, and like spicy food. I dislike some foods for their smell or texture.

I don't have any daily rituals I have to adhere to, except perhaps my morning coffee, which is sacred :)

I vary my routine, but like to plan ahead and don't like sudden changes to the plan, having decided on it.

Saveyourscissors

With food the only thing that bothers me is smell and texture! I do eat food in specifc orders I think though!

Bruce

I'm not convinced that the main problems I came across were those caused by Autism, as such. Certainly, you'd do well to find anybody else involved in saying stuff I'm supposed to think I'm not understanding to agree with that....

Ben

Off the top of my head I can't think of many, but I know that people around here mention a lot of traits that I've never in my life experienced - and I mean a lot. 

Meltdowns for instance, I've never experienced one, or even heard of one until I came here. Then there's stimming and arm flapping when you're excited - again, never happened to me, and never knew that was a trait of Aspergers - (full Autism, definitely.) 

I also don't care for some members definition of 'obsession' - because to me, it's just a little nudge to make me more focused, dedicated, and successful at something. It's certainly not negative for me, or for anyone else around me - especially those who enjoy my passion, and my attitude. 

The only problems I seem to have with Aspergers these days, is a little bit of social inhibition, and  a spot of anxiety. But then, I guess I'm on a different part of the spectrum... 

I had severe anger issues as a child but I grew up around parents who really should have got a divorce sooner than they did - so there were several other contributing factors, not just any one single thing. 

King_oni

Well, I'm not for routine at all. I heavily dislike doing the same thing over and over... even as a habit. I guess there are some things that seem more of a habit with me, but in general I tend to vary a lot more and refrain from rigid schedules.

I'm probably also not as introverted as many aspies. I like a good party for example. A thing however that might make people wonder if I'm shy or introverted is that I don't talk to a lot of people at any place. But honestly, I just don't care about other people that much. That has little to do with being an aspie, but more with narcissistic traits.

Last year I had an assessment by a psychologist where I took the DISC test (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DISC_assessment) and he told that compared to other people with the same diagnosis (Asperger's) I scored the total opposite. Which showed me that I tend to be highly dominant and pretty much non-compliant in pretty much any situation. But again, that might be these narcissistic traits taking part of it as well.

aspiesw

I don't have sensory issues, I don't really have a massive problem with being touched. I try to make routines, but utterly fail, which usually doesn't bother me too much. I've never really had a problem staying in college/University

Heather

I don't have as many sensory issues as others seem to.  Though they are heightened when I am stressed or overwhelmed and then things that would normally be fine are overwhelming.  I also don't have as many issues with food as others seem to have, though if I'm not expecting a certain taste or texture, it can be annoying but I am not a picky eater most of the time.  Well actually it might seem like it if I go out now because I am vegan but I don't feel it is a restriction until I am with other people who don't eat the same way.

My biggest issue has typically been anxiety.. and I guess the most troublesome for being in public one if I cry in public because I got overwhelmed by anxiety. 

I like routines but realized it is hard to stick to them in this world because things always change and if I have a routine then I will get frustrated when it is interrupted, whereas if I keep myself thinking flexible then I will be more open to the changes.. though then it means that maybe I don't feel as productive as I could be because I end up procrastinating without a schedule.  I end up having to make little schedules for smaller periods of time when they come.  But I know that I get messed up and crazy when my little routines are messed up.  For one thing, sometimes I can't talk to my Chris at the same time as I normally would.. and that messes me up though I am usually okay because I can come up with a list of what he could be doing and I just pray and hope he is okay.  But if we go without talking for more than a day, then that makes me anxious because we can typically talk every day.

I don't like rambling about my special interests unless I'm with someone I'm comfortable and the topic comes up.  I think one of my biggest social struggles is also because I get very self conscious about how I look to other people, so it typically means I won't say much in social situations at all.  Though I'm better now than I was when I was younger, because I will talk when someone talks to me and can even have conversations with people occasionally.

And there are probably other things but it is hard to think of them.  This is a good topic though, Nesf, very original, I wouldn't have thought to make one like this, it's like backwards thinking 'what don't I have?' :)

Arthur

I don't have issues with food and texture. 

tern

I'm not totally incapable of recognising metaphors and always taking them as meant literally.

This actually delayed my recognition that I am an aspie. Because back in the period when I was discovering it, 2002-3, all the aspie literature was portraying it as a definitive characteristic and sign to never recognise a metaphor and always take them word for word literally. Understanding has got more sophisticated since then.

Nesf

I don't have as many sensory issues as others seem to.  Though they are heightened when I am stressed or overwhelmed and then things that would normally be fine are overwhelming.  I also don't have as many issues with food as others seem to have, though if I'm not expecting a certain taste or texture, it can be annoying but I am not a picky eater most of the time.  Well actually it might seem like it if I go out now because I am vegan but I don't feel it is a restriction until I am with other people who don't eat the same way.

I certainly second this one... noise seems very loud to me and high pitched noises bother me a lot, but they don't stop me going about my daily business. If I'm stressed though, it can get to the point that I can't function.

I'm not totally incapable of recognising metaphors and always taking them as meant literally.

This actually delayed my recognition that I am an aspie. Because back in the period when I was discovering it, 2002-3, all the aspie literature was portraying it as a definitive characteristic and sign to never recognise a metaphor and always take them word for word literally. Understanding has got more sophisticated since then.

I have no problems with metaphors and idiomatic expressions now as an older adult, because I have learned them just as I learn any other vocabulary item. Jokes, wind-ups and sarcasm still cause me problems though, as I don't always know how to recognise them.

Edited by Nesf