Nesf

Which ASD symptoms don't you have?

Little Pink Coupe

One thing I forgot to mention is, I also don't really get upset or bothered too much when plans change anymore. I used to hate it when plans changed when I was a little kid, like if my folks took a different route home while driving, if we had to postpone going somewhere, etc. I remember when I was about 6, my dad and I had plans to go to Pizza Hut for dinner one night, but then he found out he had extra work to do that evening, or he was too tired or wasn't feeling well, so we ended up eating at home and planned to go out the following night. I remember him telling me he was proud of how willing I was to postpone going to Pizza Hut, which makes me think I didn't really manage those kinds of things that well as a little kid, so the fact that I was taking it well right then was a big deal.

aspiesw

One thing I forgot to mention is, I also don't really get upset or bothered too much when plans change anymore. I used to hate it when plans changed when I was a little kid, like if my folks took a different route home while driving, if we had to postpone going somewhere, etc. I remember when I was about 6, my dad and I had plans to go to Pizza Hut for dinner one night, but then he found out he had extra work to do that evening, or he was too tired or wasn't feeling well, so we ended up eating at home and planned to go out the following night. I remember him telling me he was proud of how willing I was to postpone going to Pizza Hut, which makes me think I didn't really manage those kinds of things that well as a little kid, so the fact that I was taking it well right then was a big deal.

Since my anxiety's got worse, I don't care when people change plans

null

Routine: I'm not bound by routine either. I just do things as they come. I also can't create my own routine to save my life.

Sensory issues: I barely have any. I have a couple related to food but nothing too major. I have no problems with being touched.

Eye contact: I prefer to make eye contact with people. I'm fine with it for most people and I even like it with people I care deeply about.

Talking: I rarely talk until I work out what makes someone tick.

Numbers: I suck at maths.

Metaphors and humour: Never had any trouble with either. In fact, people always expect me to be literal so I often confuse people with use of metaphor or being dry.

Memory: My short-term memory is god-awful. I do have a good long term memory for absolutely useless trivia and events though.

Special interests: I don't really have any. I'll become particularly attached to one game or one programme for a while and then lose interest but I can switch things up.

I also feel far too much empathy but we all know that the whole 'aspies don't feel empathy' is a load of rubbish so we'll just sweep that one under the rug.

Edited by Laddo

DominikaCupcake

I understand sarcasm, methaphores, humour (although most people don't get my kind of humour) and i am able to have a chit-chat if the time's right. I like to enjoy the company of other people to some extent and i can talk about more things that just my special interests. Also i don't have problems with empathasing with others. That's it, i guess.

PandaPrincess

I also forgot to put that I am pretty good at eye contact (there are a lot of NTs who make terrible eye contact when I talk to them).  I'm not always bothered by change (I mean, the plans can be changed sometimes, and I won't get upset), but I do still get upset over minor changes and of course major changes too, so I guess it's still a bit of a problem for me.  I can't stand it when my mom moves things around in my room.   :( I can talk about more than just my special interests too, although lately I've been talking to these people at the college, and they all like anime too, so we have discussions about anime a lot  :D For me, empathy can go both ways.  I won't feel any empathy at all if someone is in a situation I've never experienced before, such as getting a major injury.  In other situations, I can feel too much empathy.  For example, if someone gets in trouble in class, then I would feel just as bad as if I was the one who got in trouble because I would be mortified if I had gotten in trouble.  

Nesf

I don't have any difficulty going out of the house by myself, and I like travelling and visiting new places, as long as it is planned in advanced. I don't like using public transport and going into small shops, though.

I often feel anxiety, but I rarely have the full-on panic or anxiety attacks that many people experience. I seem to be able to avoid them. When I was a kid, I used to be terrified of sudden loud noises, especially thunder, and that caused panic attacks. I still feel nervous whenever there is a thunderstorm, but no longer panic unless I'm caught outside on the mountain or something. The other times I had panic or anxiety attacks was when suddenly been introduced to a new person and expected to talk to them (I hate this situation, my social skills aren't good enough to be able to strike up an ad hoc conversation just like that), when I was on a crowded bus and I was hemmed in people and I couldn't get out (now I fear to get on crowded busses), and when stray dogs were barking and snapping at my legs - I was petrified! But under normal circumstances I'm ok about going out, even to new places, actually I like travelling and seeing new places. I wish I could go on holiday!