aspiesw

Which ASD symptoms you struggle with the most?

aspiesw

Which symptoms (or traits) of Asperger's Syndrome do you struggle with the most?

For me, it's not being able to understand certain instructions, and not being able to understand humor, they really affect my interactions with people and make me feel insecure, because of this, I'm never fully sure what I'm meant to say, or how to reply to things, and is just really awkward

Saveyourscissors

I think there is already a topic for this. For me I struggle with socializing the most and taking things literally probably. In fact I doubt I can pick just one thing!!

The Watcher

Which symptoms (or traits) of Asperger's Syndrome do you struggle with the most?

For me, it's not being able to understand certain instructions, and not being able to understand humor, they really affect my interactions with people and make me feel insecure, because of this, I'm never fully sure what I'm meant to say, or how to reply to things, and is just really awkward

I experience the traits as you do in being unable to understand instructions beyond a certain level and humour is wasted on me because i very rarely get the joke that somebody telling me or implying a humourous remark.

Nesf

Not being able to join in conversations and make small talk. Being underconfident in social situations. Not always getting jokes and not being able to reciprocate humour or banter.

The Watcher

Not being able to join in conversations and make small talk. Being underconfident in social situations. Not always getting jokes and not being able to reciprocate humour or banter.

Obviously any social situation brings these problems for us but do you find its depending on the social situation an example a pub full of people to a library. Is it possible to have a social life if you are very selective or do you feel unable to in any situation as i do a lot of the time.

Echo

Whilst I agree that I do struggle with humor and social interaction as others have mentioned above, I tend to spend most of my time alone or with my partner (thus, limiting these problems a little). I am soon to be faced with them again I'm sure. 

What I really struggle with at the moment is: Obsessive behaviour towards my college work - perfectionism to the point that I have managed to turn a part-time course into a full-time one (and more so). It has taken over my life to the point that I'm starting to cycle out of it (loosing interest, stressing out over nothing...what Willow has described in one of her videos). 

The Watcher

Whilst I agree that I do struggle with humor and social interaction as others have mentioned above, I tend to spend most of my time alone or with my partner (thus, limiting these problems a little). I am soon to be faced with them again I'm sure. 

What I really struggle with at the moment is: Obsessive behaviour towards my college work - perfectionism to the point that I have managed to turn a part-time course into a full-time one (and more so). It has taken over my life to the point that I'm starting to cycle out of it (loosing interest, stressing out over nothing...what Willow has described in one of her videos).

I can relate to that i can become obsessed very quickly with certain projects even people as im currently obsessed with the charactor ofssheldon cooper from the big bang. Then as i have in the past moved on to another focus of interest. As it is 2014 one hundred years since the start of the first world war i find myself watching more and more programs about it until other interests have faded into the background so i know how you feel.

Nesf

Obviously any social situation brings these problems for us but do you find its depending on the social situation an example a pub full of people to a library. Is it possible to have a social life if you are very selective or do you feel unable to in any situation as i do a lot of the time.

My biggest problem is with groups and noisy environments such as pubs, but also with people I don't know because I don't know how to approach them and what to talk about. I'm much better with one to one conversations and do have a couple of friends with whom I occasionally meet up with over a cup of coffee or a beer, but these occasions are few and far between. I have a tendency to withdraw into myself a lot, shut down and not follow the conversation. With one to one conversations I often find the constant pressure to think of things to say in reply and not let my attention slip difficult exhausting, but can keep going for about an hour, or the length of time it takes me to drink my coffee before I need to switch off for a bit and stop conversing.

lifeis

I like pubs myself but I'm not really into clubs as there's just too much going on. if I've already had a lot to drink I'll go anywhere though.

I just seem to listen in conversations with more than one person and wait my turn to speak. I find it hard to interject as I don't want to appear rude.

as for my worst symptoms is depression one or rather how easily I become depressed? other than that I think I'll have to go with the usual social issues.

awesomeliza

Probably my inability to pick up on facial expressions and different ways of saying things, ie. humour, sarcasm etc. and knowing how and when to talk. Sometimes I end up interrupting without realising the other person was talking and that it offended them, or I just don't talk and apparently make things "awkward" without realising. I usually rely on people to tell me that something offended them, but sometimes I become a little more self-critical due to that and I've recently started to just not say anything due to being unable to find a way into a conversation without restarting it myself and taking control of the whole thing. Things like this just confuse me. :/

The thing I struggle with the most is eye contact. I can never bring myself to truly look in someone's eyes. If I force myself, I become really uncomfortable and panicky and my heart always skips a beat when I initiate eye contact and I usually cannot sustain it for a long time. Usually, I focus on people's mouths.

Also yes. This described me well, but I've always wondered something. What actually is banter? 

Also if anyone could give me an example of what banter is that'd be much appreciated. :)

Edited by awesomeliza