aspiesw

How to stop overthinking?

aspiesw

How do I stop overthinking? This is a very bad habit of mine I overthink everything, to the extent that it makes me not want to do things, and makes doing anything really pointless, it's basically ruining my life. Does anyone else overthink? How do you stop? Is there a way of stopping?   

Nesf

I often find that I overthink when I go to bed and can't sleep, so I always read before sleeping. Soothing herbal tea helps. A heavy duvet in winter helps me to relax.

Kuribo [old account]

I have a tendency to overthink. For me, sleeping and listening to music are pretty much the only things that help. Watching comedy shows can help a little too.

Nedarb

How do I stop overthinking? This is a very bad habit of mine I overthink everything, to the extent that it makes me not want to do things, and makes doing anything really pointless, it's basically ruining my life. Does anyone else overthink? How do you stop? Is there a way of stopping?   

I really wish that I could've turned off my brain even a tiny bit today! :(

Though over thinking has rarely failed me when writing essays

King_oni

I tend to stop overthinking by doing things that I like rather than overthink and worry over other things.

I could have so much on my mind right now, but I'm fighting it with hobbies and such. It's not the most cost efficient way to battle it I guess, but it's either this or going crazy

DominikaCupcake

Oh, how i wish that you could find a solution to this problem. I can't stop thinking. My brain is on 24/7 which annoys me because i sleep very little especially now with the pain in my feet.

But sleeping isn't the only problem. Overthinking makes my brain tired and it does't work as good as it should when i'm at School because it thinks about hundreds of different things at once and i can't focus on the lectures. But i found solution to that - meditation. It really helps. I can put my body to sleep with my brain being awaken, but quiet. Without even a one little thought for at least one hour. I feel very fresh and smart after this and i can concentrate more on what other people are speaking (like teachers). I also tend to be a little more social after meditating. Sometimes Lucid Dreaming and OBE helps too, but i can't guarantee it will work for you since we all react differently.

vcq14

I suffer likewise from a mind that is always ON and running at 500mph, making it hard to fall asleep some nights.

I have found that meditation works wonders. Oddly enough, my Aspie brain is wired with a very definite OFF switch that I can flip to the point where it is just silence, but I have to be in the right mindset to get there. I make sure to build meditation time into every day. Personally I am fascinated by Zen Buddhism and zazen (sitting meditation; http://buddhism.about.com/od/buddhismglossaryz/g/Zazendef.htm).

When I was stationed in Japan, I made it a point to visit as many Zen Buddhist temples as possible and to participate in temple services / activities. I find Zen chant to be immensely calming; one of my favorites is Hannya Shingyo (the Heart Sutra). I have written out the entire sutra in ink as the monks chanted it at Kokedera in Kyoto. I am a purist; I only like rin gong and voices, none of that "New Age" background music to detract (granted, this is an acquired taste!).

http://youtu.be/iSUziCRrLD4

http://www.dharmacrafts.com/ is a great source for meditation / Buddhist supplies.

InDubioVeritas

It is oddly reassuring to know I am not alone in fighting a losing battle with the tendency to overthink. I was recently joking with a fellow Asperclicker that we even manage to overthink the overthinking. Meta-overthinking means we have graduated to level 2 :)

My brain simply did not come equipped with an off switch. Sometimes I find myself analysing minutiae that I know offer no real insight into anything useful, but I cannot seem to ignore the impulse. It gets so bad at times that I feel like a mouse on a wheel, covering the same ground over and over again, getting nowhere at great speed and expending massive amounts of energy doing so. It is a disquieting feeling to lose control of your mind in such a way.

As an example, I recently suggested to someone that they take a look at a short article I came across in my reading online that day. It seemed like it might potentially offer some useful insight. My intentions were good, as always, but I found myself questioning my decision to share it, second guessing myself and becoming anxious about how I might be interpreted. Sometimes I really hate the paranoid, compulsive aspects of my aspie brain.

Edited by InDubioVeritas

DominikaCupcake

Sometimes I find myself analysing minutiae that I know offer no real insight into anything useful, but I cannot seem to ignore the impulse.

I have those thoughts all the time.

L Lawliet

I actually think I've said this somewhere else, but try using the Buddhist method of not "time travelling"

Take notice of things in your present. For example, are you sat or standing, what does the chair feel like, what can you see, are the things you're seeing bight coloured, do you enjoy the colours, what can you smell, are you hot or cold, etc.

Stop thinking about the past and the future, you can't do anything about them now. When you find your mind wandering, try to ground yourself in the present :)

I'm not saying that it is the ultimate cure for over thinking, but I have found that it is still very effective at times and does calm me down.