Scheduled Live-streams Read more... ×
TheWizardofCalculus

Spelling and Aspies

TheWizardofCalculus

Is poor spelling something common with aspies?

At every aspie forum that I've been to (to be fair, that's two), I've noticed that a lot of people are.... less than adept at spelling.  I have had to spend a long time learning how to spell words correctly (I obsessed over words in high school, which helped), and I had a lot of training on internet forums where it mattered whether or not what I wrote sounded professional, so I got used to double checking word's spellings until I just wrote memorized them.

My main point is, aspies have a tendency to be poor spellers and I have struggled to learn to become a good speller.  Is that a trait?  I seem to recall reading about this somewhere a few months ago.

Auletes

I've always been a very poor speller. First of all I've never seen the need to spell something correctly, mostly every one else would understand you even with a lot of mistakes in the text.

A general rule for my essays was: The better the content the worst my spelling, because I always got so excited to write something interesting that I completely forgot to mind the spelling.

Maybe this can be related the AS: Getting excited about one aspect that much (content in my example) so everything else tends to get forgotten (spelling)?

I often relate spelling to socializing. When it's just a basic conversation I'm quite good sometimes, but when I get excited about a topic, I forget every rule, I interrupt people, I speak without point... where I would  actually know not to do this things.

On the other hand I can't stand it when I see a mistake somewhere else and in general I'm very good in spotting them, but I wouldn't find the strangest most obvious mistakes in my own texts.

I have always been a very good speller. Themistakes you see on here are usually bad coordination typing errors. I can see if words are misspelt normally.

If I have never seen a word, then I may have trouble because I need to see the colour of the word to spell it and the colour comes from the spelling.

Not to sound boastful but my teacher used to get me to pick long words from the dictionary instead of the spelling test standards so no, not all Aspies are bad spellers.

Miss Chief

I spent years learning to spell correctly, I always put this down to being late coming to reading and writing English and being self taught but with a lot of effort I have pretty much got it sorted these days.

I have to say I think auto-correct is a bad thing because I think kids (with or without AS) will no longer take the time to learn to spell correctly for themselves. The reason I learnt to spell was because I was bothered by the ugly red zigzags that Word 97 used to put under a worrying large amount of my work.

L Lawliet

I wouldn't say I'm good at my spelling and grammar, but I also wouldn't say that I am bad either. I get by :P

I am very clumsy with the keys on a keyboard at times though. I also look at the keyboard when I type, so by the time I press post and look up at the screen, I see a hundred mistakes!

aspiesw

I've always been a good speller, in fact I pride myself in my grammar, spelling and punctuation

Luke

My spelling is terrible. I'm not too sure about my grammar and punctuation, after all, I can not asses such things without knowing what is correct (or at least not comprehensively). I do have GCSE and A-Level revision guides on English, so yeah, I'll definitely be reading them when I have time. To be honest, most of my writing is based on forum posts and OU books; the former not being the best of sources, but meh! :P

I have a habit of missing out those damn 'connectives'. In my mind they're always there, but I end up missing them out when I start typing. It's like my mind fills them in for me!  

Edited by Luke

Nesf

I'm a good speller but that doesn't mean that I never make mistakes. I'm not a very good typist because I lack the dexterity and coordination necessary to type well and fast. If a word is spellt wrong, I usually notice straight away because it doesn't look right.

Arthur

My spelling is horrible always make mistakes and typos all time.

InDubioVeritas

* finds himself suddenly re-checking his posts for typos and other mistakes*

As some on the forum have already noticed, I am something of a grammar snob. The integrity of language is important to me, as without it we impoverish our ability to express ourselves and even, arguably, to think clearly. The limits of my language mean the limits of my world.