Scheduled Live-streams Read more... ×
TheWizardofCalculus

Spelling and Aspies

weebo

Is poor spelling something common with aspies?

At every aspie forum that I've been to (to be fair, that's two), I've noticed that a lot of people are.... less than adept at spelling.  I have had to spend a long time learning how to spell words correctly (I obsessed over words in high school, which helped), and I had a lot of training on internet forums where it mattered whether or not what I wrote sounded professional, so I got used to double checking word's spellings until I just wrote memorized them.

My main point is, aspies have a tendency to be poor spellers and I have struggled to learn to become a good speller.  Is that a trait?  I seem to recall reading about this somewhere a few months ago.

i have Dyslexia so spelling and writing is hard for me

Saveyourscissors

I'm rubbish at spelling unless I use it a lot! I have to spell check texts/work stuff! If I don't take my time and think about it every other words spelt wrong!

Pinky and his brain

In my first language, I normally don't have problems with spelling. But since this is my second language, I guess I make quite a few mistakes when I post on this forum. ;)

luckydip

My spelling is very good and in fact it used to annoy my children when they asked me to look through their school work I would always be pointing out spelling mistakes instead of the content of what they had written.

My son who is also on the spectrum is also very good at spelling. 

Saveyourscissors

I'm rubbish at English overall it was always my worst subject when I was in school, so spelling, grammar, writing and reading isn't really my strong point. Its the one subject I struggled with at school, probably doesn't help that I have no interest in the subject though! 

Sofi

I am a very good speller. I am good with letters and words. I know how to spell most words. I was late to learn to write words but once I did, I taught myself all very quickly. It is more of a dyslexia trait - poor spelling - than ASD trait, but that can be common in ASD. 
I was terrible at the 'English' at school though. 

Heather

I think I'm an okay speller.  Though I know I can mess up with words.  When typing something online, I tend to use Google to check spelling of words that I do not know well or if I'm having a "bad-spelling day" where a correctly spelled word might look funny so I have to double check. 

I think Sofi is right that having troubles with spelling is probably more of a dyslexic trait, which people with Autism can have.

Davidiss

i'm really bad at spelling and grammar, if i don't know a word or it has red squiggle underneath it check it on google then copy paste in onto my post

Ala

I can spell really badly when I am under pressure.

I am terrible at writing a structured argument. I am close to hopeless at accurately expressing myself, it's definitely my Achilles heal at university. I am really good at researching and I excel at understanding processes but I just struggle to put my ideas down. Luckily my boyfriend is an amazing writer who has been able to help me over the years.

Edited by Alana

Justin

I use "your" instead of "you're" a lot and it really annoys people. I know the difference, it's just a habit.