Very good spellers

Nesf

Interesting, aspies seem to fall into two camps then:

Bad spellers

Very good spellers

Visual thinkers versus verbal thinkers?

TheWizardofCalculus

Visual thinkers versus verbal thinkers?

Very possibly, but I am neither --I'm a pattern thinker (with visual thinker leanings).  I tend to think in pictures and patterns, but the pictures usually have to obey patterns, and I usually "think" in terms of patterns (either logical/mathematical or visual).

Nesf

Very possibly, but I am neither --I'm a pattern thinker (with visual thinker leanings).  I tend to think in pictures and patterns, but the pictures usually have to obey patterns, and I usually "think" in terms of patterns (either logical/mathematical or visual).

I'm not sure what I am, I seem to have elements of verbal as well as visual thinking, but definitely not mathematical.

weebo

my memroy and reading skills are very low to its funny my IQ is 78 as well i wish i was a better speller and reader and my memeory drives me mad when i want to learn about my spechal interests

I think in pictures and abstract patterns and associations. I link say songs to people and thoughts to places and I can watch videos. When I speak, I read my sentences out of my head and my mind is like Pinterest. I think synesthesia has a lot to do with it.

Pinky and his brain

I think almost completely in pictures. If I think of a word, I see a white picture with the word written on it. If I think of an item, I see a picture of that item.

That may be why I am pretty good with mechanical stuff. I can remember where all the parts belong, simply by seeing the parts.

vcq14

Not in my experience...I always excelled at English/language arts and even managed to get runner-up in several spelling bees. (Granted, I am guilty of not spell-checking all my posts here, but am generally very solid at spelling / proper usage). I was using/taking college English in elementary school, so needless to say that vocabulary and the English language has always been my strong point (I was correcting my English teachers in the fourth grade when they would present a grammar point incorrectly!). I also generally score in the 95%+ percentile in English/language arts on specialized tests.

Perhaps this is more an individual thing? I would not say that there are more misspellings here than on other forums I participate on...

~S.H.

* finds himself suddenly re-checking his posts for typos and other mistakes*

As some on the forum have already noticed, I am something of a grammar snob. The integrity of language is important to me, as without it we impoverish our ability to express ourselves and even, arguably, to think clearly. The limits of my language mean the limits of my world.

Grammar snobs unite! :D

Nesf

I think almost completely in pictures. If I think of a word, I see a white picture with the word written on it. If I think of an item, I see a picture of that item.

I do this too. When I learn a foreign language I learn to read and write it before I learn to speak. I can't remember vocabulary nearly so well if I just hear it. If a word isn't written correctly it just doesn't look right, it has the wrong shape. If I think 'cat' I'll see a cat, one I saw recently and not the word. 'Hope' is a written word and appears as such, it's an abstract concept to me and isn't represented by a physical object.

Ala

I think similarly.