MichalBeth7

Nightmares, Sleep, and Weighted Blankets...

MichalBeth7

Hey everyone. Hopefully I don't offend anyone in this post. This is my first real deal topic, so I'm sort of nervous.  :(

I have always had issues with sleeplessness and nightmares. I am totally terrified of the dark and my thoughts always drift towards negativity once nighttime hits and I'm alone or not preoccupied with something. I was wondering if anyone else here experiences severe nightmares or night-terrors? And how do you deal with them?

Also, I was told by a close friend that maybe a weighted blanket would help. I thought about it and I really do think that it would for me. I was wondering if anyone else uses one, or maybe knows if they help with calming down and just relaxing enough to sleep? Thank you in advance to anyone who answers.  :)

Arthur

I've not had nightmare in a very very long time, prob had them as child. now I rarely get them. I have no fear of dark I tend to relax in dark room with no light. 

I've never had night terrors.

Nesf

When I was on antidepressants I used to get very vivid bad dreams, and I still have them now but not so frequently. I've noticed that I sleep a lot better with my thick heavy winter duvet than I do in summer. It's too hot here in summer to use a duvet, but I might try sewing heavy stones into the edges of a sheet to gain the same affect. A couple of days ago I dreamt I had fallen off a ladder and I woke up with the same panic as if I had actually fallen off the ladder. It took me 30 minutes to settle down again. Despite this, I find it nearly impossible to sleep with any light in the room. Even the standby light of the TV has to be covered up. I've heard that some people have lucid dreams which they can control, but I don't have these. I don't think there's a lot you can do about nightmares, but I think that a weighted duvet may help.

iggy

I'm not scared of the dark, but I do have nightmares on and off. 

A couple of days ago I dreamt I had fallen off a ladder and I woke up with the same panic as if I had actually fallen off the ladder. 

I have situations like this fairly regularly, or I dreamed that I was late for something and woke up in a panic that I had missed it yesterday, it takes a good 5 minutes to return to reality and it's not pleasant at all. 

Although I have never used or owned a weighted blanket, I imagine they would probably help, since I am relaxed under heavy blankets, although I have the tendency to overheat under them as well. I also sleep better when my cat is sleeping on my back/feet, which is the same kind of thing. 

I suggest getting a drink of water when you wake up (assuming you are comfortable leaving the room after the nightmare), and reading a book for 15-45 minutes or so, that usually works quite well for me. 

MichalBeth7

I've not had nightmare in a very very long time, prob had them as child. now I rarely get them. I have no fear of dark I tend to relax in dark room with no light. 

I've never had night terrors.

You are very blessed not to experience them very often and to not be afraid of the dark. I hope you never have to.  I honestly think it makes me act like such a big chicken though sometimes, haha.  :D I guess you have to find somewhere to laugh sometimes, some bright side. 

When I was on antidepressants I used to get very vivid bad dreams, and I still have them now but not so frequently. I've noticed that I sleep a lot better with my thick heavy winter duvet than I do in summer. It's too hot here in summer to use a duvet, but I might try sewing heavy stones into the edges of a sheet to gain the same affect. A couple of days ago I dreamt I had fallen off a ladder and I woke up with the same panic as if I had actually fallen off the ladder. It took me 30 minutes to settle down again. Despite this, I find it nearly impossible to sleep with any light in the room. Even the standby light of the TV has to be covered up. I've heard that some people have lucid dreams which they can control, but I don't have these. I don't think there's a lot you can do about nightmares, but I think that a weighted duvet may help.

I've never had to be put on antidepressants, but my mother has and it caused the most awful and vivid nightmares imaginable she said. I do sleep well with lots of heavy blankets as well, makes me feel safer I suppose. More comforted. Hard to explain really. Thankfully it's been an abnormally chilly winter where I am, so I have been able to pile the blankets on!  :) As for the light issue, I have a small desk lamp that casts a warm light. Helps me sleep. I have a close friend who I exactly like you though, made going on vacation with her interesting, as she and I shared a room, haha. I will be trying the weighted blanket. I am excited to see if it works.

I'm not scared of the dark, but I do have nightmares on and off. 

I have situations like this fairly regularly, or I dreamed that I was late for something and woke up in a panic that I had missed it yesterday, it takes a good 5 minutes to return to reality and it's not pleasant at all. 

Although I have never used or owned a weighted blanket, I imagine they would probably help, since I am relaxed under heavy blankets, although I have the tendency to overheat under them as well. I also sleep better when my cat is sleeping on my back/feet, which is the same kind of thing. 

I suggest getting a drink of water when you wake up (assuming you are comfortable leaving the room after the nightmare), and reading a book for 15-45 minutes or so, that usually works quite well for me. 

I do read right before I try to sleep and also drink a hot tea (Chamomile, or something of the sort.) right before bed. I have just been doing that lately though, although I have seen some improvements. I will try what you said about the drink of water and reading again. Thank you!  :)

brookeloveslotr

I know I'm a young adult, but I still strongly dislike nightmares. In one my Yorkie got hit by a truck, I was so relieved when it was just a dream and I saw him awake on the blue couch.

pilomaya

i get "night terrors" when i am ill, or if it is hot. when i was a child and up until recently i used to get them often, waking up confused, not even knowing who i was or where i was. etc. crying, scared. panic, then suddenly they shifted to the opposite, the most beautiful detailed dreams. almost as if i was walking in a heaven, with messages from "beings" and such amazing dreams like i was traveling to a world every night. i get that now nearly every night. its beautiful though. i have always had issues with sleep and if i eat bad foods with loads of e numbers and gluten and dairy my good dreams go away. last night i slept badly, jolting, twitching, an almost electrical feeling in my body which i hate. every morning when i wake up before i open my eyes i spend what seems ages sorting everything in my head and what i guess i call "getting clear" i can't get out of bed till i have done that. can't explain it really. 

Even when i was in a relationship i used to spend a lot of time in my own bed or even my own room because of my sleep issues. 

MichalBeth7

I know I'm a young adult, but I still strongly dislike nightmares. In one my Yorkie got hit by a truck, I was so relieved when it was just a dream and I saw him awake on the blue couch.

I'm the same way. I will frequently have nightmares about my boyfriend either getting hurt or killed. I'll often call him in the middle of the night just to make sure he's okay. It's very terrifying. I hope your nightmares go away soon too.  :)

i get "night terrors" when i am ill, or if it is hot. when i was a child and up until recently i used to get them often, waking up confused, not even knowing who i was or where i was. etc. crying, scared. panic, then suddenly they shifted to the opposite, the most beautiful detailed dreams. almost as if i was walking in a heaven, with messages from "beings" and such amazing dreams like i was traveling to a world every night. i get that now nearly every night. its beautiful though. i have always had issues with sleep and if i eat bad foods with loads of e numbers and gluten and dairy my good dreams go away. last night i slept badly, jolting, twitching, an almost electrical feeling in my body which i hate. every morning when i wake up before i open my eyes i spend what seems ages sorting everything in my head and what i guess i call "getting clear" i can't get out of bed till i have done that. can't explain it really. 

Even when i was in a relationship i used to spend a lot of time in my own bed or even my own room because of my sleep issues. 

I have also had very vivid good dreams as well. Which are tons better than the vivid nightmares I must say. I'm lactose intolerant, so I know to stay away from milk or milk products before bed. Stomach aches never let me rest at night. But I do something similar in the mornings. I will wake up and just try to figure out whether or not I was dreaming and preparing to leave that and move forward and go on about my day. Hard to explain. What are e numbers if I may ask?

brookeloveslotr

I hate darkness because I'm also claustrophobic, and if it's extremely dark I feel like I'm being closed in on and I feel like I have no room and no space.

I get nightmares often. I used to hate going to bed but I have got a new matress and duvet and it is really comfortable now!