Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aspiesw

Being Introverted vs Aspergers Syndrome

aspiesw

What's the difference between being an introvert and having Aspergers Syndrome/HFA. I'm just really curious because I'm both introverted and have Aspergers Syndrome so I don't really know the difference, lol. I think this could become an interesting debate :)

L Lawliet

Hmm... I suppose AS would present a lot more traits in different areas that introverts wouldn't have an issue with.

I'm not sure... :P

I think Aspies have difficulty in the social and sensory departments wheras introverts choose to be independent and quiet. Introverts are capable of holding conversations and stuff but they feel more comfortable and enjoy more 'introverty' things. Obviously I am talking in terms of extremes here and stereotyping introverts but I think the main thing is-choice or by force? Aspies can be extroverts too. I could explain more but I need to sleep :P

Heather

I have learned a few things about introversion, and it basically just means the person requires time by themselves to recharge their energy.  Whereas extraverts tend to get recharged by socializing.  I think people with AS/autism will tend to have more traits that people with introversion don't have and some people with AS/autism are extraverts possibly.  Though I think most people with autism are probably introverts because they find socializing exhausting but because there is a spectrum.. they are both different. 

brookeloveslotr

Introverts can be quiet too, but they can understand social cues and have great coordination. People with AS lack understanding of social cues and may need work on their coordination.

Nesf

Basically, being introverted is a personality trait, whereas AS is a developmental disorder which affects the way the brain processes information and consequently the way we think. The characteristics common to both AS people and introverts are:

- They usually prefer to be alone and choose solitude

- They may avoid loud social environments such as parties or clubs.

- They usually have fewer friends

- They may and lack confidence and be reluctant to try new things.

- They may suffer from anxiety and find it hard to approach people and join in conversations.

-  May have difficulty with  eye contact.

People with AS have these traits, but as was pointed out above, may be extrovert. In addition, people with AS have other traits that introverts don't experience:

- sensitivity to sensory input, mainly noise, touch and light.

- adherance to routines, or intense dislike of sudden changes to routines.

- Fine and gross motor impairment (clumsiness, poor coordination, bad handwriting, etc)

- Cognitive delay or slow processing speed. Inability to process information as fast as peers, which makes participation in conversations difficult because they can't keep up with the    conversation. Introverts without AS don't experience this.

- difficulties maintaining concentration or attention.

- Intense interests on which they can sustain focus for a long time.

- Difficulties recognising and controling emotion, becomes overloaded easily and reach meltdown faster.

- Different way of thinking: more intense, linear and detail orientated.

- Difficulties with non-verbal communication: finds it hard to recognise or pick up on facial expression, moods and body language.

- Is not aware of the social funcion of verbal communication, especially in childhood, and uses speech as a means of exchanging information rather than for social communication

So actually, AS is quite a lot more than being just a bit shy or introverted.

221BTardisMockingJay

Being Introverted basically means that when in social situations ( especially in large groups) that Introverts loose energy. Because of this they are usually choosey about who they spend time with, or after an actively, they'll need to recharge their batteries, they also usually prefer deep and/or meaningful conversations (usually one on one) or things that they can do alone. Instead of having lots of people over, they will only invite one or two friends that know they know well. They also tend to dislike small talk.

Chibiidol

I think a big difference is that introverts know exactly what to do in social situations and have good social skills. They simply dont need as much socializing and it uses up their energy so they are seen by themselves at a higher frequency than NTs. People think they are shy but they just need more alone time.

My crush was an introvert and i used to think they were shy which i can relate to so i would always go up and strike up a conversation. Turns out they just needed alone time. My bad >.>

Theres alot more to an introvert. But basically they are an NT with usually higher than average intelligence who can socialize, and often enjoys socializing, but after a while gets exhausted and needs to recharge by being alone and doing solitary things like reading or programming. 

I think an article i read said the reason why is because their neural pathways were shorter. As a result they dont need as much stimulation to get satisfaction as an NT.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.