L Lawliet

Highly Sensitive to Upsetting Animal Stories

L Lawliet

So I just read something on the news about animal cruelty. I'm not putting it up because I don't want to talk about it.

My point is that I am VERY sensitive to stories of animals being hurt/abused. I know people get upset about it, but I literally can't forget them. I immediately start crying. It actually physically hurts me like that painful empty feeling you get when you've lost someone and I want to throw up.

I can't watch movies of animals being hurt or abused either.

I actually can't forget them once I've read/seen them. It's like the thoughts literally bore into my mind and my heart and it's such an overwhelming feeling. I still remember a story I was told when I was a child and I remember every word that was said about it 20 years later.

When I worked with animals I thankfully never saw many cases of actual animal abuse. I think I put on this work attitude and I am able to distance myself from my sensitive feelings so I can actually help the animals when it was a job. It just seems to be when someone tells me or when I read/see it that I'm worse. Maybe my imagination just runs a bit wild?

Please, PLEASE DON'T put up any actual stories as examples or anything because it will really upset me. I considered not putting up this thread for that reason but I wondered if anyone else felt this way and if sensitivity to things like this are an Aspie trait or not.

Please be vague, I don't want to know actual stories, just if people feel the same way as me...

Thanks in advance for respecting my feelings :) (I don't mean to be a pain! lol)

Edited by StarGazingWithU

Kuribo [old account]

I think I know what story you're talking about. I heard it about an hour ago. How anyone could do such a thing is beyond me.

I'm not really affected to the extent that you are, but I find animal cruelty highly disturbing too. I mostly feel anger, rather than sadness when I hear things like this.

L Lawliet

I think I know what story you're talking about. I heard it about an hour ago. How anyone could do such a thing is beyond me.

I'm not really affected to the extent that you are, but I find animal cruelty highly disturbing too. I mostly feel anger, rather than sadness when I hear things like this.

It's horrible. Maybe I feel anger too and hence why I feel sadness at such an overwhelming level :(

Nesf

I can't bear to hear stories about cruelty to animals. I once watched a shocking documentary about the various ways people abuse animals and it haunts me to this day.

I don't get upset about abused animals (although it is wrong) I think there are a lot of animals that should just be put down because they are no use to us anymore and are taking up money and resources that could be used for humans. A paralysed dogdoes not have a quality of life so what is the point?

I do get upset though when perfectly healthy animals get put down. Eg. One certain giraffe. I cried for hours at the injustice and I am not even an 'animaly' person.

iggy

Things like this bother me a lot too. Rather than getting upset I feel angry (it's actually one of the few things which will actually anger me), and I feel sick. For some reason the same type of thing about humans doesn't bother me anywhere near as much.

A paralysed dogdoes not have a quality of life so what is the point?

I agree here too, I don't agree with people keeping animals alive selfishly when the animals are suffering a lot. If people won't make that decision then they shouldn't really have pets in the first place.

Chlillis

I read something like this today, so I suspect I know what story you are talking about but it disturbs me to think there are people out there capable of being like this, I have a pet and love her, to think anyone would hurt her worries me. I just can not understand people who do this and feel the need to resort to this

Pinky and his brain

So I just read something on the news about animal cruelty. I'm not putting it up because I don't want to talk about it.

My point is that I am VERY sensitive to stories of animals being hurt/abused. I know people get upset about it, but I literally can't forget them. I immediately start crying. It actually physically hurts me like that painful empty feeling you get when you've lost someone and I want to throw up.

I can't watch movies of animals being hurt or abused either.

I actually can't forget them once I've read/seen them. It's like the thoughts literally bore into my mind and my heart and it's such an overwhelming feeling. I still remember a story I was told when I was a child and I remember every word that was said about it 20 years later.

When I worked with animals I thankfully never saw many cases of actual animal abuse. I think I put on this work attitude and I am able to distance myself from my sensitive feelings so I can actually help the animals when it was a job. It just seems to be when someone tells me or when I read/see it that I'm worse. Maybe my imagination just runs a bit wild?

Please, PLEASE DON'T put up any actual stories as examples or anything because it will really upset me. I considered not putting up this thread for that reason but I wondered if anyone else felt this way and if sensitivity to things like this are an Aspie trait or not.

Please be vague, I don't want to know actual stories, just if people feel the same way as me...

Thanks in advance for respecting my feelings :) (I don't mean to be a pain! lol)

You are not alone. It makes me completely furious when I see or hear about animals being mistreated. After calming down I get very sad, because I cannot do anything to prevent it from happening. I end up felling lost and hating mankind for what people are doing.

L Lawliet

I read something like this today, so I suspect I know what story you are talking about but it disturbs me to think there are people out there capable of being like this, I have a pet and love her, to think anyone would hurt her worries me. I just can not understand people who do this and feel the need to resort to this

I'm like that. I have to give my dog a massive big cuddle after hearing something like that. I love my dog :)

You are not alone. It makes me completely furious when I see or hear about animals being mistreated. After calming down I get very sad, because I cannot do anything to prevent it from happening. I end up felling lost and hating mankind for what people are doing.

I'm glad I'm not alone in this. I just don't understand how anyone can get to that point where they actually plan things to do to an animal. It's not even a blind rage situation, people actually plan really cruel things to do! I just can't wrap my head around it and it makes me so sad :(

Nesf

I'm glad I'm not alone in this. I just don't understand how anyone can get to that point where they actually plan things to do to an animal. It's not even a blind rage situation, people actually plan really cruel things to do! I just can't wrap my head around it and it makes me so sad :(

I'm at a loss to understand how a person can plan to inflict pain on another living being. I mean, why? What do they get out of it? What's going through their mind? Is it some sort of gruesome curiosity, or a feeling of power they crave? I can't relate to it and don't understand it at all.