Toran

Technology That Helps

Toran

I use my mobile as a diary and voice alarm to help with my limitations, other pieces of equipment do help as well along with coping mechanisms that I think up to get over the failings I have day today. I thought it would be a good topic to discuss we might all pick up some ideals which will benefit us and make life a bit easier.

Sofi

I use my mobile's alarm quite a lot to remind me to stop what I am doing if I need a certain amount of time to get ready to go out, otherwise I may get too involved in what I am doing like playing a game. I also have some timetable apps on my phone that say they are designed for people on the spectrum, you can create your own timetable for the day and tick off each activity once you have done it. I don't use that one as much anymore as I don't have enough to fill a timetable, but I sometimes use one as a step by step guide to an activity. 

There is also communication apps such as 'Tap to Talk' if you find saying certain things difficult. 

Toran
I use my mobile's alarm quite a lot to remind me to stop what I am doing if I need a certain amount of time to get ready to go out, otherwise I may get too involved in what I am doing like playing a game. I also have some timetable apps on my phone that say they are designed for people on the spectrum, you can create your own timetable for the day and tick off each activity once you have done it. I don't use that one as much anymore as I don't have enough to fill a timetable, but I sometimes use one as a step by step guide to an activity. 

There is also communication apps such as 'Tap to Talk' if you find saying certain things difficult. 

That would be of great use for me I didnt know such an app existed for doing your own timetable so you can tick them off as you go. That would be very useful indeed whats the app called id love to download that one it would be so useful to help me through the things I need to do. I could plan my day very easily and not over do things, im like you once im doing something time doesnt exist and if I didnt have an alarm id be latefor loads of appointments.

Sofi
That would be of great use for me I didnt know such an app existed for doing your own timetable so you can tick them off as you go. That would be very useful indeed whats the app called id love to download that one it would be so useful to help me through the things I need to do. I could plan my day very easily and not over do things, im like you once im doing something time doesnt exist and if I didnt have an alarm id be latefor loads of appointments.

There are several of these timetable apps. Some of the ones I have (I have an Android phone) are Tasuc Schedule, PhotoVoca, AutismXpress. If you search for autism or timetable in your app store, you will find a selection. Some are better than others.Some have pictures of the activity if they have it, such as 'get the bus,' 'have dinner', 'brush teeth'. Sometimes a picture is easier to quickly see what it is. If it doesn't have a picture for your activity, you can always just write your own, I often put in programmes that I plan to watch on TV. I used to put exact times of when I can play certain games as I used to be bad for playing them 24/7 and doing nothing else, which is obviously bad for health. 

i also had mini schedules for certain activities which have a lot of steps to them, such as having a bath. I tend to get distracted by little things and get off track of doing what I am meant to be doing so the schedules just reminds what to do next. I am a bit better with these sorts of things now, I am very used to these visual timetables as my school used them all the time, all day, every day. 

I hope you find useful apps, I will search for more and let you know if I find any more good ones.

FireWire

my fiance has to remind me about appointments and stuff, if we are going out she will keep reminding me to get ready, as i tend to sway off track and start doing something else. i did have a day to day planner and the reminders on my iphone, but i just keep forgetting to write in them. my mind is normally only set on one thing and that's my laptop.

Sofi
my fiance has to remind me about appointments and stuff, if we are going out she will keep reminding me to get ready, as i tend to sway off track and start doing something else. i did have a day to day planner and the reminders on my iphone, but i just keep forgetting to write in them. my mind is normally only set on one thing and that's my laptop.

My mind is mostly just focused on my computer too, I easily get too involved in it and time just goes by so fast then and I forget to do anything else. The thing is that I don't usually have anything else to remember to do.... that is the problem

FireWire
My mind is mostly just focused on my computer too, I easily get too involved in it and time just goes by so fast then and I forget to do anything else. The thing is that I don't usually have anything else to remember to do.... that is the problem

when i do have an appointment and i'm away from home, all i think about is getting home back to my laptop, it's like it's part of me and i can't be away from it for too long. but i never really have anything planned like appointment's so me and my laptop get to spend a lot of time together :)

Sofi
when i do have an appointment and i'm away from home, all i think about is getting home back to my laptop, it's like it's part of me and i can't be away from it for too long. but i never really have anything planned like appointment's so me and my laptop get to spend a lot of time together :)

Me too Chris, I spend most of my time with my laptop (i also have a desktop computer but it lags too much to play games, i often plug its VGA cable into my laptop and use the bigger lcd screen on my laptop) I am worried about my farm quests when I am out  :P  luckily I am really not out very much and not for very long at a time, only about an hour maximum. I used to worry about WoW when I played it whenever I went out, if I was going to be late for a planned raid and people got angry. Another reason why I don't play anymore. 

mary

I don't need a reminder to do things in the day etc, but I tend to use the calendars on my phone / email at work to remind me to do things.  Sometimes I'll put reminders on with alarms, and other times I'll just look at what is going to happen that week / day.

specialstar

I have an Iphone and A IPAD. I use my proloquo2go when i lose communication i also use it for when im travelling doing some work and also i use it to read books. I also have games and autism expression app to help me.I have a poem about technology