L Lawliet

Travel Sickness

L Lawliet

Any of you guys experience really bad travel sickness?

When I was a baby, my parents couldn't drive me any more than a few yards without me throwing up. I'm not that bad now, although just twenty minutes in a car can make me feel really ill.

I'm ok on motorways because it's one long straight road, but driving around towns and country roads make me worse because of all of the twists and turns in the road, not to mention the jerk of the gear change and breaking, starting, breaking and driving again.

Travel tablets don't work in the slightest. I've tried everything. The only thing that seems to help is my iPod because it take my focus away from the movement of the car. But it doesn't always work  :wacko: It also helps if I don't travel on an empty stomach, as long as I don't eat right before the journey. Such a small margin to get it right :P

spiderwoman0_2

I used to get bad travel sickness too and motorways are fab, whenever we went on holiday it was always round winding roads and I'd feel terrible for a day.  Like you I tried everything and in the end I found the only way to stop it was to go to sleep in the car.  Now whenever I'm in the car I fall asleep whether I want to or not....(no I'm not the one driving lol).

No I can't travel on an empty stomach either.

Edited by spiderwoman0_2

L Lawliet

I used to get bad travel sickness too and motorways are fab, whenever we went on holiday it was always round winding roads and I'd feel terrible for a day.  Like you I tried everything and in the end I found the only way to stop it was to go to sleep in the car.  Now whenever I'm in the car I fall asleep whether I want to or not....(no I'm not the one driving lol).

Yeah that's my other method too, trying to sleep through it.

Haha! Do you get ill when you drive? Everyone told me that I wouldn't get travel sick when I started driving, but I used to get ill in my driving lessons too! :P

spiderwoman0_2

I don't know, I never learnt to drive :)

Heather

Thankfully I haven't experienced travel sickness.  My younger sister seemed to have more troubles with this when we were younger.  My parents would buy ginger ale for her, especially, for the trips.  Or also crystallized ginger is good too, though a bit strong when you aren't used to it, but it's nice and sweet to counteract the strong flavour of ginger.  I know sometimes I can get dizzy if the scenery outside the window is going by too quick, but I usually have always focused on something away from the window on long trips.  :)

jenny.wren76

I get it, usually sleep if I'm a passenger or have to have the window down and sour candy or gum to chew on to help me with it. Drinking ginger tea helps me too with the nausea.  I don't get it if I'm driving though, so most times I prefer to be the driver.

Also all of my children have it, my oldest is better if she's in the front seat as a passenger and if I'm driving. If my husband drives everyone gets sick, I'm just way more gentle with the braking and turning and such than he is. My son has to have something to eat either right before or during the trip, and I always give the kids spearmint gum and that helps them too.

Edited by jenny.wren76

Nesf

Yes, I sometimes get travel sickness. The best way to avoid it is to look ahead and not to the side, sit in the front seat and not in the back, not try to read or play games, etc while travelling and take a tablet against travel sickness befroe setting off.

aspiesw

I can't sit in the back of car for a long time, I do tend to get car sick eventually. I'm ok if I'm driving, or if I'm in the passenger seat. Otherwise I love travelling :)

DominikaCupcake

My parents always thought that i had travel sickness, but the truth is that i just couldn't tolerate the smell of the car. Mostly seats and air fresheners (those trees). This smell makes me feel really bad. Now i am used to it, but i still don't like that smell.

Pinky and his brain

Any of you guys experience really bad travel sickness?

When I was a baby, my parents couldn't drive me any more than a few yards without me throwing up. I'm not that bad now, although just twenty minutes in a car can make me feel really ill.

I'm ok on motorways because it's one long straight road, but driving around towns and country roads make me worse because of all of the twists and turns in the road, not to mention the jerk of the gear change and breaking, starting, breaking and driving again.

Travel tablets don't work in the slightest. I've tried everything. The only thing that seems to help is my iPod because it take my focus away from the movement of the car. But it doesn't always work  :wacko: It also helps if I don't travel on an empty stomach, as long as I don't eat right before the journey. Such a small margin to get it right :P

Yes, I sometimes get travel sickness. The best way to avoid it is to look ahead and not to the side, sit in the front seat and not in the back, not try to read or play games, etc while travelling and take a tablet against travel sickness befroe setting off.

Like Nesf said, when you are driving, you have to look at the horizon and not down on the road. Many people get motion sickness because they stare at the road right in front of them. Next time you have to go somewhere, try to force yourself to look at the horizon far away. It usually helps a lot.

If you took driving lessons, then the instructor probably also told you to look ahead, and not directly down on the road. (at least he/she should have told you). People cannot drive safely if they stare at all the objects which are really close. Our brain cannot process information at that speed. If you look at the horizon, everything appears to be moving much slower.