DominikaCupcake

Do y'all get people who try to deny your condition or are in denial of the diagnosis. Despite them pointing out symptoms, telling you it's there, psychiatrist opinion, barrages of tests and questionnaires, clear examples and evidence Long before diagnosis, childhood diary entries read like dsm ASD symptoms, over lapping condition diagnosis or misdiagnosis, add, dyspraxia, social anxiety, adjustment disorder, seperation anxiety, depression. If all these tests and doctors and dsm are wrong then I am just wacky. Any ones family reject your disclosure?

My parents are in denial and don't want to believe that i have AS although i was diagnosed by a psychiatrist at the age of 12. They're pointing out my symptoms all the time, but they just tell me to stop acting this way and get a hold of myself because normal people don't act like that. They always wanted to do everything they can to make me into NT, but it never worked for me. I'm not like them. I'm not going to deny who i am and i am proud of being who i am and if AS is a part of me then i am proud of having it too.

Poppet

Do y'all get people who try to deny your condition or are in denial of the diagnosis. Despite them pointing out symptoms, telling you it's there, psychiatrist opinion, barrages of tests and questionnaires, clear examples and evidence Long before diagnosis, childhood diary entries read like dsm ASD symptoms, over lapping condition diagnosis or misdiagnosis, add, dyspraxia, social anxiety, adjustment disorder, seperation anxiety, depression. If all these tests and doctors and dsm are wrong then I am just wacky. Any ones family reject your disclosure?

You're pretty much describing my history with family and talking about these things. I've never been diagnosed for anything (never even gone to a therapist), but we have a history of mental illness in the extended family (suicides among other things), and it's plainly obvious that most of my immediate family suffers from anxiety and especially social anxiety, as well as depression (and other things at various times, eating disorder, self injury, etc etc) and yet every time I try to "get to the bottom of things" and put the pieces together, I feel like they try to back me into a corner or deny everything. It's the weirdest and most stupid thing... That's part of why I want to perfect how I tell them about AS, because I just know they're going to deny deny and tell me psychology is a made up field... I don't understand people, and these people are my family!! :S

PLUS, I majored in psychology, you would think that they would at least have a basic respect for the field, if nothing else than to not make me feel bad. But no... I think my sister kind of buys into therapy and the benefits, I don't know. They totally have a 1940s mind set about it, like it's some shameful hush hush thing and if you need therapy you better do it behind closed doors and not really talk about it.

My parents are in denial and don't want to believe that i have AS although i was diagnosed by a psychiatrist at the age of 12. They're pointing out my symptoms all the time, but they just tell me to stop acting this way and get a hold of myself because normal people don't act like that. They always wanted to do everything they can to make me into NT, but it never worked for me. I'm not like them. I'm not going to deny who i am and i am proud of being who i am and if AS is a part of me then i am proud of having it too.

That sucks. :/ I'm sorry.

It's funny because my fam has more in common with me and my "weirdness" than they want to admit. They still deny everything, despite relating to it! :S

Rocco

I wonder if some of these people believe we are more normal than them, thus our diagnosis may indicate they have equal or worse problems. This is just Wild Speculation. But what if...

Poppet

I wonder if some of these people believe we are more normal than them, thus our diagnosis may indicate they have equal or worse problems. This is just Wild Speculation. But what if...

Definitely could be. I've read a lot that many AS people don't have agreement or support from their families and friends because they just so happen to come from a family with AS traits/genetics and be attracted to other people like that. I guess depending on the severity of their issues (AS or otherwise) they might not even think you have anything worth fussing over! I know my dad tends to treat me with a "suck it up" sort of attitude. And my mom tends to be the "grin and bear it" type. Hmm. Good point Rocco!

Nesf

Definitely could be. I've read a lot that many AS people don't have agreement or support from their families and friends because they just so happen to come from a family with AS traits/genetics and be attracted to other people like that. I guess depending on the severity of their issues (AS or otherwise) they might not even think you have anything worth fussing over! I know my dad tends to treat me with a "suck it up" sort of attitude. And my mom tends to be the "grin and bear it" type. Hmm. Good point Rocco!

My dad's attitude was that I should stop thinking about things so much as "just do it", as if it were that easy!

Rocco

I am shocked to learn exactly how unsupportive my blood family is of my late diagnosis. Everyone seems to discredit, deny, and generally refuse to accept. Questions to find anyone else suspected on spectrum have not been received well at all. It is disheartening

:(

Oh well though, I was difficult for me to accept too, I don't judge them.

Meh

:/

Scott

I live with my grandparents, and at first both had little to no knowledge (and at times they both push my buttons in a way that suggests they do it on purpose) and while they aren't amazing with dealing with the issues I have now, they aren't terrible. The only problem is that my grandmother wishes for me to let the world know; she even wanted me to write it down in the application for my Wing Chun club. It's my business, if people ask, then I will mention it. On the odd occasion I will mention it in passing and let it go, but that's with people I'm comfortable with. My mother is really understanding, as is my dad and his side of the family; my mum's side (mostly aside from my mum herself) have sod all tact.

RiRi

I am shocked to learn exactly how unsupportive my blood family is of my late diagnosis. Everyone seems to discredit, deny, and generally refuse to accept. Questions to find anyone else suspected on spectrum have not been received well at all. It is disheartening

:(

Oh well though, I was difficult for me to accept too, I don't judge them.

Meh

:/

You seem to be handling the situation well. Just give it time. I'm not sure why people do this, but I think it's because they think it's something bad. 

Edited by Anna