Clockwork Crow

Maths

Clockwork Crow

hello  :)

i'm very interested in maths (and science) and i am currently doing my A-Level at college - i was wondering is any one else is doing these subjects and maybe we can post here about things in class we have truble with and help each other out? 

the one thing i can do is maths and science, and i'm proud of that fact. and i want to help people who struggle a little and also be able to ask/talk about things like this. ithere is another post for science, aswell as another thread in general descution more for asking questions about curiositys eg. how do magnets work? how can geckoes stay stuck to the walls?

so i'm looking forward to helping thost that struggle - those struggling with me and i hope that maye there are some university studants/graduates who can go in to great detail about some topics? :D

(i know not perticualy Aspie related but its friendly here and i feel i can talk here SO much easier than to people in my class)

mathslide.jpg

vcq14

I have always struggled with all things math...what at first appeared to be a talent for math (I even have a Math Olympiads trophy somwhere!) was actually my talent for spotting patterns...turns out I'm utter rubbish with anything involving numbers, although I love science and considered going into it at one point (I've taken A&P, biology, chemistry, and oceanography (I thought I wanted to be a marine biologist in high school). (Luckily when doing linguistics research, I have SPSS to help me with the number crunching!)

I know there are several physicists, engineers, etc. on Asperclick...maybe we should set up our own Aspie version of TED Talks on science / math topics  :P

Clockwork Crow

that sounds like a good idea to me :D

but the reason i posted this in education, work & employment is because i thought it would be good to help explain topice any of us get stuck on and want help to understand it, and so help our education

but it would definatly be a good idea to do something like 'TED talks some where, maybe a seprate thread? one with the right tags? :P but good idea! i look forwaed to reading/watching one from you :P

P.S. thanks for telling me about  TED talks!!!!

Edited by Clockwork Crow

riceandpants

Hi! :)

I'm glad that you posted this topic, I'm not sure whether you mean to aim your assistance at people who are just interested in maths in general or who need actually "tutoring" and help with school/college work but I'm in my first few weeks of university and I'm taking linear algebra (which is all about matrices) so if you're willing to help university students then I may be shooting some questions your way!

I really like maths and I'm pretty good at it but now that it's reaching a higher level I'm finding it more confusing, and I've discovered much to my disappointment that I really hate matrices; I find them tedious and generally just unpleasant to deal with. Do you have any knowledge in the area of matrices?

I'll also be doing science subjects next semester (I haven't selected which subjects those will be yet), so I'll probably be wanting help with those as well!

Saveyourscissors

I used to love maths, I wish I had taken it. I particularly enjoy algebra :)

Nesf

My skills in maths were always very uneven - I was very good at geometry but bad at algebra. I did manage a B at O Level, though, which I was very proud of at the time because my teachers weren't sure that I'd even pass :)

the strangest man

Nesf

How do you know what an O'level is, you don't look old enough :-)

Anyone else who wants help online feel free to drop me a line, probability & statistics is my real interest but I can help out with the basics if needed.

Nesf

Nesf

How do you know what an O'level is, you don't look old enough :-)

My year was the last one to take O Levels before GCSEs were introduced :P

I find maths really boring because there is no creativity and you have to do a set thing. Numbers are fascinating though and how they look to me just numbers, not maths.