Clockwork Crow

Maths

greenerthanyou

I find maths really boring because there is no creativity and you have to do a set thing. Numbers are fascinating though and how they look to me just numbers, not maths.

I don't know. I think there is a lot of creativity to mathematics, especially once you've got the basics down and can move onto the more complex stuff. I like playing with numbers. In fact, I think that math is inherently creative, depending on its use. 

a couple cool links:

http://visualizingmath.tumblr.com/

http://visualizingmath.tumblr.com/tagged/fractal

Luke

The 'Mathematics for the practical man' books are worth reading. There are five volumes (Arithmetic, Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry and Calculus). They're a little different to most mathematical study guides, or at least the ones I have encountered, but they'll bring a smile to your face! :)

Edited by Luke

awesomeliza

I absolutely love Maths. Speaking of Maths, I did the second part of the Intermediate Maths Challenge today for Year 9 and it was pretty challenging, but fun! I was allowed to keep the question paper, so if anyone wants to have a look at some of the questions, ask me and I'll post them. :P

Also, Algebra is my strongest topic in Maths. :

the strangest man

I absolutely love Maths. Speaking of Maths, I did the second part of the Intermediate Maths Challenge today for Year 9 and it was pretty challenging, but fun! I was allowed to keep the question paper, so if anyone wants to have a look at some of the questions, ask me and I'll post them. :P

Also, Algebra is my strongest topic in Maths. :

Ok then AWE,

Let's get cracking. First problem. Take an 8 by 8 chess board, cut out the top left square and the bottom right square from the board. Then take a set of tiles each of a size to cover two squares. Can you then cover the board without leaving any square uncovered using 31 tiles?

The have a look at http://nrich.maths.org/secondary-lower

dandelion

I'm having problems about understanding the problems. So I just had gooooooood luck at the last test.

Now we are learning "Shear" ( don't know if it's written like that... its after "tension and compression"... Loooove it).

Pinky and his brain

I'm completely rubbish at maths. :lol:

I did take a technical education involving a lot of maths, and I did get quite good grades. But that's not because I understood what I was doing, it's only because I found ways to solve problems without understanding them.

I simply started to memorize how to solve an equation depending on how it looks. If an equation looks like this, then you have to do this, this, this and that and then you have your result. And I passed all exams doing it that way.

That only shows how inadequate the whole school/exam system is. Because people can get an education without understanding what they were taught. But whatever, I don't use that education anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

My brain is just not wired for maths. I have a visual mind, and I cannot visualize maths. It just won't work. :unsure:

Tonzofun

Me and Math is like fire and ice.

Too much numbers. (x,y, this equals this, blah blah blah) Very complicated and hard.

TheWizardofCalculus

I am doing a PhD in theoretical physics, and I have roughly (very roughly) about the equivalent of a masters in mathematics.

Jale

I find maths really boring because there is no creativity and you have to do a set thing. Numbers are fascinating though and how they look to me just numbers, not maths.

Me and Math is like fire and ice.

Too much numbers. (x,y, this equals this, blah blah blah) Very complicated and hard.

Math is just one way of expressing yourself and just one way of solving a problem. And it has been accepted by the humans as a global syntax for problem solving.

Its just like let's agree that math will be our language so to speak.

You could learn maths very fast, faster than in school like with speed of light, the key part lies how do you learn it.

I would suggest visual and auditive way, it would increase your learning rate.

They key is: make it be exciting, because what excites you the most is the thing that you'll learn the fastest

Because you don't need to focus on exciting things, you are automatically, already focused on it.

So just find which of the topics in math are the most exciting for ryou to explore and just start from there and if something that is more exciting than that comes up then follow that