Clockwork Crow

Maths

Xenolith

I'm absolutely obsessed with fractals and complexity. I just think they're the most amazing things. It boggles my mind how infinitely complex shapes can be created from incredibly simple algorithms. For example, if we have the iteration Zn+1 = Zn2+c where c is a complex number, and you map points for c on the complex plane where this iteration is bounded in one colour and points where the iteration is unbounded (i.e. tends to +ve/-ve infinity) with another colour, you get this stunning fractal which has infinite complexity:

640px-Mandel_zoom_00_mandelbrot_set.jpg

Isn't it just amazing that this is generated by that tiny little iteration?

Edited by Chlorophile

Nesf

Does anyone have any experience with Khan Academy?

I tried it out to refresh my maths skills and just for fun, but I'm stuck at pre-algebra at 96% and can't make any progress because I can't master the final 3 skills involving simplifying equations. I can't simplify complicated equations at all. Many Aspies are good at maths and particulary algebra, but I suck - *sigh* I don't get how I can be good at geometry and sciences but suck at algebra, good at learning foreign languages but suck at interpreting poetry and literature, so many contradictions. My brain seems to be wired really weirdly, even for an Aspie. And these areas of inability mixed in with areas of ability stop me becoming really good in one field and making progress. At school, I loved the sciences, especially physics and did well at GCSE level, but I didn't take them at A level or beyond because of not being able to do the higher maths and algebra required at that level. It's very frustrating.

M A R K

Its been many years so this might be nonsense and tbh i just fancied a go anyway :P

Break them down into sub equations, you probably already read them like this anyway. 

(2+8) -6 * (12/2) = 24

When i see this sum, i see 10-6 * 6  = 24, which then gets broken down to 4*6 in my head so i can do the sum quickly mentally. In algebra, i would just keep the value of x,y z or whatever in mind whilst calculating. 

Nesf

Its been many years so this might be nonsense and tbh i just fancied a go anyway :P

Break them down into sub equations, you probably already read them like this anyway. 

(2+8) -6 * (12/2) = 24

When i see this sum, i see 10-6 * 6  = 24, which then gets broken down to 4*6 in my head so i can do the sum quickly mentally. In algebra, i would just keep the value of x,y z or whatever in mind whilst calculating. 

Thanks, but it wasn't asking me to solve equations, but simplify them. The skill is entitled:

Simplify numerical radical expressions with multiple terms

Practice simplifying expressions with multiple radical terms combined by addition, subtraction, multiplication, and/or division.

I can't post the question because the forum doesn't supposrt the forums it just comes out as code.

This is the video that comes with it

Edited by Nesf

M A R K

Thanks, but it wasn't asking me to solve equations, but simplify them. The skill is entitled:

Practice simplifying expressions with multiple radical terms combined by addition, subtraction, multiplication, and/or division.

Hehe that was my attempt at simplifying a simple equation formula :) 

I suppose I was just trying to say you've probably already got the smarts and are better at doing it in your head rather than on paper.

RiRi

I can't post the question because the forum doesn't supposrt the forums it just comes out as code.

This is the video that comes with it

I don't have any experience with Khan Academy, but can you post the question by taking a screen shot of the question? I think I might be able to simplify it. I'm watching the video now.

Nesf

I don't have any experience with Khan Academy, but can you post the question by taking a screen shot of the question? I think I might be able to simplify it. I'm watching the video now.

post-128-0-94160100-1443079807_thumb.png

The text says:

Simplify the expression by removing all factors that are perfect squares from inside the radicals, and combine the terms.

If the expression cannot be simplified, enter it as given.

Edited by Nesf

RiRi

I'm not on my computer, but from first glance I can see that radical 75 has a perfect square within it which is 25. So you could expand 75 to 25*3 (25 times 3). From there you could take out the 5 (since square root of 25 is 5) and leave the 3 inside. There's another perfect square in radical 27. You could expand it to 9*3. Take out the 3 (since square root of 9 is 3) and leave the 3 inside. Now you would have 3*5 which would be 15 radical 3 minus ......

RiRi

Wait...the answer is 0. Edit: I'll have to come back to this later.

Edit2: I would plug in 0 since that's the answer.

Edited by Anna