Clockwork Crow

Maths

RiRi

^ that is interesting. I had never thought of math as a language.

Nesf, the answer in simplest form to the problem you posted is 0.

Edit:

Edit2: I wasn't sure if you're supposed to write the radicals as square root of 25*3 or as square root of 25 * square root of 3, but in this case I wrote it as the latter to emphasize the perfect squares.

Edited by Anna

Nesf

The correct answer is indeed 0 :D

Anna/Makelets, thank you for solving it for me. How did you make that picture?

RiRi

Awesome. :D

No problem. :) Glad I could help. :) You can do it using any drawing program, such as paint, but I did it with this free program which you can download from online, it's called Gimp.

Nesf

I've just realised that there are a whole load of videos that you are supposed to watch before trying to solve those problems, and the reason that I'm not getting it is because I didn't watch those videos first. It's like I skipped past several stages... ok, time to watch the videos.

RiRi

That's good that you realized that you had skipped some videos. The problem did seem somewhat different than what the video is explaining. The video is explaining how to rationalize the denominator, but the instructions in the problem say to simplify by factoring out the perfect squares and then combining like terms.

SeanS

Does anyone have any experience with Khan Academy?

I have experience with Khan Academy :) In fact I cracked 1,000,000 points yesterday. As I was reading through this thread I was thinking I would post a link to it as it is a very useful tool for learning maths (It's also useful for learning about economics and finance).

I really like maths, especially statistics. When I was at uni I did lots of private tutoring in various statistics subjects. I also taught a crash course in high school maths and was tutor for a statistics class. So if anyone here has trouble with maths stuff I'd be happy to help.

If you're interested in learning about binary maths check this out  http://forums.cisco.com/CertCom/game/binary_game_page.htm

Nesf

I have experience with Khan Academy :) In fact I cracked 1,000,000 points yesterday. As I was reading through this thread I was thinking I would post a link to it as it is a very useful tool for learning maths (It's also useful for learning about economics and finance).

I really like maths, especially statistics. When I was at uni I did lots of private tutoring in various statistics subjects. I also taught a crash course in high school maths and was tutor for a statistics class. So if anyone here has trouble with maths stuff I'd be happy to help.

If you're interested in learning about binary maths check this out  http://forums.cisco.com/CertCom/game/binary_game_page.htm

Thanks for your offer, but I'm really struggling with the algebra and have just about given up on it. I think that my brain is just not made for maths.

1,000,000 points in one day is impressive! :)

SeanS

Thanks for your offer, but I'm really struggling with the algebra and have just about given up on it. I think that my brain is just not made for maths.

1,000,000 points in one day is impressive! :)

The best advice I can give you with the algebra is to leave it for a while and come back to it later. Maybe you could try doing some Geometry, Trigonometry or even Probability and Statistics. Don't expect to get these concepts all at once, it takes time for your mind to erect the intellectual scaffolding that is necessary to understand and work with such complex systems.

I didn't get 1,000,000 points in one day though, it's taken a couple of years to get there. I think I earned 15,000 - 20,000 points the day I got to 1,000,000.

Have you thought about doing 'All of math?' If you choose that subject Khan Academy will give you problems to work on from all of math, rather than just algebra. I've been working at it for a few months now and I'm 44% of the way through. I've attached a picture so you can see where in Khan Academy 'All of math' is located.

post-11512-0-00797800-1445249664_thumb.p

Nesf

The best advice I can give you with the algebra is to leave it for a while and come back to it later. Maybe you could try doing some Geometry, Trigonometry or even Probability and Statistics. Don't expect to get these concepts all at once, it takes time for your mind to erect the intellectual scaffolding that is necessary to understand and work with such complex systems.

I didn't get 1,000,000 points in one day though, it's taken a couple of years to get there. I think I earned 15,000 - 20,000 points the day I got to 1,000,000.

Have you thought about doing 'All of math?' If you choose that subject Khan Academy will give you problems to work on from all of math, rather than just algebra. I've been working at it for a few months now and I'm 44% of the way through. I've attached a picture so you can see where in Khan Academy 'All of math' is located.

I've been doing "all of math" and I'm up to 36%. I've been going at it for about 2 months and have 793,151 points. I started to run into some more difficult algebra questions, and that's what I'm getting stuck with. Geometry is comparatively easy and I'm better at it, but you need knowledge of algebra for that, too. The problem with the mastery challenges and doing the exercises they give me "in all of math" is that they tend to skip you past things, so I have gaps in my knowledge and can't do later exercises.  I think I should try some more geometry exercises. Also, I'm learning on my own and have no outside help.

SeanS

I've been doing "all of math" and I'm up to 36%. I've been going at it for about 2 months and have 793,151 points. I started to run into some more difficult algebra questions, and that's what I'm getting stuck with. Geometry is comparatively easy and I'm better at it, but you need knowledge of algebra for that, too. The problem with the mastery challenges and doing the exercises they give me "in all of math" is that they tend to skip you past things, so I have gaps in my knowledge and can't do later exercises.  I think I should try some more geometry exercises. Also, I'm learning on my own and have no outside help.

Ah... I can see how that would make things difficult. And I can say that I have run into the same problem. The way I've gotten past it is to just click on 'I haven't learnt this yet' or just closing the practise window and coming back to it (some of the skills I've skipped I haven't actually come back to yet). Watching the videos helps too as you pointed out above.

Another thing I've found helpful is to view the skill breakdown and fill in the gaps. If you look at the picture you'll see what I mean. Those squares that I've highlighted with the red rectangle are skills that I will work on next.

It's a bit OCD of me because when I first found that skills breakdown I saw all these gaps and it bothered me. I've slowly been 'smoothing' it out, but looking at it still annoys me a bit because of all those gaps. But at least the first four lines are complete and this compulsion has also been useful in filling the gaps in my knowledge.

One other thing. Are you writing the problems down? When I'm learning a new skill I usually write down the first few exercises I do. I try to work towards being able to do them in my head, but I find writing the problem out step by step helps to visualise it and also to see each of the individual puzzle pieces.

post-11512-0-13762900-1445253244_thumb.p