Clockwork Crow

Maths

Nesf

Ah... I can see how that would make things difficult. And I can say that I have run into the same problem. The way I've gotten past it is to just click on 'I haven't learnt this yet' or just closing the practise window and coming back to it (some of the skills I've skipped I haven't actually come back to yet). Watching the videos helps too as you pointed out above.

Another thing I've found helpful is to view the skill breakdown and fill in the gaps. If you look at the picture you'll see what I mean. Those squares that I've highlighted with the red rectangle are skills that I will work on next.

It's a bit OCD of me because when I first found that skills breakdown I saw all these gaps and it bothered me. I've slowly been 'smoothing' it out, but looking at it still annoys me a bit because of all those gaps. But at least the first four lines are complete and this compulsion has also been useful in filling the gaps in my knowledge.

One other thing. Are you writing the problems down? When I'm learning a new skill I usually write down the first few exercises I do. I try to work towards being able to do them in my head, but I find writing the problem out step by step helps to visualise it and also to see each of the individual puzzle pieces.

Thanks :) I hadn't found the skills breakdown. I have a thing about wanting to watch all the videos before I do the practice sessions to make sure I haven't missed anything. I also don't like having gaps. I also write down ones that I got wrong and try to understand why it was wrong. I also look for patterns in the questions and correct answers, and use solved problems as a model for how to do a similar problem. I feel that I've made some progress, but maths doesn't come naturally to me.

SeanS

Thanks :) I hadn't found the skills breakdown. I have a thing about wanting to watch all the videos before I do the practice sessions to make sure I haven't missed anything. I also don't like having gaps. I also write down ones that I got wrong and try to understand why it was wrong. I also look for patterns in the questions and correct answers, and use solved problems as a model for how to do a similar problem. I feel that I've made some progress, but maths doesn't come naturally to me.

It sounds like you're on the right track. You're doing all the right things. I'm sure you'll get it eventually.

M A R K

Is there a good place online I can strengthen. My maths skills?

I didn't even get the gcse.

Luke

Is there a good place online I can strengthen. My maths skills?

I didn't even get the gcse.

Khan Academy. 

Dr-David-Banner

I'm not sure there is such a thing as being good at one thing and bad at another. What it means is some things come more easily and other things need much more work.

For me, music comes very easily. I don't have to work hard at it - just enjoy myself. However, maths makes my brain "frazzle". I have to push through till my head feels like it's exploding but in time things clear up. I also struggled a lot with mechanical skills which is why I couldn't drive a car but now realise I could drive if I had to but may have to practice more.

It's amazing how you can force your brain to develop in different directions if you force it to adapt. The main reason people feel they can't do a certain thing is teachers at school would have picked up on stuff and then enforced a negative conditioning.