Kuribo [old account]

Autistic Children and School PE

Kuribo [old account]

Forcing an Autistic person to participate in competitive sport is a form of discrimination and those who do this should be tried as criminals.

Thoughts?

Dingo

But then wouldn't it also be discrimination to force athletes to take math?

Apologies to all athletes who read this.

jenny.wren76

I agree that forcing students with sensory issues to participate in activities that trigger or exacerbate those issues is cruel and shouldn't be done.I think letting them do an activity that is considered exercise (taking a walk, swimming, whatever) that they can do without experiencing overwhelming sensory problems should be an acceptable replacement.

imleih

as an aspie, i hated pe, especially when we did team sports. i really enjoyed doing things like badminton because i didn't have to play in a team, rather just pair with one of my friends. interacting with people who aren't my friends is terrifying. 

but i also hated walking, swimming, running. like, i really hated it. not sure why, because everyone else enjoyed it. but there's many things that i absolutely hate that everyone else seems to like...

i was also deathly terrified of balls. lol.

this is why i never did pe after year 10.

Edited by imleiw

jcarenza10

Forcing an Autistic person to participate in competitive sport is a form of discrimination and those who do this should be tried as criminals.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't really consider Physical Education to be a competitive sport because you aren't really exerting yourself very hard. As a former student athlete (Burnt Hills Rowing Alumni) I can honestly say that they are on two completely different levels. I would add that if you were having a really hard time in gym class (hyper ventilating/gasping for air) then regular exercise would be a good thing for you. IDK you don't have to agree but that's my 0.02 cents. 

Boobookittyfrag

It's not like they are forcing that person alone to do it - everyone has to do PE in school.

That being said - I argued my case when I was at school in 5th and 6th year that I exercised enough outwith school, and that I needed that time to study instead of wasting an hour a week for a subject I wasn't studying for a qualification. Won :)

If they are making you do PE Kuribo, put together an argument (logical, and rational over all), putting the points about sensory over stimulation and even use my stuff if you like and ask to see your year head - might work, might not but it's worth a go :)

I think everyone should be forced to do exercise but this doesn't have to be competitive sport.

Nesf

I was lucky in that my school was excellent for sports and in the latter years we were given a choice of a mixture of sports, both team sports and individual sports. We were given the opportunity to try out new ones, too, so I tried fencing and rock climbing. Rock climbing was the one I liked the best, and I went to an after school club for it. I have always liked swimming and cycling, too. I never liked team sports and preferred ones like tennis, badminton, squash or athletics. I detested netball, hockey was a bit better because we were on a big pitch and I could stand at some distance from the other players and only interact when the ball came my direction.

In my opinion all students, whatever their ablilities, should do some pysical exercise to stay healthy and physically fit, but they should be given a choice of activities and not forced into any one particular activity. I know that this is hard for schools to organise due to staffing problems, but it can be done if, say, three or four classes have PE together and they engage volunteer staff or collaborate with a local sports centre as my school did.

Kuribo [old account]

I don't have time to reply in full, but what Nesf and Wren are suggesting is basically what I'd like to be the case for every Autistic person.

Just a note, this thread isn't about me or my experiences, it's purely about the issue raised in he OP.

Kuribo [old account]

I wouldn't really consider Physical Education to be a competitive sport because you aren't really exerting yourself very hard. As a former student athlete (Burnt Hills Rowing Alumni) I can honestly say that they are on two completely different levels. I would add that if you were having a really hard time in gym class (hyper ventilating/gasping for air) then regular exercise would be a good thing for you. IDK you don't have to agree but that's my 0.02 cents.

If one is playing football or any other sport in which the aim is to win against an opposing team, one is playing a competitive sport. Whether or not you agree with this definition is irrelevant.

Considering that this is an Autism forum, it should be completely obvious that my objections have nothing whatsoever to do with physical endurance.

To force a person with coordination difficulties to participate in a competitive sport which relies on players having good coordination is to discriminate against them for their disability, and is therefore a practice which should be outlawed. It is important to encourage physical activity from a young age, but when said physical activity becomes a source of humiliation, social exclusion, bullying, and resulting low self-esteem, it becomes a very serious problem.

I can endure an average amount physically. These days, I cycle regularly, amongst other things, but I had a negative attitude to physical activity for many years due to my experiences with competitive team sports at school, and an overwhelming number of Aspies have reported similar experiences.