Nesf

Hoarding

Nesf

Does anyone here hoard stuff? Ever since buying it my house has slowly but surely filled up with junk, useless items which were either presents, clothes we no longer wear and haven't wanted to throw away, cardboard boxes from electrical appliences whose guarantee has long since expired or broken appliances which have been replaced but not thrown away.  The amount of junk is unbelievable. It's chaos! Very little is mine. My husband is a compulsive collector and hoarder and can't throw things away. I'm more of a collector than a hoarder, (they are not the same thing) and collect specific things linked to my special interests such as CDs or books. But he hoards just about anything!

The upshot is that the house is very chaotic and despite the fact that I'm not always a super neat and tidy person, it's starting to really get on my nerves. I feel I need to have a massive chuckout so we only have things we need or use, and put those fewer things in some sort of order. I can't cope with such a big house with so many things in it. This has long been an issue, time to do something about it. And yet, this isn't as easy as it sounds as it is hard to judge the potential usefulness of an item and I'm reluctant to discard it.

jenny.wren76

We move rather often, which sucks! But it means we have to weed out stuff every few years at least. Right now we need to get rid of LOTS of stuff, so I want to have a garage sale so we can get some money back for some of it but it stresses me out to think of the neighbors (I hate them) looking through our stuff. Strangers I don't mind as much, I don't want the people in this neighborhood knowing anything more about us than they already do. I don't trust them, I don't like them, and I want them to always leave us alone.

L Lawliet

I hoard sentimental items and stuff I think may be worth something one day. I rarely want to throw stuff out in case I need it later in life but to be honest, I hate the clutter. As I'm getting older I have been a lot more brutal with my stuff and now I throw something out every other month.

Ala

I do have a tendency to hoard, however I find I need to throw caution to the wind and get rid of stuff periodically. I have lived in a small apartment for many years so keeping more than what I need has the tendency to make my living environment unbearable.

My advice to myself when I clean my stuff out is if it's easily replaceable and I can not imagine myself it any time soon then throw it out or find someone to give it to.

You could put anything of value on ebay or give it to a charity.

King_oni

I don't hoard... I just don't have enough space, lol

All joking aside, the fact that I'm living at my parents house and pretty much live in a 9 by 12 meter bedroom (and thus have my computer, all hobby related things, my bed, and so on) crammed in a single room, makes it look like I'm hoarding a lot. Yet if I had a regular place to live (like an appartment) I couldn't even fill half of it.

While my room might be a bit messy at times, friends are always amazed how well I'm utilizing the space I have and how much I can actually store here without it being totally impossible to walk around in.

The attic in this house is a different deal altogether. That's full of "old" stuff. Boxes full of cd's, dvd's, toys from when I was a child... a lot of it is my parents though. I guess they do hoard a bit for sentimental value or so. I however, tend to sell off quite a lot of things if I don't have use for them. Though it's not like I don't save anything. Some stuff just gets saved because it's a bit clunky to have around right now. Example; I recently bought a small keyboard for my computer (like a music keyboard; it's 25 keys) I also own a 60 something key synthesizer, which doubles as a keyboard I can hook up to my computer. But the reason I bought the small one is because the big one just didn't utilize the space the way I wanted to. Thus the big one ended up on the attic for now. Quite sure that if I move out, I'll set it up again (provided I have space). Selling it would not be of use either, since 1. it won't give me a lot of money and 2. buying one again in a few years seems silly... it's just "stored" rather than hoarded though I suppose.

DominikaCupcake

I hoard a lot of useless things that i never use, but they're just there. I think that i will have to throw it all away one day

Nesf

I do have a tendency to hoard, however I find I need to throw caution to the wind and get rid of stuff periodically. I have lived in a small apartment for many years so keeping more than what I need has the tendency to make my living environment unbearable.

My advice to myself when I clean my stuff out is if it's easily replaceable and I can not imagine myself it any time soon then throw it out or find someone to give it to.

You could put anything of value on ebay or give it to a charity.

A lot of it is broken or scrap or very old such as jeans with holes in the knees which can't be sold on. I don't think I could sell any of it. I could give some of it to charity.

Anyway, time to tackle the clothes cupboard :)

Auletes

I find it's way easier to get rid of old things with a friend.

I don't know if you have a sort of close friend available but I find it very helpful when I have a real person in front of me telling that this or that really is useless and needs to be thrown away. And it's easier to tell the friend to execute the real act of throwing something away so I don't have to see all the items is a rubbish bag among other rubbish and feel sorry for them.

Edited by Auletes

Kuribo [old account]

I used to, but I only keep a few sentimental items now, as I value games consoles and computers more than other possessions. I have a lot of things I don't use anymore, but they're mostly there because I haven't had the time to get rid of them. I wouldn't feel bad if I did.

Nesf

I find it's way easier to get rid of old things with a friend.

I don't know if you have a sort of close friend available but I find it very helpful when I have a real person in front of me telling that this or that really is useless and needs to be thrown away. And it's easier to tell the friend to execute the real act of throwing something away so I don't have to see all the items is a rubbish bag among other rubbish and feel sorry for them.

No, I don't have any very close friends I could do that with, but I can recycle a lot of it, and give some away, and that helps to ease my conscience a bit and not feel sorry for it.

I used to, but I only keep a few sentimental items now, as I value games consoles and computers more than other possessions. I have a lot of things I don't use anymore, but they're mostly there because I haven't had the time to get rid of them. I wouldn't feel bad if I did.

Yes, there are a few items that I won't throw out for their sentimental value - the idea is also to tidy and organise things so there is more free space. I would never throw books or CDs out, or equipment which still works, even though I don't use it anymore. A lot of the electrical equipment is broken and useless, but can be recycled.