Willow

The Other Side: Living With Asperger Syndrome

Xenolith

I bought The Other Side yesterday and couldn't stop reading until I had finished - at 2AM. It's absolutely outstanding and has completely changed my perspectives on a number of things. I never realised how easy, in a way, my life has been in comparison with other Aspies, which certainly helps me to understand some of the people on this forum a bit better. I also always assumed that conforming to the education system - leaving school with a row of GCSEs and A Levels - was the only way to get any kind of success in life, but your book has shown how wrong I was. I'm also amazed that you actually managed to get through all of the challenged that were thrown at you, because I would never have been able to in a million years. Thanks a lot for writing it, you're doing a lot of people a massive service.

Edited by Chlorophile

Willow

I bought The Other Side yesterday and couldn't stop reading until I had finished - at 2AM. It's absolutely outstanding and has completely changed my perspectives on a number of things. I never realised how easy, in a way, my life has been in comparison with other Aspies, which certainly helps me to understand some of the people on this forum a bit better. I also always assumed that conforming to the education system - leaving school with a row of GCSEs and A Levels - was the only way to get any kind of success in life, but your book has shown how wrong I was. I'm also amazed that you actually managed to get through all of the challenged that were thrown at you, because I would never have been able to in a million years. Thanks a lot for writing it, you're doing a lot of people a massive service.

Wow, thank you! :D Really lovely comment to read, it means a lot to me.  :blush:  :autismawareness: 

Sofi

So far, I've only had the chance to have a quick look but I just wanted to say that I thought the Dedication was beautiful. Thank you for including it.

~~~

I like the dedication poem too :( :( Thank you. It's making me cry all over again. I wish it didn't have to be there, because I wish she was alive. :( 

I just downloaded the PDF for now

Edited by Sofi

Arthur

Have you thought about making it available in different languages. Then your not limited to just the English market.

Willow

Have you thought about making it available in different languages. Then your not limited to just the English market.

Doing it in different languages or as an audio book is going to be very costly, and it's already cleaned me out money wise haha. So for now, just English :(

Ben

It's making me cry all over again. I wish it didn't have to be there, because I wish she was alive. :( 

One day (hopefully soon) you'll read the dedication and smile as you look back on the wonderful memories you have of your mother. I know it's hard to see right now, but trust me, you're not forever doomed to a life of sorrow. Her memory will begin to strengthen you, and when it does, you'll realise that your mother is far from dead. She'll live on in you, in everything you accomplish.

Remember... Ben is NEVER wrong ;)  

Kuribo [old account]

My copy arrived this morning.

Thank you Willow. :)

Willow

My copy arrived this morning.

Thank you Willow. :)

Yay :D Did anyone else from the forum order one that arrived today? :D

bristlenose

I downloaded a sample on my kindle and there were a few issues with blank pages and layout but I think that is the kindle people's fault. The actual writing was impeccable.

Is it just the sample affected by formatting issues? I haven't bought the whole book yet but downloaded the Kindle sample, and its apperance on the device is much the same as the preview here. Seems to have gotten pretty messed up in the conversion - looks similar to what often happens when I convert a book from PDF to e-reader formats using Calibre.

Willow

As I understand it...(and I don't know for sure) you can read PDF's on the Kindle, so I would recommend getting the PDF, and I know that that's okay - I did that myself; Amazon converted it for Kindle, which I don't have a lot of control over.