Willow

The Other Side: Living With Asperger Syndrome

Tylermc

Hi willow I'm really enjoying reading the other side me and my mum both watch your videos on YouTube she is also on the forum when I'm done reading the other side my mum is going too read it oh by the way do you still have your Shawn the sheep toy I also like Wallace and grommet have a great weekend willow

Auletes

I'm not completely through yet. Whenever it's about love, I stop reading, an old habit of mine, as soon as a book gets romantic in the slightest way I get a bit put off by it. Even though I wouldn't call the book particularly romantic. It's not at all kitschy (right word?).

It feels not like the right thing to do to write something about a book you haven't finished yet, but I'm so excited that I have an urge to already tell something about it.

I can recommend it to every person who struggled in school. It shows in a very clear way why highly intelligent and motivated people fail to achieve the academic success that they actually should get. It's great to read to be not the only person with this problem.

My deepest respect to Willow that she managed to recall her story without being carried away by emotions.

And I particularly like some of the "wise advices" that are spread throughout the book, especially about the big issue diagnosis. To give some examples: Don't match all that's going wrong to Asperger's. Be open that you may have a different condition. Try to let the doctors make their job.

The book is easy to read, from what I can tell it's in a quite casual language, but in a very natural way. You don't get the impression someone is trying to write in a "cool" manner or want's to be in a particular "easy going" attitude.

I don't like the layout very much. Once, there's a dot missing (sorry, but I'm an Aspie;-) and I find all the 'd/'s starting on a fresh line a bit irritation.

Now I'm off to finish the book.

RiRi

This book has made me realize that the kind of books that I like reading are autobiographies (or maybe I just really liked Willow's book).

I recommend it to everyone. I've annotated the whole book from start to the page where I'm at. It's so colorful right now with lots of underlining and notes. I'm not finished yet, I have been trying to read it for a while now, but I've realized that, for me, reading it in breaks is much better. I'm able to sink in the information better and don't exhaust myself from reading. As much as I would like to learn and read about things, I do get tired of reading, never really liked reading. I take breaks whenever I feel like I can't keep going any longer.

I can relate to so much that has been written. Your book can evoke so many feelings. There was a point where I read it and couldn't help, but cry and other times where I couldn't help but smile. Then, things which I could relate to such as the driving, the teachers, how you felt about things. The interactive timeline was so helpful. I wasn't sure whether I should watch the whole thing first or watch chapter by chapter, but after many months of breaking from reading, I decided to watch everything. That made it so much better, as I was reading I was picturing everything.

Thank you Willow for writing this book and publishing it. I don't think I could ever do such a thing.

Edited by Anna

RiRi

Have you thought about making it available in different languages. Then your not limited to just the English market.

Doing it in different languages or as an audio book is going to be very costly, and it's already cleaned me out money wise haha. So for now, just English :(

WIllow, I've been thinking about this since last year (before I had even finished reading your book, even), but I think I've come to a decision. I'm willing to translate your book to Spanish for a very good per word price. You can be sure that I will do a good job on it. PM me if you're interested.