Sign in to follow this  
awesomeliza

Autism West Midlands Campaign

awesomeliza

I just thought that I might share this Autism West Midlands campaign that I find quite interesting. :)

I was on a bus a couple of days ago, going to school, and a banner caught my eye. The only word I could catch was "Autism". I was a little curious to know what it actually was, so today I was getting the bus home from the city centre and I saw it again whilst the bus was waiting at a red light. 

It was an Autism West Midlands campaign poster with the writing, "Autism is only a part of me" and a picture of a woman with Asperger's.

I've recently looked this up on the Autism West Midlands website and found all of the posters that they have made to help people understand autism a little better.

Here is the webpage containing the posters and also videos of every person in their campaign talking about their likes, dislikes and how autism affects them and then how it would help them if people were more autism aware:

http://www.autismwestmidlands.org.uk/aware/content/935565/the_campaign/

What do you think of this? I think it's rather good and useful. :)

(Also here's the actual poster that I saw near my house.)

dina.jpg

Edited by awesomeliza
  • Helpful 2

Nesf

It's excellent! I watched the videos and could relate to them a lot. It's a really good idea to have these various people speak in short videos and tell the public how autism affects them in their daily life, so that people will realise that autism doesn't just mean Rain Man :D

I also liked the fact that the focus is on adults on the spectrum who are often neglected by autism campaigns, which tend to focus on children, and they give a very positive message that having autism isn't all doom and gloom, people with autism have their difficulties, but can live happy fulfilling lives.

Edited by Nesf
  • Helpful 1

aspiesw

This probably isn't relevant at all. But in Longbridge - by the Sainsburys, there is a small shop called Autism West Midlands

• Helpful 1

awesomeliza

This probably isn't relevant at all. But in Longbridge - by the Sainsburys, there is a small shop called Autism West Midlands

Oh nice! :D

Autism West Midlands seem to be doing a lot! On Autism Awareness Day on 2nd April, the new Birmingham library will be turning blue for autism from 5pm, which I think is awesome. :D

Edited by awesomeliza

Kuribo [old account]

Oh nice! :D

Autism West Midlands seem to be doing a lot! On Autism Awareness Day on 2nd April, the new Birmingham library will be turning blue for autism from 5pm, which I think is awesome. :D

The posters seem like a good thing, but the "Light It Up Blue" campaign was founded by Autism Speaks, who are a harmful organisation. In my opinion, other organisations participating in any campaigns they started wrongfully sheds a positive light on them, which is harmful to the Autism community.

• Helpful 2

awesomeliza

The posters seem like a good thing, but the "Light It Up Blue" campaign was founded by Autism Speaks, who are a harmful organisation. In my opinion, other organisations participating in any campaigns they started wrongfully sheds a positive light on them, which is harmful to the Autism community.

Ah. Hadn't known that Autism Speaks started the whole "Light It Up Blue" campaign. Thanks for telling me. I don't support Autism Speaks either. 

• Helpful 1

awesomeliza

So, I was walking around the city centre in Birmingham today and I noticed they had a stall up for Autism West Midlands so I donated and bought a wrist band and I got a small sticker.

They sure are doing a lot of campaigning now! :D

Here are the things I got:

24do953.jpg

2r4spkh.jpg

incuj4.jpg

What do you guys think? :D

I also had a look at their information leaflets on Autism at their stall and they seem to be doing pretty good work.

• Helpful 2

awesomeliza

Oh yes, I've read about that. I'm not sure what to think of it though. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

ryanhendry94

I was thinking about that today, I actually wrote a blog post on it earlier, which is here;

http://whatsitliketolivewithautism.com/2014/03/31/light-it-up-blue-and-autism-speaks-my-thoughts/

To sum it up, I think we should be looking to collectively group ourselves, and put something forward on Light It Up Blue, explaining that, while we support the campaign, we do not support the organisation who came up with the idea. 

Many people aren't aware of why we specifically do not like Autism Speaks, I think we should collectively get together and explain it, let's use our voices together, and let them know that it's time for Autism Speaks to listen.

• Helpful 2

awesomeliza

I was thinking about that today, I actually wrote a blog post on it earlier, which is here;

http://whatsitliketolivewithautism.com/2014/03/31/light-it-up-blue-and-autism-speaks-my-thoughts/

To sum it up, I think we should be looking to collectively group ourselves, and put something forward on Light It Up Blue, explaining that, while we support the campaign, we do not support the organisation who came up with the idea. 

Many people aren't aware of why we specifically do not like Autism Speaks, I think we should collectively get together and explain it, let's use our voices together, and let them know that it's time for Autism Speaks to listen.

That's an excellent blog post on the matter! :D

• Helpful 1