spiderwoman0_2

I'm Sarah, Willow Hopes mother.

Whoknows
Hi, I'm Sarah, I have two children with Aspergers, so if there are any parents etc who would like to ask anything or just have a moan, then  feel free  :)

Well, since you want to. My parents already knew how I was, but they chose to keep it from me (like John and Martha Kent did with Clark about coming from Krypton). It really didn't bothered, since it barely changed a thing. All I knew was the same: I'm different.

People here feel some sort of relief when they're told their diagnosis, yet I find it strange with any reasoning. It's like their parents never noticed or anyone did. People that spent from 17 to 53 years waiting for their "light".

Is it really hard to realize one can't try to fit, when the simple fact of being different is a blessing in its way? What joy comes from knowing you're different, when you always knew?

Annaflower
Is it really hard to realize one can't try to fit, when the simple fact of being different is a blessing in its way? What joy comes from knowing you're different, when you always knew?

Maybe it helps to know that there are other people who are different in the same way as you?

Willow
Well, since you want to. My parents already knew how I was, but they chose to keep it from me (like John and Martha Kent did with Clark about coming from Krypton). It really didn't bothered, since it barely changed a thing. All I knew was the same: I'm different.

People here feel some sort of relief when they're told their diagnosis, yet I find it strange with any reasoning. It's like their parents never noticed or anyone did. People that spent from 17 to 53 years waiting for their "light".

For some of these people who have been waiting - Aspergers was not commonly known when they were younger - so yes they knew they were different, but may have been punishing themselves for not just dealing with it and being like everyone else; however, realizing there is a actual reason for their differences will be a great comfort.

spiderwoman0_2
Hi, I am Mum to a 13 year old Girl with undiagnosed Aspergers. We've had over 2 years now of waiting for the NHS to evaluate her and get some answers. Someone suggested to me that I have a look at Willow's blog and I have found it helps me understand more from my daughters perspective. I am so in awe of all Willow is achieving and how she is helping people like me and my daughter see the positive side of ASD. If anyone wants to chat or give me ideas of how to make my daughters life easier that would be great. Anna x

Hi Anna,  I think if you have a good relationship with your daughter then you will pick up on things that stress her out and it helps a lot if you have a good technique of calming her down,  I think I know most things that my two dislike or freak out over and as time goes by and the older they get, then they learn how to take control of their own emotions.  I've found that girls are better at control than boys, but that's only in my experience.  My son was a nightmare for a few years, he had so much anger in him, but now he's not half as bad.

Sarah

spiderwoman0_2

What age did they tell you, or did you work it out for yourself?

Annaflower

Thank you for your feedback Sarah.

I am starting to understand B's triggers. Some are more obvious than others. A lot of the time it's a culmination of many smaller things that then add up to an explosion! Quite often she will have been steadily wound up over her day at school and then come home and flip out at the smallest of things. I am learning to not take it personally!

Willow
Thank you for your feedback Sarah. I am starting to understand B's triggers. Some are more obvious than others. A lot of the time it's a culmination of many smaller things that then add up to an explosion! Quite often she will have been steadily wound up over her day at school and then come home and flip out at the smallest of things. I am learning to not take it personally!

hehe, you just described me about 5 years ago. It is exactly that - a build up of small things and the tiny thing that makes you snap is construed by those around you as an overreaction; when really it's just the tipping point of a huge pile of frustration.

Annaflower

When B gets home from school now, we sit down together and go over her day and talk through any problems she's had. She has also started to keep a diary of her moods throughout the day so she can see that even when one thing goes bad it doesn't mean the whole day is a bust and that she does have good days too.

Willow
When B gets home from school now, we sit down together and go over her day and talk through any problems she's had. She has also started to keep a diary of her moods throughout the day so she can see that even when one thing goes bad it doesn't mean the whole day is a bust and that she does have good days too.

Sounds like a good idea :) She's lucky to have you.