spiderwoman0_2

I'm Sarah, Willow Hopes mother.

spiderwoman0_2
When B gets home from school now, we sit down together and go over her day and talk through any problems she's had. She has also started to keep a diary of her moods throughout the day so she can see that even when one thing goes bad it doesn't mean the whole day is a bust and that she does have good days too.

That is a brilliant idea, wish I could have done that with Willow, I always ask my son if he had a good day and nine times out of ten he says he has.  I must admit it's been easier with my son because I knew what his problems were from the age of 2/3, he's now 13 :)

spiderwoman0_2
Thank you for your feedback Sarah. I am starting to understand B's triggers. Some are more obvious than others. A lot of the time it's a culmination of many smaller things that then add up to an explosion! Quite often she will have been steadily wound up over her day at school and then come home and flip out at the smallest of things. I am learning to not take it personally!

It is hard not to take it personally, I know I was upset a few times but kept telling myself she didn't really mean it :)

Toran

Hi Sarah

You have a fantastic talented daughter in willow you must be so proud of her. I think its harder for you if your young and diagnosed with asperger's because there are so many things in a childs life to deal with it and what it means it must be horrible. Ive no experience here but I think as an adult im better prepared to deal with this than I would have done as a child.My parents never spotted anything wrong with me but I always knew something wasnt right even when I didnt know what. Even now my mum wont except it she just says im me and theres nothing wrong its hard to except. Maybe now the condition is known in time it will be easier for everybody who is effected.

A part of me wonders if this will ever happen the other part is ever hopeful.

spiderwoman0_2
Hi Sarah You have a fantastic talented daughter in willow you must be so proud of her. I think its harder for you if your young and diagnosed with asperger's because there are so many things in a childs life to deal with it and what it means it must be horrible. Ive no experience here but I think as an adult im better prepared to deal with this than I would have done as a child.My parents never spotted anything wrong with me but I always knew something wasnt right even when I didnt know what. Even now my mum wont except it she just says im me and theres nothing wrong its hard to except. Maybe now the condition is known in time it will be easier for everybody who is effected. A part of me wonders if this will ever happen the other part is ever hopeful.

Thank you, I am very proud of her.  I didn't spot anything wrong with Willow but she knew something wasn't quite right and to be honest she might have been completely different if we'd known about her condition when she was small.  I'm not sure if it was a good or bad thing that we didn't know.  I think your mum finds it hard to except because in her eyes you are great just as you are and the aspergers is no bad thing.

Toran

No its not a bad thing and i have no regrets at all. Im happy with life nothings ever perfect but I wouldnt change a thing and from what I see here and on you tube willow has a good heart and loves to help people where ever she can. You brought her up perfectly you deserve credit too.

spiderwoman0_2
No its not a bad thing and i have no regrets at all. Im happy with life nothings ever perfect but I wouldnt change a thing and from what I see here and on you tube willow has a good heart and loves to help people where ever she can. You brought her up perfectly you deserve credit too.

Thank you x :D

Aspergirl

It seems very common for parents to feel guilt when their child is diagnosed later in life. My mum has said to me that she wish she knew I was struggling but I don't blame her at all. I felt different but couldn't verbalise it and was a very quiet, anxious child but had no way of communicating this. If I had I am sure my mum would have done everything she could have and I know she is trying to make up for it now by being there and listening to me. I am grateful for my upbringing and the fact that she listens to me now means everything. Willow is very lucky to have a fantastic mum also and I am grateful to have found this forum which she has kindly set up. I feel as if I have come 'home' xx

Aspergirl

I hope I have the strength to be as good a mum to my girls (one who also has AS and one who might be)

I think it is important to make every child feel they are special and bring something incredible to the world in their own way

spiderwoman0_2
I hope I have the strength to be as good a mum to my girls (one who also has AS and one who might be)

I think it is important to make every child feel they are special and bring something incredible to the world in their own way

Thank you Aspergirl :D I'm sure you'll have the strength to be a great mum, just stay calm and take one day at a time and to be honest I think sometimes it's good to push them out of their comfort zone, I think it makes them stronger and better at coping.

Toran
Thank you Aspergirl :D I'm sure you'll have the strength to be a great mum, just stay calm and take one day at a time and to be honest I think sometimes it's good to push them out of their comfort zone, I think it makes them stronger and better at coping.

Agree with that statement staying within what you think you can do only leads to frustration and ultimately the feeling of failure. It doesnt matter if you dont always get things right first time or the hundredth time the fact that you attempted it is whats important and even if things dont go right you have learned one more thing on the road to success.