Fireandshadows

Panic Attacks

Fireandshadows

So,I had a huge one this morning, for no particular reason I can think of. I was hyperventilating and crying and I didn't know when I was. Yes, I mean when. I didn't know when in my life I was, I felt like I was about 4 years younger, at a totally different stage in my life, but I was in my university accommodation, so I was really confused and freaking out even more. I had vivid dreams last night and couldn't figure out if they were real or just dreams. I felt completely unreal myself, as though I was about to wake up from a dream, which is a horrible feeling for me. Afterwards, I was shaking like a leaf for at least an hour afterwards, and i found walking almost physically impossible. It's like my brain short-circuits and movement becomes way more difficult and physically painful.

I guess I was just wondering if any of you have had similar experiences during panic attacks, or just what they're like for you in general.

Willow

I get like this when I have a panic attack - ie, the shaking and my movements seeming to be painful/difficult. The not knowing when you are is something I've had a few times, but not years out, just days or hours. And only when I was severely depressed/anxious at the time. So, when I was being bullied and was at home refusing to go to school etc. I think I almost 'blacked out' on a couple of occasions whilst having a panic attack, for maybe half an hour, or sometimes fell asleep for a few hours - which left me very confused. The worst one, which only happened once, was several months into a nervous breakdown - I'd been at home for a few months and barely left my house, let alone my bedroom - and in the middle of a panic attack in the early hours of the morning, I didn't know who or where I was, just for a couple of seconds. That was really, really scary. I didn't recognise my Mum, just for those few seconds.

Sofi

I experience panic attacks too, they are rare nowadays thankfully! I do understand what you mean about not knowing when in your life you are - nothing is rational during a panic attack. I have also had the feeling of not knowing where my body is and sort of watching myself like a movie rather than being myself. 

When I first had a panic attack, I didn't have a clue what was wrong but I knew SOMETHING was definitely not right but I couldn't identify it, I could just feel a feeling creeping up on me. I didn't even feel particularly anxious at the time but I hear this is often the case with panic attacks - they happen for no apparent reason. (In hindsight, I think I do know what might have caused it subconsciously) After that first panic attack, my school nurse and my mum thought it was an actual physical problem I was having with my heart so I had lots of tests in hospital, and sent home with 24 hour EEG monitors attached to me, which came back normal and only led to me now having a real phobia of anything medical on me! My doctor, in the end, did say it was just anxiety. 'Just anxiety'.. Okay then... 

A main symptom in panic attacks for me is - 'pins and needles' in my hands. Racing heart, dizziness, feeling weak, being sick in the end. I have had them in public places like on a bus, in the school taxi, at a train station - horrible.  

Willow
A main symptom in panic attacks for me is - 'pins and needles' in my hands. Racing heart, dizziness, feeling weak, being sick in the end. I have had them in public places like on a bus, in the school taxi, at a train station - horrible.  

This reminded me of a panic attack I had in a shopping mall once. I was sick in a main shopping area - not a store, just like the really big walkway areas with benches. No one noticed at all. My Mum had to try and clean it up, calm me down and keep an eye on my brother (also on the spectrum and 7 years younger than me) who was growing impatient with being there.

spiderwoman0_2
I get like this when I have a panic attack - ie, the shaking and my movements seeming to be painful/difficult. The not knowing when you are is something I've had a few times, but not years out, just days or hours. And only when I was severely depressed/anxious at the time. So, when I was being bullied and was at home refusing to go to school etc. I think I almost 'blacked out' on a couple of occasions whilst having a panic attack, for maybe half an hour, or sometimes fell asleep for a few hours - which left me very confused. The worst one, which only happened once, was several months into a nervous breakdown - I'd been at home for a few months and barely left my house, let alone my bedroom - and in the middle of a panic attack in the early hours of the morning, I didn't know who or where I was, just for a couple of seconds. That was really, really scary. I didn't recognise my Mum, just for those few seconds.

I remember that and a lot of sleepless nights and camping out in your bedroom.

Willow

You sleeping in my room only had to do with the fact that I got really afraid of my room when I though it was haunted :(

spiderwoman0_2
This reminded me of a panic attack I had in a shopping mall once. I was sick in a main shopping area - not a store, just like the really big walkway areas with benches. No one noticed at all. My Mum had to try and clean it up, calm me down and keep an eye on my brother (also on the spectrum and 7 years younger than me) who was growing impatient with being there.

That wasn't a good day, we went straight for the train after that.

spiderwoman0_2
You sleeping in my room only had to do with the fact that I got really afraid of my room when I though it was haunted :(

To be honest your room freaked the hell out of me and I was scared shitless :( but to be honest, I think Harrys old room was haunted too and I had a few weird things happen to me when I was in there.

Sofi

I have a brother who is 12 years younger than me, he's not autistic but I recognise traits in him but I doubt actually anything. I am probably just more aware. Anyway, that's not relevant to this. 

I understand what that is like :( I was sick onto the train tracks once after a panic attack then I had to sit on a busy train feeling so shaky. My mum was there though.

My mum has camped out in my bedroom too, not for any haunted reasons though, that sounds scary :( I was probably the only terror in the house - haha 

iggy

When I have a panic attack by vision seems to mirror (so looking back on my memories everything that should be left is right and vice versa). I don't have difficulty breathing but the same amount of air doesn't do the job it normally does. I also used to bolt away from wherever I was. Often results in a shutdown which I get within 24 hours. It's not too common anymore though, fortunately.