Fireandshadows

Panic Attacks

Sofi

i am feeling so panicked right now i feel like my breathing isn't working and my chest hurt and feels like it's on fire. i don;t want to have a panic attack right now i don't know if i am okay though. i shouldn't have went out today, I feel overwhlemed by it still i don't even know if i posting this in the right place, I am doing it wrong

spiderwoman0_2
i am feeling so panicked right now i feel like my breathing isn't working and my chest hurt and feels like it's on fire. i don;t want to have a panic attack right now i don't know if i am okay though. i shouldn't have went out today, I feel overwhlemed by it still i don't even know if i posting this in the right place, I am doing it wrong

Sweetie calm down, it's okay, you did well today going out with your mum, think of it as an acheivment and you managed it.  Your breathing is fine, you're just thinking about too much, have a sit down and put some nice music on that you really love and if that doesn't work go and have a chat with your mum to take your mind off things or put a dvd on, something that makes you laugh........you're gonna be fine :D

Arthur

Sofi did your doctor give you something for panic attacks? I have some Alprazolam 0.25mg just in case. please feel better soon, and take some deep breath and try lye down on the bed.

Toran
Sweetie calm down, it's okay, you did well today going out with your mum, think of it as an acheivment and you managed it.  Your breathing is fine, you're just thinking about too much, have a sit down and put some nice music on that you really love and if that doesn't work go and have a chat with your mum to take your mind off things or put a dvd on, something that makes you laugh........you're gonna be fine :D

Yes thats the best thing to do sofi, while its not nice you have achieved a great deal today so if you try these methods it will pass control your breathing and it will go quickly.

mary

Yes thats the best thing to do sofi, while its not nice you have achieved a great deal today so if you try these methods it will pass control your breathing and it will go quickly.

Sofi, I'm so sorry you're feeling this way :(  I agree with what spiderwoman says though and you made huge progress doing what you did the other day.  You need to try and relax and then you should find that your breathing will settle down. 

Is there anything you can put in place for when you feel this way?  Perhaps if you're at home do like we all talked about one time before in a thread, and draw your curtains, put some music on that you know makes you feel calm, and lie on your bed and close your eyes and try to relax.

If you're out how about having your music and earphones with you in case of times like this and make sure you have some of that music that relaxes you on your ipod (or whatever you use) and just sit or stand somewhere and try to keep calm.

Have you talked to your mum or doctor about how you feel?  Was there anything that triggered your panic attack today?

You are doing really well, and you need to keep telling yourself that!  Remember we talked about the possibility of moving forward, but maybe taking little steps back?  This is just a little step, not even a full step, back... you made a massive achievement doing what you did the other day while you were out shopping.  You might need to try and do things a little more slowly, but you'll learn as you go along.

I'm really hoping you're feeling better now than you were earlier :)

xx

Sofi

Thank you to these people. I am sorry, I shouldn't have posted anything on here, I don't want to draw attention to myself, but when I am in a panic, i do things recklessly without thinking it through properly. I am feeling a tiny bit better but I still feel my chest isn't breathing right and I feel nauseous and a bit exhausted. I haven't been able to eat any tea but maybe I will have something soon.

The reason was partly to do with I felt a bit overwhelmed from being out at a restaurant earlier, it was quite busy - I was fine at the time but sometimes I have a delayed response. Also someone was saying something to me via Facebook it was quite nasty and it was a bit upsetting and they kind of tried to make me look like a bad person. It is someone who doesn't understand me and what I am like. Apparently, I said something rude/insensitive but I had no idea it was and I think it upset them I feel alone. I don't feel like myself, I'm not doing anything that I normally do at this time of day and I don't feel like how I normally do. 

Thank you so much Willow's Mum  :)  I lay on the floor and shouted for my mum she told me I should ignore this person who said nasty things. She always says that I should ignore anyone who said anything bad to me. It still upset me though. She offered me tea but I don't feel like eating right now. I put my TV on which is a show I like. I hope I just feel like myself again soon. 

Sofi did your doctor give you something for panic attacks? I have some Alprazolam 0.25mg just in case. please feel better soon, and take some deep breath and try lye down on the bed.

Thank you Arthur :) No, I've never had medication for panic attacks. I only have some herbal remedies that I have taken in possibly stressful situations. I don't know if I should have medication, I don't panic very often. I don't think this wasn't a full panic attack, but bad feeling.

Sofi, I'm so sorry you're feeling this way :(  I agree with what spiderwoman says though and you made huge progress doing what you did the other day.  You need to try and relax and then you should find that your breathing will settle down. 

Is there anything you can put in place for when you feel this way?  Perhaps if you're at home do like we all talked about one time before in a thread, and draw your curtains, put some music on that you know makes you feel calm, and lie on your bed and close your eyes and try to relax.

If you're out how about having your music and earphones with you in case of times like this and make sure you have some of that music that relaxes you on your ipod (or whatever you use) and just sit or stand somewhere and try to keep calm.

Have you talked to your mum or doctor about how you feel?  Was there anything that triggered your panic attack today?

You are doing really well, and you need to keep telling yourself that!  Remember we talked about the possibility of moving forward, but maybe taking little steps back?  This is just a little step, not even a full step, back... you made a massive achievement doing what you did the other day while you were out shopping.  You might need to try and do things a little more slowly, but you'll learn as you go along.

I'm really hoping you're feeling better now than you were earlier :)

xx

Thank you very much for your kind words.

My mum does know how I feel when I panic - she acts calm about it. Full panic attacks are rare for me and I don't think this today was a full panic attack. I don't often go to the doctor but I have an autism support worker who is aware I am prone to panicking and panic attacks. 

You are right about maybe trying to do too much at once and taking a step back. I tend to find that with myself - sometimes I try to hard then end up feeling like this. Just someone said something quite nasty to me and I know it was because I was rude without knowing it.

I am sorry if none of this makes very good sense at the moment. I will maybe explain myself more later when I feel better. 

mary
Thank you to these people. I am sorry, I shouldn't have posted anything on here, I don't want to draw attention to myself, but when I am in a panic, i do things recklessly without thinking it through properly. I am feeling a tiny bit better but I still feel my chest isn't breathing right and I feel nauseous and a bit exhausted. I haven't been able to eat any tea but maybe I will have something soon.

The reason was partly to do with I felt a bit overwhelmed from being out at a restaurant earlier, it was quite busy - I was fine at the time but sometimes I have a delayed response. Also someone was saying something to me via Facebook it was quite nasty and it was a bit upsetting and they kind of tried to make me look like a bad person. It is someone who doesn't understand me and what I am like. Apparently, I said something rude/insensitive but I had no idea it was and I think it upset them I feel alone. I don't feel like myself, I'm not doing anything that I normally do at this time of day and I don't feel like how I normally do. 

My mum does know how I feel when I panic - she acts calm about it. Full panic attacks are rare for me and I don't think this today was a full panic attack. I don't often go to the doctor but I have an autism support worker who is aware I am prone to panicking and panic attacks. 

I am sorry if none of this makes very good sense at the moment. I will maybe explain myself more later when I feel better. 

Why shouldn't you have posted anything?  We're all here to help and support each other, and you felt like you needed to post about something and there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better... it must be quite scary for you with your breathing going like that?  Maybe you could try some different breathing techniques when that happens?  I know there are different ones people can try, like square breathing etc, not sure how they all work, but it might be something to look up.

Feeling overwhelmed is terrible isn't it!?  Not something that's easy to get used to sadly... I'm sure as you go along and make progress with things it will ease though I'm sure.  You really do need to keep telling yourself how well you are doing though and not be so tough on yourself when something like this happens.

I'm sorry to hear that somebody wasn't being very nice to you... do they know about your diagnosis?  Have you tried explaining to them why you might say or do the things you do?

Maybe you could ask your autism support worker about breathing techniques which might help when you have your panic attacks?  or for any more support they might be able to give you in relation to these?

Please don't feel that you can't post about this stuff though...

x

Sofi
Why shouldn't you have posted anything?  We're all here to help and support each other, and you felt like you needed to post about something and there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better... it must be quite scary for you with your breathing going like that?  Maybe you could try some different breathing techniques when that happens?  I know there are different ones people can try, like square breathing etc, not sure how they all work, but it might be something to look up.

Feeling overwhelmed is terrible isn't it!?  Not something that's easy to get used to sadly... I'm sure as you go along and make progress with things it will ease though I'm sure.  You really do need to keep telling yourself how well you are doing though and not be so tough on yourself when something like this happens.

I'm sorry to hear that somebody wasn't being very nice to you... do they know about your diagnosis?  Have you tried explaining to them why you might say or do the things you do?

Maybe you could ask your autism support worker about breathing techniques which might help when you have your panic attacks?  or for any more support they might be able to give you in relation to these?

Please don't feel that you can't post about this stuff though...

x

I don't like to draw attention to myself. I don't think I am a person of much worth. I feel apologetic for myself a lot. But, I truly appreciate anyone who would want to offer their help, which they have. Without this forum, I probably would have panicked even more. IS Love an okay word to use?

My chest/collar bone/shoulder/neck area is still painful and it often feels as if I have a heavy thing sitting on top of my chest, making it very difficult to breathe. I felt as if my breathing was making a wheezing noise as well, which just makes me panic even further. My vision starts to blur at the edges of my eyes too. I remember this one time, I was in the house on my own one evening in November 2011 and I had been panicking for a while so I thought to have a bath to relax a bit, but the bath made me panic even more because I was worried I'd drown as my body felt weak with panicking. I got out the bath and my vision started to blur completely and I couldn't see anything but I was trying to walk (stumble) to my bed and I must have fainted, as the next thing I knew I was lying on the hallway floor with my towel. It made it worse that I was home alone and I had to wait still a while for my mum to get back home :( That kind of thing now makes me panic about the possibility of panicking!!! 

I don't want to talk to this person who was not very nice to me again, even to explain about my diagnosis and I don't always like to say about autism. I just want to try to forget about it, but I reckon their words will probably be whirling around my head for a while. I am sorry I am insensitive, I wish I wasn't, it obviously causes me problems. I don't feel like myself right now. What a horrible person.... but they were saying I am horrible :( 

Yes - maybe I can talk to my support worker about any techniques for when I feel panicked. Often, she doesn't do too much - I thought it was just because I was coping okay. But, some days (like today) I don't cope very well. Lately, I haven't been sleeping well either and feeling extra irritated with noises. I feel as if I can't tolerate any noises within my house -  my mum closing the kitchen cupboards has been driving me insane lately, or anyone walking on the stairs. I just want some silence. 

I guess I have had some achievements lately as well though, including the shopping in Tesco and with owning up to making a hole in the wall. But, I suppose it is not always going to be so great because that is the reason I have autism and there are negatives and positives with it. I'm never going to always sociable and dealing with everything, even although I wish that. You are right that I should acknowledge my achievements more. I am quite tough on myself a lot. 

I will just try to feel better now. Maybe I will get something small to eat and watch a DVD series. I am not feeling like myself on a Monday, this is not how i feel on a Monday. Mondays usually go okay. I can't remember the last time I panicked on a Monday! 

spiderwoman0_2

I'm glad you're feeling a little better and I totally agree with your mum that you should ignore this person, they have no idea what kind of person you are and if they think you're horrible then they are jumping to the wrong conclusion.  I can tell you are not horrible at all just by the way you write.  Don't put yourself down, you're better than they are.  I know it's hard to let go of something that someones said, I'm the same and it can take me awhile to forget about it, in time you will learn to ignore it.

Maybe your shoulder/neck pain is because you've tensed up due to feeling anxious?

What dvd series did you end up watching?

mary

I'm sorry... I didn't mean to tell them now, I wondered if they knew about your diagnosis before this all happened.  I agree with spiderwoman and you sure seem like a nice person from the way you put yourself across on here :)