L Lawliet

Missing People

L Lawliet

I have issues with missing people.

If I lose someone permanently, either through break up or passing away, I miss them and it really hurts. But when I go on holiday or someone I know is working away, I don't miss them.

It sounds awful but I think it's because I don't understand why I would miss someone when I know they're coming back or that I will see them again later.

I went to Madagascar for five and a half weeks and I didn't miss my family. I feel really guilty because when people say "Do you miss me?" I'm always like "I do, very much", but it's not always true :(

Truth be told I'm too busy enjoying my own company to miss people. I'm going to see them soon, so why miss them? I'm always really happy when I see them because I love seeing them again, but at the time I don't feel it. I just get accustomed to people not being there.

Like I said, if it's a permanent loss, I feel it like a stab in the heart. Just not any other time...

Nesf

I don't miss people either in the emotional sense, but if they are a regular part of my life I'll mis them in the sense that they were a part of my routine, or played some role in my life, and I notice their absence.

DominikaCupcake

It depends. I miss some people and don't miss other. I miss my boyfriend and brother even if i don't see them for few days or weeks but i wouldn't miss some family members even if they would die. It may sound a little cruel, but i miss only those who i feel emotional connection to.

I'm not taking it easy when someone close to me is passing away. Last time i even needed psychiatric help because it was so traumatizing. I don't think i can survive losing someone else again.

Kuribo [old account]

It depends. I miss some people and don't miss other. I miss my boyfriend and brother even if i don't see them for few days or weeks but i wouldn't miss some family members even if they would die. It may sound a little cruel, but i miss only those who i feel emotional connection to.

I feel the same way. I don't care about the majority of my extended family because many of them have always avoided me just because of my diagnosis. I care more about friends than extended family.

Lemmington

I feel the same way. I don't care about the majority of my extended family because many of them have always avoided me just because of my diagnosis. I care more about friends than extended family.

That is exactly like my scenario, and I couldn't have worded it better myself.  ;)

Miss Chief

I don't miss people at all.

It bothers me a bit that I don't even get upset when people die, so far this has always been old people and so there is that knowledge that they are going to die at some point but if I'm honest I'm not sure if I would be upset if a younger person in my life died.

I mean I know that it is sad that they aren't here anymore but then they aren't in pain or whatever anymore either and I always feel like it is selfish to want them here for me.

I have never lost anyone closer than a grandparent though and I hope that I would feel more if I lost someone closer as I always feel guilty about not being upset by death stupid as it is to wish I was in pain.

Meh I'm going to shut up now...

Chibiidol

Yea i dont miss people either. The only person i ever missed was my crush when we went off to college. I dont miss my friends or anything. 

I remember one time in second grade i missed my friend when i moved away though.

I think the reason is i dont get close enough to people, or maybe im just used to being alone.

Honestly i dont think i would be that upset if my friend died. I would be sad for them that they arent alive to fufill their goals and enjoy the pleasure of life and probably even cry because of that.

But i wouldnt be sad for my self like "oh no i cant see them anymore"

The two people i think i would be truly sad for myself if they died is my mom and my sister.

Im really close to them so i think this proves my friendships are just too superficial for me to care : P

(well care isnt the right word, i care. But only because of their loss not mine)

Edited by Chibiidol

Xenolith

I don't miss people. I've never been away from home for more than a night but I don't really think I'd miss my family - any sadness would probably be because of insecurity and the pressure of responsibility. 

The one exception to this is my dog - I think it's very possible that I might miss her.

L Lawliet

Hmm...so possibly an Aspie trait then? I'm glad I'm not on my own with this. I've never liked this part of myself. I've never understood it.

My mum will get really upset if someone died and she had just met them. My mum is the complete opposite of me. She has so much empathy for other people. I admire it about her, but I have never understood it, probably because I struggle with the concept of empathy.

Mine definitely refers to permanent loss. It's an odd feeling.

Nintendo2

Your not the only one StargazingWith U I struggle with empathy as well. I'm trying to do better though by imagining myself in other's people's shoes.