Willow

Ordering/Paying for Food in a Restaurant

Willow

It’s not often that me and Chris venture into an actual restaurant, let alone an expensive one – so I always have a sense of dread wash over me when we have decided to eat somewhere nice, and the bill has arrived: what do I do?

I mean, obviously, I know I have to pay – but I just don’t know how to. Do I wait like an idiot until the waitress decides to come back to our table? Do I leave the money and walk out? Do I venture up to where there appears to be a till? I just don’t know. And it’s different everywhere. Whilst we may get used to leaving the money and walking out in one place, it might be unacceptable to do that somewhere else.

Does anyone else have this issue/know what to do?

Ben

I just say 'I'll be back in a minute, just nipping to the cash point' That's the last they see of me. 

Seriously though, i just tend to look at the waiter, and hope he takes the hint. If he doesn't i just call him over, and say, i'm ready for the bill now thank you. They usually come over with a little dish, if you have correct change great, if your paying with a big note or card, you have to wait for them to come back. 

Some places charge a service fee, so watch out. I've been caught a few times, me and a group of mates went to london the other week, and we all got charged £5 each for service. 

Even though it was an all you can eat buffet......... 

LukeSmith

I always pay by card to avoid this issue, so the waiter has to come back with the chip and pin machine for me to pay :)

specialstar

i just put my hand up ask for the bill. I then give her the money and go 

FireWire

I can't talk to people I don't know in a public place let alone pay someone in a restaurant, I have really bad social skills so my fiancé has todo all the talking and paying bills on my behalf, I hope one day I will be able todo normal everyday things by myself. It's just really hard over coming the anxiety.

Heather

I'm always with a group so I tend to just follow their lead.  When I was younger, I remember my dad going up to the front to pay usually.  But when I have gone out with friends, one of us is usually paying debit, and so we wait for the server to come back.  I don't think I would go to a restaurant by myself.  In fact I hardly go to them anymore.  I just follow what my friends do, mostly it's about paying at the table. 

Willow

Hmm, I agree it's easiest when paying by card. But we sometimes have cash - plus the chain of restaurants we go to are always so busy, so the waitress never seems to come back/never see us trying to get their attention! :(

Heather
Hmm, I agree it's easiest when paying by card. But we sometimes have cash - plus the chain of restaurants we go to are always so busy, so the waitress never seems to come back/never see us trying to get their attention! :(

Ahh that's not good. :( I don't even know how to help, unless there's someone who you are on friendly terms with, or a family member, and you could go out to dinner with them and if they are more confident, they might be more confident to get their attention.  Or you could always try and go up to the front desk and ask them if you could pay there.  Though they might just say pay your server, but maybe then the people at the front could call your server?  Or just wait and keep making eye contact/looking at them, smiling... maybe they'll get the hint.  Though thinking of it, I would be anxious in that situation too.  I'm not good at speaking loudly.

Willow
Ahh that's not good. :( I don't even know how to help, unless there's someone who you are on friendly terms with, or a family member, and you could go out to dinner with them and if they are more confident, they might be more confident to get their attention.  Or you could always try and go up to the front desk and ask them if you could pay there.  Though they might just say pay your server, but maybe then the people at the front could call your server?  Or just wait and keep making eye contact/looking at them, smiling... maybe they'll get the hint.  Though thinking of it, I would be anxious in that situation too.  I'm not good at speaking loudly.

It's difficult because the only time we decide to eat at a more expensive restaurant (where this is usually a problem) it's because we're on a date, so to speak - usually for our anniversary or one of our birthdays, oh and Valentines Day - so taking someone else isn't really ideal! I think, to an extent, paying the bill isn't as difficult as if there's a problem with the food, because I'm okay to wait around at the end of the meal to grab attention, more than I am in the middle when food's going cold and I'm trying to tell them I need a drink, or that they did my food wrong!

Oh well! We don't go all that often, so I'm sure I'll cope. A few of you have said you raise your hand to get attention - but I'd feel so concious doing that! :(

Guest Chris
I just say 'I'll be back in a minute, just nipping to the cash point' That's the last they see of me. 

:lol::D

Yeah, we struggle with restaurants. We just seemt to be crap at getting the waiters attention. It especially sucks when we've waited 20 minutes, then they finally come over with the bill... then we have to get their attention again for them to come back with the card machine sometimes. I wonder what the longest we've sat waiting is... must be getting on for 3/4 of an hour lol.