Willow

Ordering/Paying for Food in a Restaurant

Heather
I'm not really a restaurant person as I'm the one who usually has to pay and I never know what to do.

Usually while we are waiting I start to look around the area and seee who is almost finished and see what they do.

If I am really confused I will usually hand them my card when I ask for the check, they will either take it and bring the check or tell me that I have to go somewhere else to pay.

That is good advice I think.. when you're about finished eating, get your debit card or cash out so you are ready to show it once the server comes back to clear the plates, and then they should take that hint I hope. :)

Whoknows

Ask. Ask for the bill, and it's over. Put the money or the card (make sure you get it back later), get the change and it's over.

Willow
Ask. Ask for the bill, and it's over. Put the money or the card (make sure you get it back later), get the change and it's over.

As I said, I'm aware how to do it, obviously - I just struggle. 

Whoknows

Is it really that difficult to get service? I just call the waiter, see the menu, ask for food, wait and talk, go wash my hands, eat it, pay, say goodbye, and leave.

Heather
Is it really that difficult to get service? I just call the waiter, see the menu, ask for food, wait and talk, go wash my hands, eat it, pay, say goodbye, and leave.

I think it's mostly just hard if it's a busy day and the waiter is taking longer to come back to see if you want to pay.. it can be difficult to get up the courage to ask for the waiter.. especially if you don't see them anywhere.. and if they do pass the table on the way to another table, it's hard to stop them.

This is why I like going out with my more outgoing friends or my family so I don't have to worry about it as much. :D  I think it's mostly hard if you are in a rush when eating and having to pay quickly to go somewhere else on time.. if you have all the time in the world, you can just talk more until they come back.

Toran

I know what you mean I find operating in social environments really confusing I never know how to attract the waitress or waiter always feel awkward or cumbersome whatever I do.The more people that are there the worse it is the only time im comfortable is if there is hardly anyone there but even then the waitress may come over ask how your meal is or start a light hearted conversation and I never know what to say usually something stupid. I just go up to the till and wait until somebody comes up to me. One trick is to have plenty of change to give the right money and a tip say a £1 if im feeling generous lol. That way you can hand it straight over no need for small talk or waiting around for card machines or change so you can leave quickly with little trouble I find it helps me a bit so its worth it.

spiderwoman0_2

I hate asking for things when ordering food incase I make myself look like an idiot!

Sofi
I hate asking for things when ordering food incase I make myself look like an idiot!

Me too :P I have often made myself look like an idiot in the past in those situations because I can't get all the words out correctly and end up saying something completely uncomprehending. Nowadays, I hardly go out to restaurants and if I have to, someone else will order for me, my mum will probably even decide what I'm going to eat because I can't make decisions if the choice of a menu is so vast. I especially hate it in small cafe type places, like Costa or something if you know that place, where you kind of have to decide really quickly what you want. My mum says "What do you want?" I hesitate for ages then when it is our time to order, I am just in a panic and say "Oh, I don't know!! You decide, I can't do this!!!" 

10 minutes later - "Mum, why did you get me THIS?! :("  :P 

iggy
Me too :P I have often made myself look like an idiot in the past in those situations because I can't get all the words out correctly and end up saying something completely uncomprehending. Nowadays, I hardly go out to restaurants and if I have to, someone else will order for me, my mum will probably even decide what I'm going to eat because I can't make decisions if the choice of a menu is so vast. I especially hate it in small cafe type places, like Costa or something if you know that place, where you kind of have to decide really quickly what you want. My mum says "What do you want?" I hesitate for ages then when it is our time to order, I am just in a panic and say "Oh, I don't know!! You decide, I can't do this!!!" 

10 minutes later - "Mum, why did you get me THIS?! :("  :P 

Oh yes. Just pick something, they say. I can't do that I am not spontaneous. Although hungry, when I look at food on a menu none of it sounds appetising even if I would eat most of it when given. I just can't make the decision quickly. I like going to places where you have to choose your food first (like if you are in a large group). Also this attracts conversation to people around you and it's easy just to listen, but that's irrelevant.

spiderwoman0_2

10 minutes later - "Mum, why did you get me THIS?! :("   :P

I know just what you mean, I'm very indecisive when it comes to choosing anything and spend ages looking at everything, I'd never go to subway.