Willow

Ordering/Paying for Food in a Restaurant

Bongo

I have had this problem. Luckily I normally have a support worker or family with me who can help me if I get stuck or have some anxiety (normally happens if theres large amounts of people)

Much prefer when the waiter comes to your table to take your order then going up to a busy bar/lounge area to order food.

I found the way to dealing with it is to put your knife and fork on the plate together (not crossed over but together flat to signal you are finished eating), and then when the waiter comes to take your plate and/or glass away you can say "can we have the bill please" then you can pay and leave.

I like cooking but I am a fan of going out to eat occasionally too (probably once a month as a treat I set around £30-£40 aside for it), especially at all-you-can-eat buffets (Chinese and Italian food are my favourite). I love my food!  :D

Edited by Bongo

Nesf

I have had this problem. Luckily I normally have a support worker or family with me who can help me if I get stuck or have some anxiety (normally happens if theres large amounts of people)

Much prefer when the waiter comes to your table to take your order then going up to a busy bar/lounge area to order food.

I found the way to dealing with it is to put your knife and fork on the plate together (not crossed over but together flat to signal you are finished eating), and then when the waiter comes to take your plate and/or glass away you can say "can we have the bill please" then you can pay and leave.

I like cooking but I am a fan of going out to eat occasionally too (probably once a month as a treat I set around £30-£40 aside for it), especially at all-you-can-eat buffets (Chinese and Italian food are my favourite). I love my food!  :D

I love eat all you can buffets, too, and always have my plate piled way high with food, which sometimes attracts a few looks in my direction but i don't care, I like my food! Chinese and Indian are my favourites.

HenryVIII

I love eat all you can buffets, too, and always have my plate piled way high with food, which sometimes attracts a few looks in my direction but i don't care, I like my food! Chinese and Indian are my favourites.

Me too !!

Chinese buffets are my favourite.

HenryVIII

For reasons I don't fully undersand I can never get excited about reading a menu.

Either I have no idea what all the foreign words mean or the description leaves me cold.

If I go to a buffet restaurant though I am immediately hungry and excited and can't wait to fill my plate.  It must be something to do with the sight of the food rather than the sight of a description of the food.

ASDCommunity

Depends on the restaurant. If it is a mod to expensive restaurant or a formal restaurant then after you have finished or have decided you are wanting to leave, call over the waiters that you see and tell them you would like to settle your bill. If you are not able to attract their attention. Stand up. If they are not scrambling, walk to the till and square up tour bill there. 

More informal restaurants are happy for you to pay before you leave. (Generally at the entrance of the restaurant) 

Toran

The all you can eat restaurant reminds me of my late father.

He loved his food and piled his plate up like a pyramid on his plate.

Everyone told him to go careful but he said he was hungry going to get my money's worth.

When he was walking back to the table roast potatoes pig in blankets sprouts carrots were falling off his plate all the way to the table it was a right mess.

Now he's gone we still laugh at his antics he was really embarrass when staff were coming along and picking it up all the way to the table lol

ASDCommunity

The all you can eat restaurant reminds me of my late father.

He loved his food and piled his plate up like a pyramid on his plate.

Everyone told him to go careful but he said he was hungry going to get my money's worth.

When he was walking back to the table roast potatoes pig in blankets sprouts carrots were falling off his plate all the way to the table it was a right mess.

Now he's gone we still laugh at his antics he was really embarrass when staff were coming along and picking it up all the way to the table lol

The waiters and the restaurant staff probably don't remember and neither would the other patrons. It is good that in something like this seen out of context of time and place becomes an endearing memory. 

I am not being facetious. I believe that she we go that the thing that we are left with is the memories we pass on and the children and generations that go forward. In this small way and in a trait and value that was obviously so him, he left a memory that survives him and pleases the people thinking on it. That I think is something really special. I do hope that when I die that my children think on such things and not with remorse or with sorrow but with joy and amusement. 

aspiesw

It’s not often that me and Chris venture into an actual restaurant, let alone an expensive one – so I always have a sense of dread wash over me when we have decided to eat somewhere nice, and the bill has arrived: what do I do?

I mean, obviously, I know I have to pay – but I just don’t know how to. Do I wait like an idiot until the waitress decides to come back to our table? Do I leave the money and walk out? Do I venture up to where there appears to be a till? I just don’t know. And it’s different everywhere. Whilst we may get used to leaving the money and walking out in one place, it might be unacceptable to do that somewhere else.

Does anyone else have this issue/know what to do?

I only really go to Nandos, and you have to go up to the till and pay to order your food, so that's never really a problem for me. Whenever I order food from Wetherspoons, the waiter/floor staff member comes round to ask how my food is, I'm not really sure how to tell them without appearing to be rude (I'm not actually being rude). I tend to swerve restaurants whenever possible, my perfect date/night out is a pack of sweets and the Simpsons. P.s. Sorry if that was ridiculously off topic

Ben

Me too !!

Chinese buffets are my favourite.

I once ate so much at one of those things, I passed out at the table.

The waiter came over and said; "Sir! Sir! Are you ok Sir?" 

I just got up very slowly and stumbled over to the exit. On my journey over to the exit, I had the 'Roman feast'  idea pop into my head of; "Should I induce vomiting so I can go back and continue eating?" 

I wisely decided against it... 

I went to the all you can eat Rodizio next instead...