Kuribo [old account]

Tell FDA to Ban JRC's Electric Shock

Kuribo [old account]

Cross-posted from another forum.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is considering an important action that would ban the use of devices that use electric shock for behavior modification. This action has the potential to close the Judge Rotenberg Center, an institution in Massachusetts which uses contingent electric shocks as a method of behavioral control.

The United Nations Special Rapporteur on Torture has declared the use of electric shock as torture, and the U.S. Department of Justice initiated a civil rights investigation into the JRC’s practices. The JRC’s founder, Matthew Israel, was forced to resign after facing charges for destroying video evidence of abuses of the GED electric shock device. Contrary to the JRC’s claims, not only do students receive electric shocks for relatively minor behaviors such as standing up from a desk or swearing as well as for potentially dangerous behaviors, but severe self-injurious and destructive behaviors can be successfully treated using methods other than abuse and torture. In legislative hearings each year on legislation that would ban the shocks, professionals with expertise in developmental and intellectual disabilities testify about the ineffectiveness of electric shock and the myriad options for addressing problematic behavior other than electric shocking. There are no scientific, peer-reviewed studies that show any long-term efficacy of electric shock as a treatment, but there are documented cases of former JRC students receiving diagnoses of post-traumatic stress disorder after leaving the JRC.

We need to assure the FDA receives as much written testimony as possible regarding this issue. The deadline for submitting statements is this Monday, April 14th.

Your written statement can be any length and can contain any information you want - your opinion about the use of electric shock for behavior modification, other ways of supporting people who have dangerous or difficult behaviors, issues of ethics and rights, research, etc. All comments are important and welcome.

Comments can be received on or before April 14th, and can be submitted electronically by April 14th here:

http://www.regulations.gov/#!submitComment;D=FDA-2014-N-0238-0001

Click on the link above and you will receive a form. You can type (or copy and paste) your statement there or upload a document. You can choose to give contact information or to submit anonymously.

Your statement must be received by April 14th.

Edited by Kuribo

Xenolith

Are foreign citizens allowed to have a say in the matter?

Kuribo [old account]

Are foreign citizens allowed to have a say in the matter?

Yes. It's not necessary to provide any contact or location details.

Kuribo [old account]

Bump.

Please make a statement if you haven't already. Can be as little as one sentence.

Sofi

Hi. I wrote a statement. I don't think it is very good though because I'm not a good official writer, if it's a really official campaign, but I said I am a person with developmental disabilities.  

Kuribo [old account]

Hi. I wrote a statement. I don't think it is very good though because I'm not a good official writer, if it's a really official campaign, but I said I am a person with developmental disabilities.

Thank you Sofi. It doesn't matter if it's not perfect. As long as an understandable statement has been made, it's fine. It's just important that as many people as possible make a statement on this.

Xenolith

I've written a statement. I hope this goes through - I had no idea such barbaric practices were still being used.

Kuribo [old account]

I've written a statement. I hope this goes through - I had no idea such barbaric practices were still being used.

As far as I'm aware, the Judge Rotenberg Center in Massachusetts is the only treatment facility in the USA to make use of this treatment. Only students and residents who's treatment plans were approved before 2011 receive this treatment, but this still isn't good enough.

I won't post it here because it could upset people, but there exists a video from the JRC of a boy being restrained, face-down and shocked while screaming for help. It's disgraceful that the facility remained open after this was shown to the masses.

Please could someone explain this is a simpler/more summarised way. I don't really understand it.

Xenolith

Please could someone explain this is a simpler/more summarised way. I don't really understand it.

From what I understand:

There's a facility in the United States which provides 'treatments' for children and adults with severe behavioural or emotional disorders. Unfortunately, some of these treatments involve administering powerful electric shocks to their patients in an attempt to change their behaviour. This is an attempt to ban the facility from using these electric shocks as a way to change behaviour.